Suzuki Hayabusa - A 6 year long dream and obssession! turns into reality!
Jun 16, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #31 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
iirc it matches the maclaren f1 almost evenly in the quarter mile. no contest for, say a lambo.

the sad part for the 'bussa is the turn at the end of the 1/4mi straightaway. slowing down to get passed by a car suxors on a bike.

after that its a mater of how much straight ther is for how much curve.

for all but the most dumb money, you wont find a faster accelerating production recriprocating piston engine vehicle off the showroom floor.

Jun 16, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #32 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
Wow Snake...That's pretty agressive and you are stereotypically lumping people from all walks of life into one group. There's a difference between putting on a Vance and Hines 4 into 2 into 1 sport pipe to improve performance, and someone removing a header on a Harley.

A Vance and Hines from the factory isn't very "noisey". Hey, I have a Kerker on my bike and it's throaty but not "noisey". It's morons who remove the packing from any canister - Harley, factory, aftermarket cruiser, performance slip-on sport - that's the problem.

And, for what it's worth, adding a Vance and Hines / Yosh / et al on modern bikes really doesn't get much performance anyway nowadays. It's mostly weight savings and maybe, if you are very lucky, 5 HP on the top end...with a bit of loss on the midrange. The factory pipes have become so good that the "performance" increase has been shown (by the bike rags) to be mostly a dream. If you seriously hop-up the engine then that pipe swap really does show up then.

Jun 16, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #33 of 214
I added a SS2R to my Katana 1100, because I wanted a bike that didn't sound tinny, and to get better performance. With a jet kit, I didn't lose anything in the midrange, and on the Dyno, using before and after test results, I gained 15 H.P.
I'm a little rusty on bikes made after 2000, but if you say that the stock pipes have improved, it will make me happy for my next venture.

We should have a "Post Pictures of your Bike" thread. I'll have to wash mine, to post, if someone doesn't start a thread first.

Jun 16, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #34 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
iirc it matches the maclaren f1 almost evenly in the quarter mile. no contest for, say a lambo.

Gets smoked in this vid (top end).
icon10.gif

http://www.planetvids.com/html/Top-Speed-Challenge.html

Jun 16, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #36 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
person! A Caterham now this?!?! You have such good taste
tongue.gif

Incidentally the catty also has a Busa engine. This alteration was done 8 months back by my uncle who threw out the ford lump.

I would never have bought the Busa here if I had the Catty to play with...I prefer the catty over ANYTHING...

If you can afford a catty - get the classic and have a blast!

gs

Jun 16, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #37 of 214
Have fun with your new toy, Guru.

Be safe and watch out for yourself out there. It always the other drivers that you should worry about.

Be sure to get all the kewl and expensive kevlar gear to save your hide (literally).

Road rash ain't pretty.

-Ed

Jun 16, 2005 at 6:32 AM Post #39 of 214
Congrats, superb motorcycle, Busa is.

I also admire your healthy attitude.
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I think being scared is good...I can be scared without losing confidence...a little bit of "fear" in the back of the mind is always good
tongue.gif

Safe and fun riding!
(^o^)v

Jun 16, 2005 at 11:41 AM Post #42 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
ROFLMFAO
biggrin.gif
That's just too funny... Thanks for the laugh!

It was originally posted by BHD1812 in another thread, but I thought it was perfect for this one. The person who took that pic, has a great imagination.

Jun 16, 2005 at 11:43 AM Post #43 of 214
Congratulations! I think the Hayabusa will fit your demands, in the later post, very well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I am VERY aware of the safety concerns. Enrolled for a 2 week long riding program which deals with everything that there is to learn about normal road riding (first week) and advanced performance riding (second week). I start on Monday and they supply the bikes (Honda Goldwings for the first week and GSX-750s for the second week) so no problem scratching them up.

Very good thing to do. That cannot be stressed enough. In many European countries a botorbike drivers licence is compulsory. Usually, you also need a special one for bikes above 125 or 400cc. Both licences entails a lot of training, guided practising and theory. I am almost getting cold when I think of that it is possible for an individual just to use a (any) motorbike without proper prior training on piublic roads.[/QUOTE]

Quote:

My experience with bikes is severely limited to classicand vintage sports bikes. I have a Royal Enfield Bullet (400 cc single cylinder "Thumper" from 1960) and a Matchless (again 1958 350cc thumper). The performance bridge from those bikes to the Hayabusa is HUGE...incomparable! I was breathless just doing 80 on the freeway...the sense of space, power, speed is UNREAL!

Yeah those mashines are really nice, to look at...
tongue.gif
But as to safety, they are light years from modern bikes. I would even say that a late 1980s bike is also very far away from the safety level of the last 10 years sports bikes. The technology has just come so much farther in frame rigidity, suspension, brakes, tyres and compound quality.

Quote:

The worst thing...80mph feels like a stop-sign
rolleyes.gif

They could sell this bike with 3 gears...I never once got into fourth...getting into 3rd was a HUGE occasion
tongue.gif

Yeah...I hope the training will help and I WILL take it slow and steady until I build up:-
a) Fear
b) Confidence

I think being scared is good...I can be scared without losing confidence...a little bit of "fear" in the back of the mind is always good
tongue.gif
Now I am more worried about other drivers bumping me around...seen a LOT of that...people just dont seem to be able to see bikes on the road.

Fear is your guardian angel! Motor bikers without any, won’t last long. It’s simple as that.

And mate, stay away from the cars! Always keep the distances. Never count on that you have priority at cross-roads; always check the mirrors; and always leave situations of intimidation (somebody wants to race you, tries to squeeze you out or using rude gestures).

Quote:

Anyone else nearly take a crap when you suddenly have to come to a halt from 80mph on a heavy fast bike? Yeah...it is fun but a good lesson in keeping distance t the vehile in front
tongue.gif
Hairy stuff!!

Yeah! Those Hayabusa brakes are made for a 180mph full braking without any serious fading. That says a lot about their potential and stopping power at normal speeds
cool.gif
I once rode full throttle in Germany, something I will never do again BTW
plainface.gif
Useless, extremely fatiguing and dangerous. But in the end of the long straight, that corner approached very quickly. I have the bad habit of only braking with two fingers and I though OMG this won’t be enough. Grabbing the leaver will all fingers, however, taught me what tremendous modern sports brakes are in comparison to, say 15 years ago. Really a confidence inspiring feeling: The hotter the brakes got the better bite. No trace of fading: Awesome...

Take care.

My old horse (not mine but same model, year and colours)

Jun 16, 2005 at 11:47 AM Post #44 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
A co-worker showed me a video today of a turbocharged Busa. The rider had a camera aimed at the dash the entire time.

It was disgusting watching how fast the needle went from 80-95-110-130...just like someone was moving it with their finger. Then when it came time to shed that speed, you would have thought it ran into a wall it slowed down so fast
eek.gif

I have that vid. The freakin' speedometer moves as fast as my car's tachometer, and my car isn't slow!

I also have a video of a turbo 'Busa with a measly 499 HP. I'll be glad to donate either vid if there's any interest (and if anyone has any hosting space).

Jun 16, 2005 at 1:42 PM Post #45 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
The limiter is in the gearing, by my understanding, and was done for europe. 184mph is 300kph. That seems to be what most vehicles get limited to...

Hayabusa´s build 1999 and 2000 were still unrestricted in Europe. After that, the on-board computer restricted the top speed by means of choking the ignition.

The restriction can apparently be by-passed fairly easy. Personally, I don´t see the benefit. Besides, the speedometer only has indications to 300 km/h anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back