Surprise! HF-1 (Head-Fi 1)!!!
Feb 9, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #1,096 of 1,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Totally unenforceable. What would Todd/Grado say? "I saw you trying to sell the HF-1, give it back"? Such a condition wouldn't have prevented "human nature" regardless - no one here is really the Headphone Police, so it comes down to pleading to the higher qualities of our nature - assuming of course that you agree that not selling them that way is indeed the moral high ground - that's up to you and everyone else to decide that for themselves.

Of course it wouldn't have been enforcable. Like the "do not copy" clause in software end-user agreements, it merely needed to be STATED so buyers were aware of the seller's position. All I'm saying is that the indignation and self-righteous chest beating directed at the VERY small number of people selling HF-1's on eBay rings a bit hollow when no "rules" were ever defined.

Like I said, everyone involved should get over it and move on. Personally I don't see what the big deal is or why some noses are so out of joint. No amount of pissing and moaning or wishful hindsight is going to change what's happened. We're all adults here - let's just quit dwelling on the bad and be thankful for the good shall we? That's all I'm saying on the matter. I'm done.

Feb 10, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #1,097 of 1,119
I'm really sad that the HF-2's are unlikely and I do hope that something similar is available again. I just think something like this is really cool and a good way to raise money for a community I'm just beginning to learn about and already respect.

Feb 10, 2006 at 9:32 AM Post #1,098 of 1,119
This really sucks for newbies like myself that a select few has decided to turn a profit on someone else's generosity. Now i'll probably never be involved with any kind of special edition grados unless i buy a used pair of hf1 for a ridiculous amount.

If there ever will be another run of special editions, omedon idea to stop people by shutting down registration for a week or so would work pretty well. For the others that already have an account and has abused the hf1 can be blocked from the buy.

just my 2cents.

Feb 10, 2006 at 10:20 AM Post #1,099 of 1,119
Am I the only person who sees a major difference between "not acting honorably" and acting dishonorably?

Despite it being the honorable thing to keep the HF-1s in this community (and off ebay), I don't see that those who sold them on eBay actually did anything wrong. Being nice (in return for Grado's niceness) is a *choice* that should be rewarded, but that doesn't mean that those who weren't nice should be berated.

Am I making sense here? It's a subtle distinction.

Here's another example: One guy likes opening doors and pulling out chairs for his girlfriend, while another guy doesn't do that. Does this mean the guy who doesn't is actually being rude? Hardly. The guy who does is doing a good thing, while the guy who doesn't is simply not doing a good thing. He isn't doing a bad thing. Same with the people who sell HF-1's outside Head-Fi, IMO.

Feb 10, 2006 at 10:55 AM Post #1,100 of 1,119
So how do u think people should be rewarded and what happens with people that didn't even get a chance to participate. Or should we all suffer the consequences of the ones that didn't choose to be nice.

what happens when one girlfriend sees the other gilr getting the special treatment from her boyfriend?

Feb 10, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #1,101 of 1,119
For all those that missed out on the HF-1's, here's to thinking outside the box:

Go get yourself a pair of SR225's from TTVJ.

You're essentially getting the HF-1's minus all the glitter and bragging rights. Todd gets his extra profit, as does Grado labs. Believe it or not, you're also supporting Head-fi by endorsing one of its sponsors. Heck, if you ever decide you don't want to hold onto them (whatever the reason may be), you are free to sell them on eBay for whatever price you like.

Not sure about you, but to me it looks like problem solved
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #1,102 of 1,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeppelin2
For all those that missed out on the HF-1's, here's to thinking outside the box:

You're essentially getting the HF-1's minus all the glitter and bragging rights. Todd gets his extra profit, as does Grado labs. Believe it or not, you're also supporting Head-fi by endorsing one of its sponsors. Heck, if you ever decide you don't want to hold onto them (whatever the reason may be), you are free to sell them on eBay for whatever price you like.

wink.gif

then send them to Larry at Headphile and get him to Woody them
orphsmile.gif

Feb 11, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #1,103 of 1,119
Or

Get an SR-80 it is "essentially" a 225. Save yourself some money.

Actually

the more I think about it. I don't think John or Todd are upset about people selling the HF-1's for a profit. If they were they could just put them back into production and the profit motive would go to zero. It is truly the fact that people were selling them outside the community.

They were always meant to be limited so some people would have to miss out. Some of us were lucky and decisive and able to get a pair and others were not. C'est la vie.

I think the plan, which was never really defined, was to keep producing them until the orders started to trickle in. But because they became overrun with orders they had to freeze production (Both John and Todd have regular business to handle) it is too bad that production didn't get restarted and more folks didn't get a chance to buy them perhaps they would have went to 800 or 1000 but they were always going to be limited and people were always going to miss out.

Feb 11, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #1,104 of 1,119
Mmm..the HF-1 is such a perfect compliment to my HD600 and MS-2i. Amazing how unique it is, while still maintaining a Grado signature sound.

Just wanted to say thanks again, to Grado & Todd. You guys rock
rs1smile.gif

Feb 11, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #1,105 of 1,119
Quote:

You're essentially getting the HF-1's minus all the glitter and bragging rights.

wink.gif

Not to burst your bubble zeppelin but as someone who owned both the 225s and the HF-1s at the same time this is simply not true. While the 225s are, in my opinion, great value for the dollar they simply are not the HF-1s. To my ears there is and was no mistaking the fact that either the drivers or the driver enclosure (wood vs. plastic) makes a big difference in the sound of the HF-1s. And as much as Larry's treatment might help bring the 225s closer to the HF-1 performance level as far as I know he leaves the stock driver enclosure (plastic) intact.

It is unfortunate that not everyone who wants a HF-1 will own one, I know you'll be hard pressed to ever separate me from mine. Of course I've made mine "worthless" by modifying them from stock but meh, they're my headphones so what do I care
rs1smile.gif

Thanks again to Todd and Grado for the unique opportunity.

Nate

Feb 11, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #1,106 of 1,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
To my ears there is and was no mistaking the fact that either the drivers or the driver enclosure (wood vs. plastic) makes a big difference in the sound of the HF-1s.

Without a doubt! I just happen to be one of the few (maybe only?) that prefers his SR225's to his HF-1's.

Quote:

It is unfortunate that not everyone who wants a HF-1 will own one

Don't get me wrong.. I wish that everyone that wanted one got one! HOWEVER, seeing that getting your hands on a set of HF-1's is getting harder by the day, I just wanted to point out what I feel is the next best thing. Either that, or fork out a bit more and get yourself an RS1!

Feb 11, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #1,107 of 1,119
Quote:

It is unfortunate that not everyone who wants a HF-1 will own one...

I think that if you really want one you can get one. It's just that you'll have to spend so much that it may no longer be worth it. I think the original price for the HF-1 fairly reflected its value, although perhaps not the limited supply. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $200 for this headphone (not that there's anything wrong with it, and I am by no means an expert at valuing headphones - that's just my personal valuation) but if you want to pry one out of someone's hands a 50% premium would probably do it for someone that either didn't like the sound or finds them to be expensive dust collectors due to their vast headphone stash.

Feb 12, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #1,108 of 1,119
Quote:

wink.gif

The HF-1 clearly sounds different, and better mind you, and it has a new driver which is a different driver than the 225's. If you can't hear the difference then it's time to upgrade your mint amp and your ipod.

Feb 12, 2006 at 7:36 AM Post #1,109 of 1,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
The HF-1 clearly sounds different, and better mind you, and it has a new driver which is a different driver than the 225's. If you can't hear the difference then it's time to upgrade your mint amp and your ipod.

I wouldn't say that the issue lies with me upgrading my gear. Instead, the point I was trying to make is that there are other headphones apart from the HF-1.

Either you can sit there and think about how much you wish you had an HF-1, or you can be proactive and try out some of the other alternatives.

Still not good enough? Send four and a quarter bills my way and number two-ninety-five are as good as yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back