Sure SE-310 shorting at mini plug
Jun 22, 2010 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

krell1

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of Sure SE-310 in ear monitors and was interested in modifying them since they are already damaged from repeated use. Instead of returning them to Shure for an $80 replacement fee, I wanted to know if anyone has bypassed the "Y" cord mini plug? I do not use any of the optional features for the SE-310's and hate the in-between mini jack imensely and am not sure how easy it is to cut and resplice the wired together. If anyone has done this with their Shure ear monitors I would really like to hear from you. I was thinking even if I screw it up they will still be replaceable from other wear and tear issues.

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 9
Wow this site must really be going down hill! You used to be able to get some good answers and suggestions on pprblems like this I have with the Shure SE-310's. I guess I haven't needed much in the headphone arena in a while toto recognize this.

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 9
Ask in the DIY section. They'll have better answers than here.

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 9

I'm sure it is possible to splice the cable, but it probably isn't going to look very nice. 

You'd probably want to twist the wires together end to end ( ===---   ---=== ), solder and heat shrink the whole deal.

Some folks have split their Shures open and re-wired from there which can have a overall better result, but it is a lot harder to do and more risky (might damage the case).  It sounds like some have been able to get Shure cases open by slow patient use of hot air to loosen the glue they use, but... dunno.

Probably the easiest approach would be to simply replace the end which will look reasonable, be easy to do, but doesn't help you with the extra connector.

-john

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #6 of 9
If you can get them open without trashing them.  Any pointers for opening the 310s?

That said, some folks have used epoxy to re-glue after opening, and to fill in the dents resulting in opening the case on various IEMs.  Then, after re-painting the IEM, the result can be reasonable.

-john

Aug 6, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the info all. I don't really care about looks of the wire and just wanted to know if others have successfully spliced the fine wires of the Shures together. I am somewhat handy and have a pencil type solder tool and either way I figure if it doesn't work I can still pay for a replacement.

My other route is to abandon the Shures and move to some other IEM and have been reading about Klipsch and others. Problem is I have custom molds I was hoping to not replace and find an IEM that can fit them the same way the Shuress fit which shouldn't be to much of a problem, they look similar ro other IEM's

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #8 of 9
The only difficulty you will likely have doing a "splice" is the wires are likely enameled.  I think some suggest to heat the wire with the iron to burn off the enamel, and some recommend a chemical solvent (exactly what slips my mind right now, someone will probably chime in -- there was a post about it in DIY, so you can probably search for it).

-john

Aug 6, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #9 of 9
Cool......I will have to'do just that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back