Swan D1080 or KRK RP8 or M-audio AV40
May 6, 2011 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nickziverts

New Head-Fier
First I started by buying a Logitech z2300 system. I have thoroughly enjoyed the bass and the satelites were lacking. I had a problem with the sub rattling after about a year, and Logitech replaced them with the Z623s. The woofer especially does not compare to the one of the z623s. So that brings me to here, I am looking to take the next step in audio performance. I like a lot of bass heavy music, I enjoy listening to dubstep, electronic, rock, oldies, and alternative genres of music. I have been looking at monitor style speakers like the Swan D1080, KRK RP8, and M-Audio AV40. I will be adding a subwoofer later, probably a 10 or 12 inch woofer,  but will be use the z623's woofer for now. Also, how would I connect the woofer to the monitor speakers. For a computer, I am using a 13 inch Macbook Pro.

May 6, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 5
For monitors you'll ideally want to use balanced connections. I just posted in another post, but, i am using RP6g2 with a Lexicon i-onix u22 as my USB DAC. http://www.lexiconpro.com/product.php?id=154

The u22 has TRS out, so it plugs right into my Rokit speakers. The RP8's are BIG, and, to be honest, the RP6's have enough bass that i dont feel the need for a sub (but, that is just me). If you are going the Sub route, you probably dont need the big RP8's

May 6, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the reply, I was leaning towards the KRKs but I really like the swans finish much more than the KRKs. I am really into a lot of bass, so I will be definitely upgrading my current subwoofer with something larger. How would I connect my current subwoofer to the new monitor speakers?

May 6, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 5
i imagine it will work like this: (link to KRK sub image)

http://www.prosound-dj.com/images/KRK/additional/bk_krk_rp10s.jpg

There are two TRS input connections on the sub. (L/R) Now all of the sound is going to the sub. Take the L/R XLR out and run that to the appropriate speaker, and set the low pass filter and you're done :)

I am not familiar with the Swans, but, i have heard good things, but the connections may be different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back