SWAN Speakers
Sep 22, 2005 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

RageX

New Head-Fier
I've been browsing through the forums and saw that many people recommended the Swans m200 for multimedia speaker purposes; recently my local computer store started carrying swan systems besides the m200, so i was wondering if any of u have experience with the other models such as :

M20-L Specs
S400 Specs
T120 Specs

Swans Website

btw : if i wanted to buy them home and try them i would have to pay restocking fee if i returned them so i posted this instead cuz im poor :weep:

Many thnx
M20-L
mul_m20l_b.jpg

S400
dulcet_s400_b.jpg

T120
hivi-t120_b.jpg

Feb 9, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 19
I had the T120's. I bought them from Newegg but returned them. They are gorgeous speakers but after comparing them to the Videologic Sciroccos I already had, the Videologics had a better midrange. The T120's are less forward, and the Videologics subwoofer is better.

The bass from the T120's seemed light to me (no slam or impact) and I thought it might have been because of standing waves. However, I was limited as to where I could place the sub.. it did get better after some break in time but while these are good speakers, the Videologics were better.

I have never heard the M200's but I would bet they are better than the T120's and are worth the extra price (if in fact they cost more). Despite my returning them, they are still very good speakers. I just think the Videologics are exceptionally good (for computer use).

What are the prices at this store for all these models?

Feb 10, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
Does anyone sells the M200 beside newegg and ebay? Please help me look, i've been trying to locate them and it's really fustrating.

You might try The audioinsider . Just a week or two ago they had the M200's listed for $189 but now that page seems to have disappeared. I suggest logging into their forum and asking Jon Lane, the moderator, where you can buy them. Normally newegg is the best source but they've been sold out for a while with no eta.

Feb 10, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #8 of 19
I saw that Newegg is carrying tons of Swans models now, and if you go to the Swans/HiVi website they have what seems like 100-200 different speaker models. I wasn't able to find any review information out there on them though.

Feb 10, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #10 of 19
the sub specs on all those models is less than impressive..
rolleyes.gif

Feb 11, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by familyman
the sub specs on all those models is less than impressive..
rolleyes.gif

To be expected though... The subs are just low powered 6" drivers - to call them subs is almost misleading as they really can't produce any low bass. They probably provide ample (overblown) mid-bass though which is what average joe-shmoe mistakes as "good" bass.

Feb 11, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwisatz
To be expected though... The subs are just low powered 6" drivers - to call them subs is almost misleading as they really can't produce any low bass. They probably provide ample (overblown) mid-bass though which is what average joe-shmoe mistakes as "good" bass.

Yet Swam claims that the sub produces "ULTRA BASS".... riiiight...
confused.gif
. Sometimes, the manufacturer extends the truth a little too far.

Feb 11, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Oh c'mon, you can't be THAT critical of something you've never heard before
tongue.gif
The aego 2 uses the same "sub" too, and it isn't that bad. (yes the mid-bass is humped up, but not by that much, when the minimum bass setting is used anyway)

The woody-ness of the speakers look very attractive, imo
smily_headphones1.gif

btw, does that shop carry the M20-5.1 as well? That setup has a better spec'ed woofer.

Feb 11, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #15 of 19
I'm not really being heavily critical on them, just realistic... If anything I was just trying to point out that you're not going to get good specs with a design like that no matter what. =) For what they are, I imagine they're fitting enough. After all, it would be a bit lopsided to have a high performance sub paired with small 1 way satellite speakers hehe. Manufacturer hyperbole not withstanding, based on their reputation I'd wager that they're decent little setups in their own right. Just don't expect too much from a multimedia system like that and all should be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back