Sweeney Todd
Dec 30, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #2 of 24
I haven't seen the movie but I enjoyed the old VHS version with Angela Lansbury.

I just did a needledrop of the 2 LP set with Angela Lansbury and the sound is grand.

Dec 30, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 24
Many years ago I visited the Uris Theater on Broadway and saw Angela Lansbury in Sweeney Todd. I didn't like it then and I still don't.

Who thought it was a good idea to write a musical about a barber who slits customers throats, delivers the bodies via a trap door to a woman who then turns them into meat pies?

Unsettling at least.

Dec 30, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i can't stand musicals and they are even worse when translated to film.

I like musicals when they are performed on stage and I do agree that they are usually, if not always, awful when translated to film.

Dec 30, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 24
As I said in the "Rate The Last Movie That You Saw" thread, I am not a Broadway musical fan either. However, I thought that the newest version of "Sweeney Todd..." is quite good. I have seen a few musicals on Broadway and there are many where the actors aren't primarily singers. I mean the singing in the typical musical is seldomly meant to be operatic in nature like let's say "Phantom Of The Opera," or "Cats." Have you seen "Spamalot?" Johnny Depp does a very good job with the material. The story, the performances, and the Tim Burton spin are first rate. I think that this movie is going to win some awards.

Dec 31, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree. The sound of music and Mary Poppins is fantastic.

I hate musicals generally. But yes, the Sound of Music is really a charmer of a film.

Dec 31, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by homers54321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont know why johnny depp chose to do this musical. imo, he should do some more serious projects like Blow. now that was a good movie

I guess Johnny Depp likes to try a bit of everything. I actually like his films usually. But this one, may be because of harshness in the speakers at the theater, plus (to me) pointless bloody scenes, it became a bad experience after 30 minutes.

Dec 31, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #13 of 24
I watched it, and while I usually enjoy musicals, I didn't particularily enjoy Sweeney Todd. It was a lot darker than I liked (it was Tim Burton, after all), but I can't criticize Johnny Depp for his acting or singing. He sang well (imo), and did a much better job than Helena Bonham Carter. Her voice sounded highly EQ'd in the mixing process. The other characters were pretty good too.

I just didn't like the premise of the movie, as well as the cartoony gore. The songs were kinda catchy though, so I might have to grab the soundtrack (probly original broadway version).

Dec 31, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree. The sound of music and Mary Poppins is fantastic.

While Mary Poppins is now playing on Broadway, it was based on the film, i.e. the movie was not based on a stage play. The Sound of Music was an okay film adaptation but the best adaptation of a musical from stage to screen is West Side Story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back