Surround Sound Headphones?
Jun 9, 2006 at 8:13 AM Post #151 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Or A900s being driven by a SU-DH1.
icon10.gif

Are you being sarcastic because that's a terrible amp or am I missing something?
frown.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 8:17 AM Post #152 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by dqniel
Are you being sarcastic because that's a terrible amp or am I missing something?
frown.gif

I don't know how good its amp is, but it'll sure give you better surround than a Medusa could ever hope of giving. The A900s aren't that dependant on good amping anyway, being 32 ohm.

Jun 9, 2006 at 9:09 AM Post #153 of 160
Oh, I see. Well, I think plain old 2 channel sound (with no fancy CMSS 3D or other "virtualized" 3D effects) works best for positioning. I've never tried that JVC amp though so perhaps that will create a proper surround sound effect in game without the distracting, echoing effects that Creative's EAX gives.

Jun 9, 2006 at 9:37 AM Post #154 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by dqniel
Oh, I see. Well, I think plain old 2 channel sound (with no fancy CMSS 3D or other "virtualized" #D effects) works best for positioning. I've never tried that JVC amp though so perhaps that will create a proper surround sound effect in game without the distracting, echoing effects that Creative's EAX gives.

"Distracting, echoing effects" are a symptom of bad surround virtualization, not virtualization itself.

Jun 9, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #155 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Wolf
The Medusa 5.1 Surround Headset was banned from the Cyberathlete Professional League, because it gave gamers who were equipped with the headset an unfair advantage over the others who weren’t so lucky!

Good thing they don't know about the A900 or DT770 paired with an X-fi
very_evil_smiley.gif
If the medusa was such an advantage, then the A900 or DT770 would be considered downright cheating
icon10.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 1:47 PM Post #156 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
Good thing they don't know about the A900 or DT770 paired with an X-fi
very_evil_smiley.gif
If the medusa was such an advantage, then the A900 or DT770 would be considered downright cheating
icon10.gif

What would that make the HE60, I wonder...

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #157 of 160
I can vouch for the JVC unit as a great surround sound virtualizer. It uses the same Dolby Headphone processing that the wireless Pioneer headphones use, but won't break the bank. (Of course you have to supply your own headphones, but that was part of the appeal to me...having wired headphones that I could use for more than just gaming.)

I use mine for Xbox gaming as well... see http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...52#post2159352 for my impressions. I have since tried it out with Sennheiser HD595 and AKG k701 headphones, with even better results than the Sony headphones I inititially used.

Jun 15, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #159 of 160
I ended up going with the k701s for a couple of reasons.

Soundstage / imaging - Soundwise I preferred them over the HD 595s. The imaging/soundstage on the k701s is very wide, which I like as it helps me pinpoint where that gunfire is coming from. Although not as warm sounding as the Senns, the bass is definitely present, and I expect the bass will continue to present itself as these break-in. I also like the openness of the mids and highs on the k701s. For me, this is important in gaming, probably more so than bass response as the higher frequencies tend to trigger me for directional cues better than the lows. I would be happy with the sound of the Senns as well, but between the two, I like the k701s. (Of course, they cost $100 more too.)

Comfort - the other reason I like the k701s is they were more comfortable to me, particularly upon using them for extended periods (3-4+ hours straight). Wearing the HD595s for a long time caused me some minor discomfort on my ears, in the form of soreness on the outside of my ears. I think this is probably something that's particular to me, though my wife had a similar reaction. The k701s have a larger, rounder earcup that must just fit around my head/ears better. (I imagine the k601s would feel similarly comfortable, but I don't know for sure.) I don't want to leave the impression that the HD595s are uncomfortable, and to be honest they might have gotten more comfortable if I had kept them longer and tried to break them in more. I read many posts about people saying the Senns are plenty comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back