Suspecting a buyer scam, should I point it out or claim insurance?
Jan 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

flargosa

500+ Head-Fier
I recently sold a 9.5/10 condition Meier Concerto amp to a zero feedback, just registered, zero post buyer. The amp was shipped insured to his Paypal confirmed address and bubble wrap 3-4 layers with foam on the inside of the box for added padding.  He contacted me this morning and wants a refund, claims the amp is not working, has two dents on the front panel, and the headphone jack is loose. Not the condition I ship it in.   I ask him what the state of the box is, he says it is in good condition with no dents or holes anywhere.  I smell a scam and suspect the buyer may be switching items on me.  What would you do?

1. File for insurance and let UPS inspect for possible shipping damage.

2. Point out your suspicions to the buyer.

Amp prior to shipping, no dents.  Lights show it is working(click to enlarge)

More pics of the amp here.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/589329/fs-ft-meier-concerto-9-5-10-condition-price-drop#post_8072851

Buyer sent me these pictures.(click to enlarge)

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 17
Well, first off I think the buyer is being a ***** about the dents; I'd be bothered if those were on a new item, but those are barely noticeable, especially the one at the bottom left!

The problem with his claim that the unit won't turn on is that it's very difficult to prove or disprove without having him return it to you. I'd probably accept the return, refuse to pay shipping and try to sell the item to someone more reasonable on the assumption that it isn't actually broken at all. If it is, get it repaired and try to sell it to someone more reasonable.

Now, I don't actually know the price of the unit; if it's a large amount, I'd be more inclined to take some variety of legal action.

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #3 of 17
He will not be getting any money from me, that's for sure.  Unless UPS can determine the damage was cause from shipping, in which case UPS will be refunding the money for repair or replacement. Will see what happens.  No more selling to zero feedback, zero post buyers for me.  Not worth the hassle.

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 17
point out the suspicious points you have listed. and call his ***** out on them

Jan 29, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #6 of 17
As a seller, I think it's harder to get ripped-off than being a buyer. It's simple to say that you won't refund him the money until you see the amp with your own eyes. Not so much if you're the buyer and the seller doesn't send you something you paid for.

The scary thing could be the possibility of a swap, but lets hope he put those dents in there himself and was trying to pull of a lame scam. But for the most part, I think you have the upper hand.

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #8 of 17
I've been comparing the two pictures, it looks the same unit.
Both units have the same very minor surface imperfections.
I'm guessing rough handling by the shipping company.
Can he send you pictures of the box the unit was shipped in?
Could the shipping company have trashed the original shipping box
and then repackaged the unit into a new box?

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #9 of 17
The amp was shipped insured.  The serial and the dent are on different sides, so you couldn't really show both at the same time.  I'm asking him for a photo of the box it was ship in to see if it's in good condition. The type of dent looks like something really sharp hit it, so it should show in the box somehow. 

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #10 of 17
About a month ago a video (from a house drive way camera) was going around showing a Fedex guy delivering a 24"-27" computer monitor to a house.
The house had a 6 foot iron rod fence, instead of buzzing the house to have the home owner to come out and open the gate (the home owner was home).
The Fedex guy tossed the monitor over the 6 foot fence.

Jan 29, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #11 of 17
Here are the pictures of the box, it looks ok, though there seems to be slight compression on two corners indicating a possible drop.  I will be calling up UPS tomorrow.

Buyer wants the money, doesn't want to wait for UPS to inspect it. Reported me to Paypal.  Oh well, the hassle of online selling.

-click to enlarge-

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #12 of 17
Keep everything that proved that you shipped it and you should win your pp dispute.  Since he has taken pp theres not much you can do.  If he hadn't I would let insurance sort it out..

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
Here are the pictures of the box, it looks ok, though there seems to be slight compression on two corners indicating a possible drop.  I will be calling up UPS tomorrow.

Buyer wants the money, doesn't want to wait for UPS to inspect it. Reported me to Paypal.  Oh well, the hassle of online selling.

-click to enlarge-

The shipping company will send you the money, keep it, and let the buyer get his payment back from Paypal.

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #14 of 17
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate ordeal.  It's sadly becoming more and more common.  Like mrarroyo posted, the first real proof if a swap was done is to validate the serial number.   If it is different, call PayPal and verbally speak with someone to record this evidence, and you'll win the dispute case.

However, I don't know how you packaged it, or know what exactly 3-4 layers of foam looks like, but if it's the same foam as shown in your posted pictures, I can say that the amp may not have been adequately protected.  I've shipped amps in the past, but I overload it with large bubble wrap and other materials to ensure it will basically survives a field goal kick without any scratches or dents.  At least you got it insured, hopefully for the full amount. 

I hate to say it, but I've been very picky with inquiries from new accounts with zero feedback and often waited and passed them up for a member with real buyer credibility. 

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #15 of 17

Got an email from Paypal, buyer will get the refund of $450.  Seems that they automatically side with the buyer regardless of the evidence, they don't even contact the seller or consider the photos I sent them or even do a serial number comparison. Oh well, I really don't know if the buyer is out to scam me or UPS damaged it somehow. Paypal agent seems too passive and unhelpful.   I just hope I can claim insurance for it and the buyer is willing to work with me on processing insurance claim. Buying and Selling online, you are bound to run into disputes, that's life.  You just get smarter and move on to another day.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back