Sure fire way to test for driver imbalance?
Feb 25, 2012 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

GigaFi

500+ Head-Fier
I'm on my second pair of Brainwavz Beta's after replacing the first for driver imbalance but I think the new one is showing the same problem.

The first one was incredibly obvious with the mic side being significantly louder than the other but this time it seems to be slightly softer. In fact, it's so slight that one turn of balance control on my Poweramp app makes it imbalanced to the other side...Regardless though, it's still noticeable enough to be annoying.

Is there an easy way to 100% confirm the problem is there (and I'm not crazy) before I send it back?

On an unrelated note, this is my 3rd pair of IEMs with mic that has this issue. Is it possible the addition of an mic and remote messes with the resistance of the signal?

Feb 25, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 4
Just swop ears and listen for the imbalance to go to the other side. Also mix the L/R up and put them in without knowing which side is which a few times and listen for it, thus ruling out any psychological influence. I find it best to close my eyes and listen to the bass which is usually centered.

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 4
The only 100% way is to have it tested with a $10k dummy head for FR curve. The cheaper way is to generate a few pure tone (100Hz, 250Hz, 500hZ, 1kHz, etc...) on PC and measure both channels with a SPL meter (like $20 or so) for difference. The free way is to swap side, then ask a few friend to repeat the test without telling them which side you think is louder in the first place.

Also, not everyone has totally balanced hearing. In fact, I think most people probably has mild imbalance but our brain has compensated for it. You need to visit an audiologist to really know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back