Surprise TDK MT-300: $4.97 of AWESOME...
Jan 26, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #271 of 371
Quote:
Really trying to give the bass time to break in before I give any significant thoughts on these little TDKs that could.

Burn-in takes longer when it is cold!  The sub-atomic activity in the drivers slows down thus causing less movement which extends the time it takes to "bed" them into the housings....
i just made all that up...

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #272 of 371
maybe you could look at it as free cryo treatment.

I tried a set of looser fitting tips and for me it just seems wrong. I know the bass may be a bit too deep for others and that's why they use  non hermetically sealing tips, but the lows are so good I can't bear wearing a looser tip. I keep thinking it's going to fall out the way it feels with smaller tips, and also how am I going to ensure a perfect 99.99999 %  balance between the channels unless they seal er up.

Do we know anyone with access to some liquid nitrogen , just thinking out loud.
etysmile.gif
And sort of not joking.

These have actually been on my head nonstop tonight for over 4 hours I just noticed the time!

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #273 of 371
I was messing around with my iPhone 4's preset EQ settings and I found that "Treble Boost" opens these 'phones up nicely for me. I find the iPhone 4 veils the sound a bit, makes it a bit dark and warm. Congested, maybe? With Treble Boost, the veil is gone and it sounds a bit colder. Pulls the vocals back just a bit and tames the bass as well. These have enough bass for me with this EQ since the MT300 has it in spades. No quality lost, just a little quantity. Soundstage widens as a result. Balanced? Haven't quite got the jargon down yet. I can't even listen to my phone now without the EQ.

I recently realized the phone was a warm/dark source when I tried my A161p on it. I couldn't get past the veil around the bass and mids.

Jan 27, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #274 of 371
^ don't know why i didn't think of that also, haven't been thinking straight lately, and your EQ option was right in front of my face to try the whole time. Off to see what the C3 has and how it affects these.
Thanks

Jan 29, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #276 of 371
Well, back home now, so I thought it about time I really gave the MT300 a solid listen vs Sony MH1C.  <gasp!>

Can the MT300 take down the latest hyped up IEM?  Sadly, atomikn00b said it first: no.  At least, not on sound quality.

It does not take very long to hear the MH1C really come out in the treble.  Clarity is just excellent and outstandingly smooth.  Like almost HF5/XBA3 good.  So in that regard the MT300 just gets left in the "better than average" group.  It can't tango with the big boys here.  Sorry, kid.

Mids are a little tougher, because the MT300 is quite good in the mids, and it seems like the designers spent some time here getting things right.  But still, the MH1C has an edge in mids/vocals, with just that extra little bit of ring.

However, I still prefer the bass of the MT300.  The MH1C has a mid-bass hump which I feel is over-emphasized.  While the sub-bass on both seem to be at the same level, the MH1C boosts the mid-bass while the MT300 keeps it flat, and tight, and therefore enjoyable.

Unfortunately everything else about the MH1C is terrible.  The cable.. my gosh... who thought this was a good idea?  It just curls and curls and curls almost comically.  Then if you so much as MOVE, you hear it all through that cable.  If I had a friend who didn't know what "microphonics" was, i'd send them across the room with the MH1Cs, then with the MT300s.  Night and day.  I could probably go on about how completely impractical the MH1Cs are but I'll stop there and say even though they sound great, mine have not seen much use.  As a headset they are a failure - how can I walk down the street and carry on a phone call when all I hear is the cable rubbing against my clothes?!? grrr!!!!  Damn you hype threads!

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #277 of 371
Ha!
Just to add to inline's thoughts.
I left off saying something along the lines of : "Now I'm off to try to deal with the mh1c cable while moving."

End result. The mh1c stays by my bed.

I also said the mt300 mids sound recessed in comparison to mh1c. I revert that to my original assessment. It is flat. I only thought it was recessed because I didn't volume match (the mh1c is harder to drive). But. the mh1c does have an edge as inline said.

Unlike inline though, I wouldn't call the midbass on the mh1c a hump. I also believe the subbass on the mt300 to be of greater quantity than the mh1c.

Oh and. In a few days, I'll compare them to the Monoprice MP9927

Jan 29, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #278 of 371
I forgot how good the monoprice was.
It's seriously good. Haven't taken it off my ears since I got them.
Did a quick switch to the mt300 and there is a definite difference. I can't say them yet because I put the monoprice back in.
But the instantly noticeable difference is that the monoprice sounds whole while the mt300 sounds disjointed. Like there's a hole between the bass and the treble.
And the subbass emphasis becomes very evident because the monoprice is closer to neutral.

But that's just a quick impression. I'll compare them this weekend when I have time.
And if the MP9927 beats the mt300 to my ears, I'll compare them to the mh1c.

Jan 29, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #279 of 371
Quote:
I forgot how good the monoprice was.
It's seriously good. Haven't taken it off my ears since I got them.
Did a quick switch to the mt300 and there is a definite difference. I can't say them yet because I put the monoprice back in.
But the instantly noticeable difference is that the monoprice sounds whole while the mt300 sounds disjointed. Like there's a hole between the bass and the treble.
And the subbass emphasis becomes very evident because the monoprice is closer to neutral.

But that's just a quick impression. I'll compare them this weekend when I have time.
And if the MP9927 beats the mt300 to my ears, I'll compare them to the mh1c.

I've been enjoying my 8320's also, and I really enjoy them when hooked up to my E11 with EQ2 set to provide more low end. They are pretty remarkable for $8!

Jan 29, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #281 of 371
Quote:
Remarkably uncomfortable...
wink.gif

Ha. yes. that's why I didn't touch the 8320 after my first day of use.
The 9927, on the other hand, is more comfortable because of the rubber finish and it comes with 2 extra tips and a box. Plus it's black!
All for only a few cents more than the original 8320 cost. But please. let's focus on the mt300 here :p

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #282 of 371
Stock Tips:
Great full spectrum sound except for highs. Dissapointed about the highs sounding veiled especially for an iem that sounds so great in the rest of the spectrum.

Modded pair of stock tips (size I wasnt using) by puncturing needle sized hole in each:
Sounds like a partial insertion, balancing highs and lows a bit more, slightly less isolation, however weakening the volume output just a tad, theres definitely something I can't put my finger on being sacrificed (will be fantastic for jogging I can tell you that)

Sony Hybrid tips (red):
What the heck, I can hear the high end a bit more in the front now. Cool! ( Edit: Droooool... )

Lesson: Try other tips to suit your expectations/needs.

I'll update my findings after I've received my MH1c's or these things start to sound a bit different with natural burn in.

Jan 31, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #283 of 371
Hadn't bought an iem for a least a couple weeks so I picked a set of these, unfortunately they were $25 from amazon but I'd it anyway. Had a little listening session with the mh1c, mt300 of course, and my $40 iem favorite GR02 be (shocking I know) and the 3580. Each one does some stuff very well. Did all comparisons running through my C&C BH.

3580 - low end is a bit hollow, sibilance up top and not enough in the mids, thin sounding - worst of the bunch but for $8 not bad.
MH1C - nice bass and mids with a nice smooth top end. Low end is faster than the mt300. Widest sound stage. Even thought the top end is smooth, I still feel it lacks detail and that crispness that I like.
MT300 - most bass and sub bass but a bit flabby for me with some bleed as well. Mids and top end are just too veiled for me, vocals seemed recessed as well. Tracks on silversun pickups it just can't keep up. Listen to foo fighters the pretenders it just does not do any of the instruments or vocals correctly.
GR02 BE - nothing changed, still my go to, love the signature.

If these were $10 bucks like they are supposed to be, definitely my budget recommendation but now at $25 for me, I can't do it. I will throw these in from time to time if I really want some low end fun (much better than the FX101 which are at the bottom of a lake somewhere).

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #285 of 371
Quote:
Who in the US wants an mt300?
free of charge.

Come on, they're not that bad, but then again, they won't it into my rotation much either.
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back