Sweet sound for <250
Sep 14, 2009 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

flexium

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I bought a pair of RP-21 and mylarone x3i about 1.5 years ago...I am pretty satisfied by the mylarone x3i but not so much RP-21.

RP-21 gave me the isolation i needed for dorm life. RP-21 is definitely a good start for me but I think I need an upgrade. It is not clear enough for me especially when compared with x3i. The sound stage is really tiny too. Maybe my ears got better and I want something more.

I want some much more clarity, and more sound stage. An overall upgrade or even a different sound. I don't need the isolation anymore so this upgrade will probably be open headphone since they offer better sound/price ratio.

So I looked through the forum for some time. And I think ATH-AD900 might be a good pair of cans for me. Other cans I am considering is Senn 595. I don't want anything too agressive. Grados is probably out.

Any support for AD900? Other suggestions are also appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Note: comfort is a must.

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 14
I own the AD900s. Airy, vast soundstage and details exuded are excellent. Only thing bad about it is the grain (discernible in mids/treble).

Also owned the AD700s which had even more grain. Since many people here don't even hear the grain, I'm guessing that my ears are special.
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 14
Grain makes the treble seem unnatural, dry, flaky. You hear these tiny speckles in the music. Mind you it's not discernible in all songs (with my setup at least). But it is pretty annoying.

I've read somewhere that the RP21s also have grain in the higher frequencies. Can't comment on that since I don't own them.

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #6 of 14
Expand your budget a bit, and you can pick up a used pair of HD600 and get a halfway decent amp to power them well. Fantastic.

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #7 of 14
I don't hear much of them....I think I hear some flaky sound but I almost always thought it is the quality of the musics and the recording. I have mostly 128-256 bitrate mp3. If I can't hear it, then it's not a problem right? hahah

So AD900 is a good choice??

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 14
It actually doesn't bother me that much.

I have a good metaphor for it.

Lets say you have someTV's
with the first TV, it's a standard definition television- low resolution.
Obviously it looks pretty poor compared to a HDTV
(crappy headphones)

The second TV is a nice HDTV with a high resolution, but the picture is grainy
The picture is much much clearer, but at the same time, you can see the grain.
(AD700, etc.)

The second TV is preferred by far, but that doesn't mean it's not without it's defects.

There might be a third TV that is just as detailed as the second, that doesn't have any grain... but it'll cost alot more.

The grain is basically very slight static that comes along with the very high detail in these phones.
As dissembled has said, some don't even notice it.

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Expand your budget a bit, and you can pick up a used pair of HD600 and get a halfway decent amp to power them well. Fantastic.

I don't think I will get an amp. At least not any time soon. That's why I am avoiding any cans that need an amp. Thanks for the suggestion tho.
biggrin.gif

About the grain.
I don't hear much of them....I think I hear some flaky sound but I almost always thought it is the quality of the musics and the recording. I have mostly 128-256 bitrate mp3. If I can't hear it, then it's not a problem right? hahah

So AD900 is a good choice??

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #10 of 14
Yes, it's a good choice. I'm very picky about my gear and hence my negativity. But all things considered, it really is a good all-rounder. Bass hits hard when it needs to. Vocals come through loud and clear and the treble is quite sparkly. Does well with all genres.
(I listen to Nirvana, Xiu Xiu, To Kill a Petty Bourgeoisie, Chevelle, Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Interpol, etc, etc)

With the X Walkman, all is perfect. Besides the grain at least.

Come look at the AD900 Appreciation thread.

Sep 15, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #12 of 14
check out the stax 005a system. it consists of the 003 headphones and the srm 252 amp. you should be able to pick it up used for around $250, maybe less. you'll be very pleasantly surprised at how awesome it is. euphonic, smooth, effortless sound with an incredible amount of detail. it's a great introduction to stax and i really don't think it gets enough credit as a popular choice but if you read up some impressions and reviews they're very very well liked by those who own them (myself included).

Sep 15, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #14 of 14
HD 600 needs amping.... Don't want to do amps...

I am a little worried about AD900 sounding too bright or shrieks too much

Kinda scared to go into stax...what if i keep on going deeper and deeper in to head fi...stax are so upper end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back