Surprised by iPod classic SQ!
Jan 8, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by silence57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Want an easy comparison --- the iPhone and the iTouch still use the Wolfson and the Classic uses the Cirrus. The iPhone definitely sounds better than the Classic, even through Bose phones. (I wondered why and found out it was because of the chip.) Admittedly it can probably also play at higher volume than the Classic (it has a good battery) but my un-modded IPOD Video sounds better than my IPOD Classic. Modestly better. Just as my IPOD Vidoe sounds modestly better.

It's ironic. The iTouch has somewhat better sound quality than the IPOD. The iTouch doesn't have the gigs to use its large screen but it has better sound than the Classic which is built for music, not movies.

The Cirrus chip is cheaper than the Wolfson chip and Wolfson is, I believe headquartered in Scotland, not the U.S (I could be wrong.) 98% of the IPOD buyers won't notice the change but some of us do. To me, the chip makes more of a difference than the bit rate. That's a shame.

At least the Classic has a better battery than the Video. Still, to me, the Video is the best IPOD ever made (I don't need 160gigs, especially with the Cirrus chip).

What to buy? The next iTouch (released in 9 months?) which will probably be 32 gigs flash (TV shows), be cheaper, have a better screen, a better battery (higher volume), and maybe even have a side volume control like the iPhone (painless volume modulation). Only the switch to a Cirrus chip could somewhat cheapen such a fine product. (Maybe the 2nd gen. Cirrus chip will be better?) It would still be worth getting --- esp. at $349. You heard it here first! *smile*

I think Classic sounds better than Touch
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recieved the line-out dock a week ago. I must say that I am very impressed with the improvement. Trying the amp the headphone output was a horrid experience. I got the bling bling dock by ALO.

Is this with the Classic?

Jan 9, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #33 of 43
That's how it sounds to me but I'll defer to you guys --- I like good music but I'm probably less of an audiophile.

What sounds good to me is using a good headphone, headphone amp and line-out --- on whichever IPOD. Apple Lossless --- why not, there is enough space for music --- I don't use video often.

Good luck.

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Want an easy comparison --- the iPhone and the iTouch still use the Wolfson and the Classic uses the Cirrus.

Can you give me a link that says that? I know early on, there were rumors that the DAC was different, but I suspect the DAC is just a rebranded Wolfson.

See ya
Steve

Jan 10, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you give me a link that says that? I know early on, there were rumors that the DAC was different, but I suspect the DAC is just a rebranded Wolfson.

See ya
Steve

hi, well try this for possible wolfson/cirrus differences...

Measurements

Jan 10, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

See ya
Steve

Hi:

I think this specifically states there is a Wolfson in the Touch and a Cirrus in the Classic. Rebranded? Who knows --- but wouldn't that be against patent laws?

iFixit — iPod Touch

Jan 10, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #38 of 43
Only apple and the chip maker cirrus-wolfson know for sure. I think it's funny that everyone says "lower quality" cirrus chipset, when thats whats in the new sony 6xx 8xx series thats getting rave reviews for SQ. Thats if it's a cirrus anyways, a new "capless" wolfson (it's in the parts cost list) was used in the nano 3g, I suspect the classic uses the same.

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by chef8489 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is the thread Vinnie started about the classic. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f70/ip...ie-rwa-256793/

Translation= "I can't make as much money off the 6g as I did off the others"?

I've got the 6G, and I think it sounds quite spectacular. I don't have much in the way of reference, so I'm judging it on its own terms, which are that it holds so damned much music and sounds so damned good.

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

hi, well try this for possible wolfson/cirrus differences...

Nope. I already went all over that stuff when it was first posted. He's got some of his measurements out of whack.

I haven't found any indication that the Classic doesn't have a Wolfson DAC, other than the fact that it doesn't say Wolfson on it any more.

See ya
Steve

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Nope. I already went all over that stuff when it was first posted. He's got some of his measurements out of whack.

I haven't found any indication that the Classic doesn't have a Wolfson DAC, other than the fact that it doesn't say Wolfson on it any more.

See ya
Steve

I'm just kind of annoyed that guy is waging a one-man war, which is getting picked up all over the web. Of course, I did take his advice and buy a 5.5 gen ipod, which I auditioned with my own ears and found superior to the classic. But that's not to say the classic doesn't sound good. It sounds very good, it buried my second gen ipod when comparing it. Much better, cleaner bass and over all musicality. But I did see enough information around the web to believe that it's a cirrus dac and not a wolfson. And here's a guy whose comparison I believe (look to the bottom of the page). Anybody who uses Quads as their test speakers has my vote for GREAT audio taste.

http://www.audiodesignguide.com/DAC_final/DacFinal.html

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #42 of 43
The line outs in all generations of iPods sound pretty much the same. I have 3gs through Classic and there's differences in headphone output, but not the line out.

See ya
Steve

P.S. I think it's funny when people describe sound with words like "banal". What the heck does banal sound like?!

Jan 12, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #43 of 43
Why the Classic or 5th Gen or 5.5? It seems we're thinking too much about it --- including me. It's fun in a way to compare and contrast but IPODs sound similar to one another and a good song (one you like) almost always sounds better than one you don't. Does the 5.5 sound as good as the Classic? Who knows --- individual taste dictates as it should.

All IPODs (at least the ones I know, I'm not sure about the early ones) sound really good, especially when pampered with line-out, etc... and when one loves the songs that they're listening to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back