Sure SE215 upgrade
Jun 16, 2013 at 12:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sam-c

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Once again I'm back looking for recommendations. I like SE215s in many ways but the sound quality just isn't good enough for me to use on a day-to-day basis, although they are fine for the gym which is what I was after at the time.

In terms of what I like about them; I like the over-the-ear cable which is stiff around the ear, I also like the fact the monitor sits inside the ear as opposed to sticking out. My monster turbines stick out and it means they just fall out and are quite uncomfortable. I also like how comfortable the SE215s are and how well they isolate noise. 

Like I said I'm just looking for something with a bit more from the sound quality. I'm not very good at describing the sound signature I'm after but I love the sound signature of my AKG K550s which I know is a closed over-ear can so not directly comparable its the sort of sound I like as I like clarity and detail but also good amounts of bass as I predominantly listen to EDM and similar genres 

I'm looking to spend between £150 ($235) and £200 ($315) give or take.

Any help much appreciated as always! 

Regards

Sam

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 11
Atrio MG7 and Audio Technica CKS1000 are among the best IEM for EDM music and similar genres. 

Jun 16, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 11
You could try the Yamaha EPH 100. It can be OTE worn. In terms of clarity and detail they're better. Equally the Vsonic GR07 Bass Edition. But I suppose the natural SE215 upgrade is the SE535.

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 11
The Atrio's just dont do it for me, they look pig ugly :/ I'm not so concerned with asthetics but I really dont like the look of those. 

The CKS1000s appear to be a little hard to get hold of in the UK although I will keep having a look and will read up a bit more on them.

As for the EPH-100, are they really that much better than the se215s? In the UK they are pretty much identical in price :/ 

Unfortunately the 535s are outside of my budget I'm afraid 

Jun 17, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 11
Yes, it is much if you pay attention to details, otherwise you could call it different/partially improved. But they're more precise, detailed, maybe not so prominent in lows but significantly better in highs.

Jun 17, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #6 of 11
go for westone 3 or 4, both can be around 320 on amazon. Westone 4 if your more of an audiophile looking for flat frequency response, and 3 if you just want some nice sound (more consumer oriented sound).

Jun 19, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Yes, it is much if you pay attention to details, otherwise you could call it different/partially improved. But they're more precise, detailed, maybe not so prominent in lows but significantly better in highs.

In that case I'm not the EPH 100 are for me as although they will get some use on the train and when I'm flying where I can properly pay attention for detail, a lot of the time they will be used for day to day use when I dont want to have to pay attention/pro-actively think abut the detail, I just want it to be there. I hope that makes sense?

Quote:
go for westone 3 or 4, both can be around 320 on amazon. Westone 4 if your more of an audiophile looking for flat frequency response, and 3 if you just want some nice sound (more consumer oriented sound).

Had a look on the web for these in the UK and the W3 is around the £280 mark and the W4 is between £350-£400 which is almost twice my budget unfortunately as they are the style that I have taken a shine too since owning the 215s.

So the hunt goes on...

Jun 19, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #8 of 11
I'm not sure what you're after. You've said you like clarity and detail and the AKG K550. In that respect the EPH-100 is significantly better than the SE215.
Besides according to Amazon in the UK the EPH-100 is £30 more expensive than the SE215... so it's not an identical price.

Jun 19, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
I'm not sure what you're after. You've said you like clarity and detail and the AKG K550. In that respect the EPH-100 is significantly better than the SE215.
Besides according to Amazon in the UK the EPH-100 is £30 more expensive than the SE215... so it's not an identical price.

Ahh apologies I thought I paid £100 for the se215s but looking back at my purchase history I did pay £70 I stand corrected on that point :) 

I guess what I'm saying is I'm after detail but I want the quality to be significantly better than the se215s which I'm not overly impressed with if I'm honest. Where as, and correct me if I am wrong, you said that the difference would only be noticeable if you really listened for it, rather than the difference in quality being obvious? 

Jun 19, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #10 of 11
Let me put it that way: if you already have better, higher fidelity IEMs than entry-level ones, like the SE215, then the upgrade means other sound signature and/or improvement in details. You shouldn't expect that a sound would be completely different, outstanding or something... In fact you can buy some pricier IEMs and feel disappointed with it, if you didn't expect more clarity and detail, but something else, I don't know... a wow factor.

Jun 19, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #11 of 11
The "wow factor" I'm looking for is a more detailed, clearer (and possibly richer?) sound that is distinctly improved if that makes sense? If the increase is barely noticeable then, yes, I would be disappointed.

Thank you for taking the time to clarify the issue by the way! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back