Surprised by DT770/80 Pro's Lack of Bass
Mar 5, 2008 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

autosound

100+ Head-Fier
Well I tried these headphones in the store today. They were taken out of the box so I could try them with my Minibox-E+ and I have to say, I think my MS1's would have been able to keep up with them. I really expected them to give me more thump or deeper bass than that which can be achieved by my MS1s. It was however, an open box item so I assume it was a return. Could the drivers have been faulty? I still would like to buy a pair someday and would hope they will sound better.

Anybody have any ideas why I had this experience? Could the drivers be broken or are the phones just too new? or am I just expecting too much from these phones. I have read that sometimes the bass can become unbearable because it gets so loud, but what I experienced was far from that.
Thanks for any input.

Mar 5, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am pretty sure that the DT770/80 needs to be broken in somewhat. The set that I heard from a box sounded muddy, but a broken in pair I heard sounded much better.

true..but definitely far from lacking in the bass department.

Mar 5, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #4 of 25
wow, if it was open box I bet someone jacked the drivers and threw in something else.

Mar 5, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by aZn_plyR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, if it was open box I bet someone jacked the drivers and threw in something else.

No, it was a new box from Guitar Center. It was muddy and nothing like what I expected. Another pair I heard at a meet sounded better, but still not up to my expectations. I just don't like the DT770/80 in general. It's comfortable but I don't like how it sounds.

Mar 5, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #7 of 25
I was impressed with the amount of bass, but it was fake sounding and feeling to me. So I got 880's instead, heh.

I didn't like the way they sounded either. Too contrained and too focussed on the low-end.

Mar 5, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #8 of 25
wow, the base on the dt770 is one of my favourites. it is still headphone bass so it is not massive but for closed headphones, it has quality bass and good amount of it.

i think newer iems and canals get much more bass quantity but of course it is nothing of the same quality. my atrio m5 are wonderful for bass, actually one of the best i have heard for texture and quantity but the new victor hp-fx500 seem to get inordinate amounts of bass that is not boomy like some other canals i have heard.

Mar 5, 2008 at 10:04 AM Post #9 of 25
To OP- I wonder if you are putting eyeglasses on? I had similar experience a while ago, lack of bass was due to incomplete seal by thick temple rods of my eyeglasses.

Mar 5, 2008 at 11:01 AM Post #10 of 25
I could understand that they didn't have enough bass for you, but they definitely go deep enough for anyone.

Mar 5, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #11 of 25
haha, glasses! i have glasses too and i always get fidgety about the seal of my beyers. however, they still sound big and deep with my glasses, but then again, i have danish glasses, so the danes are probably thinking of how to preserve base whilst listening to trance on headphones anyway!

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #12 of 25
I wouldn't say that they have clean bass (without an amp) i haven't tried it with an amp. They are more muddy. but they are very bass heavy to me

Mar 5, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #13 of 25
different people have different perceptions and internal gauges of bass levels. people who are used to subwoofers and cheaper quality headphones with boomy insanely boosted bass will find the dt770's lacking. people who think the dt880s have too much bass (yes there are some of those) will describe the dt770s as bass cannons.

also, i've found that it's easier to get more bass impact and quantity in general with supra-aural headphones than circumaural ones just because of the driver being so close to your ears.

finally, i think you need some time with the dt770s, try them at home with a good setup with a variety of songs for a week and i'm pretty sure your opinion will change.

Mar 5, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #14 of 25
Thanks for the input guys. Maybe my expectations were too high for these phones. I do still plan on giving them a shot if I can trade off some of my phones or just save up enough money. I just expected the bass to blow my MS1s away. The bass is just a little heavier than on my AKG k271s which have....almost no bass at all. It was just such a disappointment. I wish I could try a burned in pair to see if it is the sound I am looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back