Surge protector insurance, what a load of..
Jun 25, 2006 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

JaGWiRE

Headphoneus Supremus
Bullcrap. Has anyone read through one of these things? They are freaking hilarious, they may as well write 500,000,000 dollar insurance, cause they sure as hell aern't going to replace or repair any of your equipment. The one I was just reading states you need receipts of the damaged equipment. What the hell? What about people who buy used stuff, or have vintage equipment 20+ years old which they obviously don't have a receipt for? As well, it only is valid for the original owner.. haha.

Jun 26, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
APC has replaced a $400 CRT about 4 years ago for me. A lightning storm killed the power strip and my monitor. Sent in the strip, 4 weeks later they told me to buy the new monitor and send them the receipt.

Heh, not bad, but when the digits get bigger, I'm sure it becomes a problem, and they would begin trying to get quotas on fixing stuff, monitors generally don't get fixed I think, but if you send in a reciever or something who knows what they will do.

Jun 26, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Bullcrap. Has anyone read through one of these things? They are freaking hilarious, they may as well write 500,000,000 dollar insurance, cause they sure as hell aern't going to replace or repair any of your equipment. The one I was just reading states you need receipts of the damaged equipment. What the hell? What about people who buy used stuff, or have vintage equipment 20+ years old which they obviously don't have a receipt for? As well, it only is valid for the original owner.. haha.

So, your point is? You need proof of the value of items in your house if it gets broken into or flooded or caried away by a hurricane to file an insurance claim, if not they just give you the absolute basics.

Jun 26, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
So, your point is? You need proof of the value of items in your house if it gets broken into or flooded or caried away by a hurricane to file an insurance claim, if not they just give you the absolute basics.

I've been robbed, and you don't need receipts or anything for a lot of stuff from what I remember. They were rather good about it if I remember, but this was several years ago and I was very young. It's very rare to have receipts for jewelery from 20 years ago and stuff, but a lot of stuff was smashed up and not taken, and other stuff was later found broken in the park near us, so we did have proof of items.

Jun 26, 2006 at 1:12 PM Post #8 of 12
One of our computers just got fried during a power blip, and was hooked up to a belkin surge protector
mad.gif

Jun 27, 2006 at 8:49 AM Post #9 of 12
Buy your items with a check or credit card. If the goods are ever damaged, you'll be able to get copies of the checks/charges without having to organize and file the receipts. That's usually good enough.

And you're not too familiar with insurance carriers, are you? Generally, you have to sue them to get a claim paid. And if they hassle you in the least, sue them. Small claims is perfect and many states (in the US) allow for punitive damages when a claim isn't paid in good faith.

You usually have to strongarm insurance carriers. They either deny legitimate claims or drive up the costs for everyone else with unnecessary litigation. One place I worked at, we had to fight a medical insurer of a doctor who had amputated the *wrong* leg. They wanted "proof" of malpractice. Very funny. Oh, they paid though. Eventually.

Jun 27, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
Buy your items with a check or credit card. If the goods are ever damaged, you'll be able to get copies of the checks/charges without having to organize and file the receipts. That's usually good enough.

And you're not too familiar with insurance carriers, are you? Generally, you have to sue them to get a claim paid. And if they hassle you in the least, sue them. Small claims is perfect and many states (in the US) allow for punitive damages when a claim isn't paid in good faith.

You usually have to strongarm insurance carriers. They either deny legitimate claims or drive up the costs for everyone else with unnecessary litigation. One place I worked at, we had to fight a medical insurer of a doctor who had amputated the *wrong* leg. They wanted "proof" of malpractice. Very funny. Oh, they paid though. Eventually.

Er? Yeah, you don't need receipts, credit card records I think is good enough I guess, not sure. We never had any insurance problems, after we were robbed the claims went smoothly, same for when my uncles basement was flooded and everything was destroyed. Maybe it's an American thing? I'm in Canada.

Edit :: My mom said they just took our word for it, although legally you generally need proof of purchase.

Jun 27, 2006 at 1:24 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE

Edit :: My mom said they just took our word for it, although legally you generally need proof of purchase.

thats home owners insurance your talking and they usually are very nice when it comes to this (pends on you insurance company).

I believe home owners insurance will also cover anything that gets hit by a electrical spike also...again pends on you company.

My friend had every tv in his house paid for by his company after he got a bad hit one storm...not sure the company he has and what else was on the claim but I know it was a good amount of damage.

cause of this most audiophile's don't really have spike protecters or anything of the such on their gear and also it is known for HURTING THE SOUND of the gear when its plugged into these devices.

I have two seperate dedicated circuits for my audio rig alone with a bpt power cond but no protection at all plugged in the outlets...
anything happens I am calling state Farm..then Todd the vinyl junkie....hahaha

Jun 27, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
thats home owners insurance your talking and they usually are very nice when it comes to this (pends on you insurance company).

I believe home owners insurance will also cover anything that gets hit by a electrical spike also...again pends on you company.

My friend had every tv in his house paid for by his company after he got a bad hit one storm...not sure the company he has and what else was on the claim but I know it was a good amount of damage.

cause of this most audiophile's don't really have spike protecters or anything of the such on their gear and also it is known for HURTING THE SOUND of the gear when its plugged into these devices.

I have two seperate dedicated circuits for my audio rig alone with a bpt power cond but no protection at all plugged in the outlets...
anything happens I am calling state Farm..then Todd the vinyl junkie....hahaha

Yeah, we didn't have any problems, but then again, my parents had the company for many years (ING) without any previous problems. I am getting power conditioning/surge protection (already have a cheapo APC unit, but getting soemthing better), and even if the insurance company would pay me if my stuff broke because no protection, I would had rathered have had protection and not have to go through a process to retrieve money and have to buy new stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back