Survey: How Many of You Really Eat Instant Noodle to Afford Gears?
Jan 6, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by righteousball /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and also, most people who think they need to be tethered to the net and be contactable 24/7 probably don't? That's my case anyway.

It's not a primal need, but it is the social media of our time as the phone was before it. Imagine 30 years ago telling people you don't have a home phone. That would really kill your social life. Same thing with smart phones today (or in the very near future).
Beyond that, smart phones allow you to do most of what your laptop/desktop can do anywhere. It would take pages to begin to list all the ways this can be beneficial.
Bottom line is the internet is becoming increasingly integrated into our daily lives and it's necessary at some point to cut the (power, cat6, etc) cord ...not to mention lose the bulk of notebook.
[Really off topic I know. Sorry]

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #33 of 47
Instant noodles are expensive, they are like a dollar or more each for something that taste bad. DIY noodle is the way to go.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyond that, smart phones allow you to do most of what your laptop/desktop can do anywhere.

See, I have a smartphone right now, and I'm not finding that to be true. On my tolerance scale it's almost excruciating to try and use it as a computer replacement.

My use of a PC involves a lot of "light" tasks going on simultaneously. consuming some form of media, chat, and fast-paced info gathering, opening a new tab to search whenever I don't get something. My current smartphone can't really handle those 11 tabbed windows and the Travian ads. It can barely handle the kind of multitasking everyone so covet (and use as a distinguished element in bashing the iphone). Let's say having IRC, web browser, music player open, and frequently switching between all three. Might as well disable multitasking. Imagine my grief when an older version of opera mobile would insist it's out of memory and crash, when an all-text forum quote has too many nested layers.

The result of which is I can't do decent info gathering unless I painstakingly collect, copy and paste RSS feeds into the phone, and then 90% of feeds demand that you visit the actual page.

I do like the smartphone idea, it's just a big disappointment for me at the moment, and I do hope this year's hardware will go a long way to curing this. But one of my main points that you missed, is that very few of us really have a pressing need to know that Stephen Fry is stuck in an elevator right now, no matter how eloquent he is at wording it. Are we all interesting enough to be revealed to other people incessantly? Oh wow.
tongue.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #35 of 47
Kirosia offers to prostitute himself to mildly attractive single mothers to avoid living off ramen.... he eats mostly ramen.

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #36 of 47
From all the posts looks like Asr is the only one who actually ate something cheap just to afford gears (although not really instant noodles). You guys are not hardcore enough, very disappointing.

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by righteousball /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See, I have a smartphone right now, and I'm not finding that to be true. On my tolerance scale it's almost excruciating to try and use it as a computer replacement.

My use of a PC involves a lot of "light" tasks going on simultaneously. consuming some form of media, chat, and fast-paced info gathering, opening a new tab to search whenever I don't get something. My current smartphone can't really handle those 11 tabbed windows and the Travian ads. It can barely handle the kind of multitasking everyone so covet (and use as a distinguished element in bashing the iphone). Let's say having IRC, web browser, music player open, and frequently switching between all three. Might as well disable multitasking. Imagine my grief when an older version of opera mobile would insist it's out of memory and crash, when an all-text forum quote has too many nested layers.

The result of which is I can't do decent info gathering unless I painstakingly collect, copy and paste RSS feeds into the phone, and then 90% of feeds demand that you visit the actual page.

I do like the smartphone idea, it's just a big disappointment for me at the moment, and I do hope this year's hardware will go a long way to curing this. But one of my main points that you missed, is that very few of us really have a pressing need to know that Stephen Fry is stuck in an elevator right now, no matter how eloquent he is at wording it. Are we all interesting enough to be revealed to other people incessantly? Oh wow.
tongue.gif

It's not a desktop/notebook replacement for sure, and I agree that for what you're talking about current smartphones are not suitable. I'm talking more about email, fact/event checking, news/magazine reading, texting, scheduling (with synchronization to desktop/notebook), entertainment (music, games, etc), and so on.
I know I'm risking a religious debate (which I won't take part in) but a smartphone is only as good as its interface and apps. Nothing comes close to the iphone right now ...and no I'm not a mac fanboy at all. I'll drop my iphone in the trash recycling when something with a better interface and most importantly better apps comes along.

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #38 of 47
How much money can you save if you eat instant noodles instead of proper home cooked food? Say you replace all your meals with raman (3 packs a days) and nothing else, you still have to spend at least 3 bucks a day anyway. Let's imagine you manage to save $10 a day(I don't think so, home cooking is not that expensive), you get $70 each week. It means that you have to be on a straight raman diet for over a month to get a pair of Sennheifer HD650. That's worse than Super Size Me. Think about all the MSG and wax you are putting into your body...
You can always force that on your wife and kids too. That ways you might get your HD 800 in as little as 2-3 months.
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #40 of 47
i buy instant noodles not because im saving money.. BUT because those instant noodles
taste more better than the FREE food we have here at work.

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #41 of 47
I've found the perfect setup and no longer have a need to save money for audio equipment.

yay.

Ramen, unless seasoned correctly (usually not with the mystery salty brown stuff in the silver packet), tastes horrific.

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kirosia offers to prostitute himself to mildly attractive single mothers to avoid living off ramen.... he eats mostly ramen.

Kirosia has been aiming too high. Kirosia must lower standards; upgrade to happy meal.

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbuzzard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when im hungry i just step out on my porch with my crossbow and wait for a tasty critter to show up. half hour later im full.

I guess you cook on the spot.
tongue.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I had to sell all my gear in order to continue eating well, my gear would be gone.

Not much fun Vicky!
wink_face.gif
BTW, I will be dropping the EF5/HE5 combo w/ Carl in Fort Lauderdale next week. Maybe he can host an ultra mini meet for those in the are who may wish to listen to it. Sorry Carl for committing you to something you have no idea off.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From all the posts looks like Asr is the only one who actually ate something cheap just to afford gears (although not really instant noodles). You guys are not hardcore enough, very disappointing.

Most of us are married now so we can not do so anymore. When single and younger (1982) I wanted a Suzuki GS750 so I bought it and for a couple of month did not eat very well. BUT it was worth it!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back