Switch from Sennheiser HD650 to [insert headphone here]?
Nov 6, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #16 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by munchzilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
was actually considering the Grado RS1, but I don't know about the soundstage on these. have you compared to the HD650 so I don't do a "downgrade" in soundstage?

thanks

As the drivers on the RS1s sit right on your ears, the soundstage puts you more in front row of a concert, the HD650s set you a little further back. If soundstage is your major criteria, then go for the AKG K701s...nothing can touch them when it comes to soundstage.

I happily own both the HD650 and RS1 and I would say the RS1s are my favourite can (although my Denon D7000s have been making this statement harder and harder to say). I listen to a lot of rock (Led Zeppelin, Beatles, The Who, Rush, Black Sabbath, etc...) and nothing beats Grados when it comes to rock. And in my humble opinion, the RS1s are the best representation of that classic Grado rock sound in their entire lineup.

They are easy to drive so a $500 amp is not needed...unlike my HD650s with upgraded cables and powerful amp (oh the money I've sunk into them). Don't get me wrong I still do very much enjoy them, but they have cost me more $$$ than any headphone I've ever owned. Kind of like the wife/girlfriend of the headphone world.

Nov 6, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #17 of 76
hmm, I honestly think I should give the K701 another try, cause when I first tried them it was just very lacking in details and clearness, but that was probably because I ran them straight to my laptops soundcard.
have you too tried any of the Audio Technicas?

Nov 6, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #18 of 76
Definitely give the k701s another try. when they are properly amped, they are one of the clearest and most detailed phones i've heard in that price range. Only thing that they miss is a bit of midbass. Soundstage is also in another league compared to the 650s and if you like bright but not harsh then these will do the trick.

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #19 of 76
Quote:

hmm, I honestly think I should give the K701 another try, cause when I first tried them it was just very lacking in details and clearness, but that was probably because I ran them straight to my laptops soundcard.
have you too tried any of the Audio Technicas?

Honestly the K701s are among the clearest and most revealing headphones out there! I had a hard time trying to determine if the HD800s were better in this area when I did an A/B comparison at my buddy's place. But (and this is a big but) they need a great amp to properly amp them.

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #21 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard the K701, but I've never seen them described as 'fun', for that Grado is the obvious is the choice. But as have been mentioned, soundstaging is anything but expansive.

You are absolutely correct AKGs and Grados are very different. Grado's are incredibly fun for rock (but not the best for soundstage); while the K701s rule in the area of soundstage and clarity but not as fun as Grado cans.

Nice to have both...and if my brother could find the ones I lent him months ago I too could have both again. It's funny, my little brother has been doing this too me my whole life...to bad he's now 33 years old!

Nov 7, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #22 of 76
haha I guess we all have a little different definition of fun. but the K701 suddenly seem a lot more attractive...
hmm.
still curious about the audio technicas though, not very experienced with those~

thanks!

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #25 of 76
haha...nah unfortunately. I don't have much experience with them. Seriously, we have like one audiophile shop here and it's really really expensive. lol. And I don't know many serious audio peeps here =(

The K701s seem to be very much a select few or well, some people really like it and others realllllllly hate it. lol. Audio Technicas seem to be really popular.

Sorry I can't be of much help though! If my wallet permitted, I'd help everyone with better inputs =(

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #26 of 76
Quote:

haha I guess we all have a little different definition of fun. but the K701 suddenly seem a lot more attractive...
hmm.
still curious about the audio technicas though, not very experienced with those~

thanks!

You could also seek out a pair of AT woodies. They're fun. A bit colored, but they can be quite nice in the mids.

Personally, I can't stand the K701 and think it would be a disappointment coming from the 650. However, I do agree that it has a better soundstage. To me, the Senns suffer from the Three Blobs Effect. That is remedied with the HD800.

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #27 of 76
Go for something 'safer' and not get the k701s. I don't get the dislike/loathe/global condemnation but then others don't get the like/love/fanaticism etc. It's a strange world.

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #28 of 76
haha we have it like that too or yet even worse... no grados, no senns above HD555, only a few AKG's very overpriced... well you get it!
crappy speakers etc.

anyway, have until december to consider what headphones to buy... still going to be asking about the audio technicas
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back