Surveillance Camera needed: story included.
Aug 19, 2007 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Darkestred

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys.

I think awhile back someone posted help with surveillance camera's. I think i am going to invest into two.

About 2 months ago I came home to an officer at our house looking-over my mother's car. I approached the officer and asked him if there was anything wrong or that i could help him with. For all i knew she killed someone or did something wrong. He says, nothing wrong, your mother knows im here. Well, apparently some kid scratched up her car. Our next door neighbor's kid who is about 13 says he saw someone on our property and that he may know the kid.

Two or three weeks later my mom is complaining that the kid came by again. This time he wrote Fu-k You and a cross. The police think they know who the kid is and basically said he's a misfit.

I was over my brother's house a couple weeks later getting my oil changed, when he says, hey, when did you get these scratches on the side of your car? did someone key it? Sure enough 2 decent sized scratches.

I have an evolution and the paint job is one of the crappiest there is. Scratches easily, but these were new scratches, deeper than a tree fall or rock chipping paint. Iam not one to become mad, but i was disappointed.

On friday of this week, i went to get take-out on my lunch break. When i came back to work i went around to my passenger side and noticed 4 new scratches. One on the back quarter panel, one along the back, one by the handle and one on the passenger side, front door.

I took a walk today and noticed that my other neighbor had scratches on his car. I never checked the 13 year olds father's truck for scratches, but if he has none thats a pretty interesting plot twist.

Our family went to see the Bourne Ultimatum (good flick) and decided to get some pizza. While conversing in the parking lot my brother notices some new artwork on her car in the form of an 8" FU.

My question is, does anyone have any expertise with camera's that have infrared or night vision and are quality devices, but wont put a hole in my pocket. Im thinking about getting one where i can monitor outside by my computer.

thanks for any help and suggestions.

Aug 19, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 13
I have no experience in surveillance, but very interesting story. Will be interesting to see how it turns out or if you catch anyone
biggrin.gif

Good luck!

Aug 19, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 13
Coffee, a lawn chair, flashlight and shotgun might work. Just sit there drinking, if ya hear something move, shine the flashlight+shotgun combo. That'll catch the bugger

Aug 19, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 13
Sorry to hear that.
Looks like you're living in bad part of county.
Some counties limit usage of surveilance camera at home. Check the law in your county before you buy surveilance system. Even if you caught the kid in your camera, putting him into jail or making him pay for what he did could be quite different story.
Passive, but best solution would be moving home to a better place.

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by dilhole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll help you out if you provide valid certification that you're not mentally insane. I personally will not be indirectly responsible for the death of a 13 year old kid.

I mean, I don't know you. You can be nuts for all I know. And yes, I'm actually 85% serious.

What are you talking about? I never said anything about a weapon. I assume that was to me.

I actually live in a very nice area. The most that ever happens here is someone steals some money from a store. The officer even said, i cant believe this is happening in this town. Nothing ever happens here. It's just one bad apple, spoiling the rest of the fruit.

It's rather unfortunate that i cannot keep my car outside without it being vandalized. It's also unfortunate that i cant get it repainted since this little prick will be back to mess up the paint job.

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkestred /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are you talking about? I never said anything about a weapon. I assume that was to me.

I actually live in a very nice area. The most that ever happens here is someone steals some money from a store. The officer even said, i cant believe this is happening in this town. Nothing ever happens here. It's just one bad apple, spoiling the rest of the fruit.

It's rather unfortunate that i cannot keep my car outside without it being vandalized. It's also unfortunate that i cant get it repainted since this little prick will be back to mess up the paint job.

Well, make sure you go to the bathroom, grab some snacks, and put on a ghille suit and camp out all night until you see him and then make a citizen's arrest and call the cops. That'll scare him straight.

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #11 of 13
An IP Ready Infrared equipped camera is going to be a bit expensive. If you are alright with monitoring the cameras on a small CRT and not the computer you can get something analog, fairly cheap and passable at http://www.supercircuits.com/ I would only recommend this if you require low light recording as the images will not be the best.

Honestly, if you want to go with an IP solution you will need to use a motion detector light and a good IP camera that you can monitor on your computer. As this in an exterior camera in New Jersey you will need an environmentally sealed unit and if you have the money a heated unit. Your typical network camera will not hold up long outside.

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An IP Ready Infrared equipped camera is going to be a bit expensive. If you are alright with monitoring the cameras on a small CRT and not the computer you can get something analog, fairly cheap and passable at http://www.supercircuits.com/ I would only recommend this if you require low light recording as the images will not be the best.

Honestly, if you want to go with an IP solution you will need to use a motion detector light and a good IP camera that you can monitor on your computer. As this in an exterior camera in New Jersey you will need an environmentally sealed unit and if you have the money a heated unit. Your typical network camera will not hold up long outside.

Yea, i figured it would be expensive. I may just rest two cameras on my window sill..my window can see our driveway where the first incident happened...and about 30 feet to the right where my car is...there are hedges in the way so its hard to see my window but i can see anything over 2.5 feet from my window, clearly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back