Surface Mount Soldering Practice
Feb 15, 2008 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

aamefford

I have a custom title!
Hi all,

I've got a Pimeta build coming up, and I plan to use LMH6321 buffers soldered in place on the bottom of the board. I want to practice surface mount soldering before I tackle these. I would like recommendations for CHEAP SOIC-8 chips, and just what to use for disposable PCB to practice with. As always, thank you all for your help!

aamefford

Feb 15, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 26
desolder something from some electronics. desoldering smd can be tougher than soldering it in but who cares.. just flood with solder on both sides, then heat one side, heat the other, oscillate and push a bit on each side.. maybe jam a little screw driver underneath to pry it up while you're at it. just mess up some messed up junk.. you'll get the idea. also a good skill to have :p

Feb 16, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
check out Fry's, they have a lot of surface mount proto boards / converter boards that would work nicely. They even show how to solder very high density packages...

/claps

Brilliant!

Feb 16, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #6 of 26
For surface mount see if you can get a hot plate and heat it up to around 200 degrees. Components will come off quicker without causing laminate damage (measling). Same thing for installation. Not sure how much the cost but PACE makes and excellent system and hotplate.

Feb 16, 2008 at 10:21 AM Post #7 of 26
What kind of SMD tips are there for the 936-12?

Feb 16, 2008 at 10:33 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just about every "kind" of tip you can imagine is available for the Hakko 936-12
HakkoUSA - Product Detail

IMO the stock tip is one of the best for SMD, the small, thin tips (like the 900M-T-0.5C) just do not have enough surface area to hold onto the solder

Feb 16, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like working with the 900M-T-0.8D 0.8mm chisel for most work. It's good for not-too-fine SMD, and I think of the few tips I've tried it's the best. The smallest tip available is the 900M-T-0.5C, a 0.5mm bevel tip. I haven't worked with it, but it should be good for very small SMD work. A small conical tip like 900M-T-SI might be useful as well. Super fine tips like that are really only useful for very fine pitch parts though, for most SOIC or TSSOP stuff I'd stick with the 900M-T-0.8D.

Feb 17, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #10 of 26
just to throw my opinion in regarding 936-12 tips, i too think that the stock tip works pretty well for most SMD stuff. i also bought a very fine conical tip when i bought my 936-12, but i like the chisel tip so much better that the conical never even gets used. it just doesn't have the surface area necessary to deliver much heat, it seems.

Feb 17, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #11 of 26
The standard iron tip will easily do any surface mount soldering. As long as you can see the pins, you can solder it as it is all in the technique. Big hint, use flux, and lots of it! The stuff that has the consistency of paste is the stuff you want

Feb 18, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like working with the 900M-T-0.8D 0.8mm chisel for most work. It's good for not-too-fine SMD, and I think of the few tips I've tried it's the best. The smallest tip available is the 900M-T-0.5C, a 0.5mm bevel tip. I haven't worked with it, but it should be good for very small SMD work. A small conical tip like 900M-T-SI might be useful as well. Super fine tips like that are really only useful for very fine pitch parts though, for most SOIC or TSSOP stuff I'd stick with the 900M-T-0.8D.

The 0.8mm chisel tip works great for SOIC parts. Avoid the skinny conical tips - they don't have enough surface area or thermal mass to be able to transfer heat. I solder a lot as part of my job, and I have never had any success using the small conical tips, even on TSSOP or TQFP packages.

Feb 18, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by aamefford /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

I've got a Pimeta build coming up, and I plan to use LMH6321 buffers soldered in place on the bottom of the board. I want to practice surface mount soldering before I tackle these. I would like recommendations for CHEAP SOIC-8 chips, and just what to use for disposable PCB to practice with. As always, thank you all for your help!

aamefford

About removing chips... If you don't care for the chip, simply
cut the leads and then remove them one by one. If you want
to try preserving the chip, try hot air gun - but very carefully
(practice before you use it - focus the hot air on the chip area
only and don't fry the PCB)!
Good luck!

Feb 18, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbalcer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About removing chips... If you don't care for the chip, simply
cut the leads and then remove them one by one. If you want
to try preserving the chip, try hot air gun - but very carefully
(practice before you use it - focus the hot air on the chip area
only and don't fry the PCB)!
Good luck!

You have to be extremely careful when cutting leads of SMT devices. The pads are small, and the twisting of cutting the leads can damage the pads, making it difficult to solder the new device in place. I've seen pads pulled completely off of PWBs by doing this. You also need good cutters with tips small enough to get between the pins of an SOIC package.

Feb 20, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #15 of 26
Thanks all - I'll gut my old VCR and see what I find in there first. IF any surface mount ic's, I guess I'll take 'em off and put 'em back on once or twice. I probably should have ordered a spare pimeta board while I was ordering. IF I had a spare on hand, I'd likely not need it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back