Susan Wong ( A cd must have for audiophile's collection)
Nov 8, 2004 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

Exileru

New Head-Fier
I like Susan Wong so much. Her music and voice are so relaxing. If you like Emi Fujita, then you should listen to Susan Wong. I hope everyone will like her cd.

Nov 8, 2004 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 55
I just listened to her debut album last night....from 1997, when she was known as Janelle Wong. The album was in Cantonese and it's shockingly good.

susanwong.jpg

But I totally agree with her English language albums. I just have the SACD of "I Wish You Love" and it was beyond my expectations.

1906.jpg

I have been looking for the SACD to her previous album English album, "Close To You", although I know that an XRCD version has just been released.

How's the new album? I have been meaning to pick it up.

Nov 9, 2004 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 55
Hold on, this wouldn't happen to be Karen Carpenter's "Close to you" would it?

Nov 9, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 55
Jahn, I do believe it's a cover version of The Carpenters' "Close To You" being the title track of Susan Wong's second album. I don't have the album but I am looking for the SACD. Maybe I should get the XRCD instead.

Susan Wong has a new album out called "These Foolish Things", which is only available on regular CD for now. Her record company, Rock In, will most likely release a SACD once sales of the regular CD slows down. The sales tactic has been used on Susan Wong's albums and on the other female vocalist on the label, Mimi Lo.

2096.jpg

As for Emi Fujita's SACDs, I have uploaded scans of the album covers onto sa-cd.net.

"Camomile Blend" - Emi Fujita

2249.jpg

Emi Fujita - Camomile Extra

2614.jpg

Nov 9, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 55
Her new album is also wonderful but i still like the Cd "Close to You" the most. BTW I wonder that the Faye wong-Di Dar album likes kind of Susan Wong.
Soundboy, you should listen Eva Cassidy and Jheena Lodwick. they are very good cd for audiophile.

Nov 9, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 55
The Faye Wong albums are nothing like Susan Wong does. Faye Wong music is pop-oriented, more so in her earlier days when she was known as Shirley Wong. Susan Wong's music is marketed at audiophiles. BTW, Susan Wong's "Close To You" was released in Japan by King Records with a different cover.

kicj471.jpg

I know of Eva Cassidy but I haven't had a chance to purchase anything from her yet. Jheena Lodwick? Good?

Nov 9, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #8 of 55
Nice thread, guys. I've just ordered the SACD version of Susan Wong's "I Wish You Love" and I sure hope it is good! The cheapest I could it for was 42.35 CAD with shipping.

Nov 9, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #9 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
The Faye Wong albums are nothing like Susan Wong does. Faye Wong music is pop-oriented, more so in her earlier days when she was known as Shirley Wong. Susan Wong's music is marketed at audiophiles. BTW, Susan Wong's "Close To You" was released in Japan by King Records with a different cover.

kicj471.jpg

I know of Eva Cassidy but I haven't had a chance to purchase anything from her yet. Jheena Lodwick? Good?

You are not making it easy for me to stick to my CD quota. I've already busted it once. Argh.

Nov 10, 2004 at 1:28 AM Post #10 of 55
Orginally from the Philippines, Jheena is the new vocal Audiophile talent. she has a sensual voice, which has already earned her a large audiophile following. Her cd is released in both HDCD and XRCD

Nov 11, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Nice thread, guys. I've just ordered the SACD version of Susan Wong's "I Wish You Love" and I sure hope it is good! The cheapest I could it for was 42.35 CAD with shipping.

Wmcmanus, once you receive your disc, tell us what you think.

Nov 11, 2004 at 7:44 PM Post #13 of 55
The Track listing of her two english albums have some promising tracks on them -

Description of "Close To You"

01. Killing Me Softly
02. I'm Easy
03. Fly Me To The Moon
04. Close To You
05. Love Will Keep Us Alive
06. Stay Awhile
07. Do You Wanna Dance
08. This Masquerade
09. Do That To Me One More Time
10. Desperado
11. I Just Fall In Love Again

Description of "Susan Wong 2 - I Wish You Love"

01. Rainy Days and Mondays
02. How Wonderful You Are
03. The Way We Were
04. My Cherie Amour
05. I Believe
06. Promises Don't Come Easy
07. On The Street Where You Live
08. I Wish You Love
09. As Tears Go By
10. Can't Take My Eyes Off You
11. You Needed Me
12. Moon River
13. Ain't No Sunshine

Nov 12, 2004 at 7:15 AM Post #14 of 55
Track listing of Susan Wong's latest album "These Foolish Things"

1. Superstar
2. Autumn Leaves
3. Cavatina (theme from Deer Hunter)
4. Too Young
5. I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song
6. We're All Alone
7. These Foolish Things
8. Feel Like Making Love
9. Call Me
10. Cry Me A River
11. Kiss Me Goodbye
12. Hopelessly Devoted To You
13. I Only Want To Be With You

04-0654-c1.jpg

Nov 12, 2004 at 5:57 PM Post #15 of 55
Susan Wong sounds interesting but $32.00 for a CD of someone I've never even heard is a bit over the top for me. The only disc I was able to find was "Close to You". Are there any links to samples of her music on the net? Where do you guys buy her music?

-Z

Users who are viewing this thread

Back