Switch Box Grounding Scheme and Switch Selection
Nov 15, 2009 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bmwpowere36m3

100+ Head-Fier
I started my own thread as my post in another thread wasn't going anywhere. I'm looking to build a switch box and thinking of 3+ Inputs and 5+ Outputs, my questions are two-fold.

One, if I choose to switch grounds I'll need two 3 pole switches that are make before break. Two, if I choose NOT to switch grounds I'll need two 2 pole switches that are break before make. VT4C has some switches (VR-S2x5 & SW-2-5), but there is no mention of switch type (break before or after).

I've read that Electroswitch C4 or C12 is recommended from Mouser. So I'm looking for recommendations for switching type (grounds) and switches themselves. Nothing fancy (expensive) like Elma or DACT.

Thanks.

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 5
Why 3 poles? I'd think you'd want either two or four (the later for switching grounds). I assume the idea with 3 is that you'd sum the grounds from channel to channel? I think not switching the grounds but leaving them separate would be better.

That Electroswitch looks nice, but I haven't used it. I have used grayhill switches that are similar. The tiny terminals can be a little trickier. Use little wire! I personally like the Lorlin switches from Mouser. They aren't as fancy, but they are cheaper and have nice big terminals!

Paul

Nov 20, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 5
Most commercial equipment sums the grounds between channels internally, so not alot of point to going 4P. The Electroswitch parts are supposed to be nice, but I've never used them. They do have a reputation to somewhat high turning force, so take that into account when sizing knobs, etc. if you go that route.

Nov 21, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 5
Well, I decided that if I going to do it, i'll do it right and switch the grounds as well (just in case). I really like a relay based switchbox, but I'll save that for my "next build." All my gear is SE, so the grounds are connected anyway either in the device or the cable and it'll be sometime before I switch to balanced.

I so I decided to go with two Electroswitch C4D0406S-A, they're four pole, 6 position, shorting switches. I went with the four pole because the three pole were only available in 4 or 12 position (I'll only use 3 poles anyway).

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #5 of 5
How did this project go??

I'm about to do something similar and would welcome any tips along the way.

I've Googled the life out of my computer and have not found anything helpful in relation to what I'm thinking of doing.
What I have is several tape decks (cassette & reel to reel) a digital recorder and some other input things. I want to be able to have 5 or 6 inputs AND the same number of outputs. This is because I want to be able to select any input and route it to any other deck/recorder/speaker as needed. So for example I can route cassette deck in and out to the R2R OR digital recorder as desired.

The in/outs will need to be balanced XLR and I guess I'll need two rotary selectors.

I just thought, in addition to the above, I'd like to be able to have a permanent route to powered speakers no matter what combination of the other in/out I have.

Any tips or schematics???

Regards
John
I'm guessing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back