Suppose I got an upgradisis crisis
Jul 5, 2006 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Philou

New Head-Fier
At the time, I'm very happy with my rig, H5 & DT880

But that's my first and only one, so sometimes a bad little voice commes to my ears and tells me that maybe I could get something else...

I'm trying to resists, answering that I prefer spending money on records than on gears, but supoose I'd eventually got to listen to that devilish voice...

In fact what I'd like to do to ease the upgradisis would be to get a second headphone to complement my DT880

I mean complement more than upgrade, so what I would be looking for would be something comparable to the DT880 in quality but with a very different sound, to let me feel the diversity of sound

What good headphone in the 200 to 300 euros or dollars range would you advise me to get that would make me feel a sweet/sour feeling compared to the DT800 ?

Thanks for your suggestions

Jul 5, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philou

But that's my first and only one, so sometimes a bad little voice commes to my ears and tells me that maybe I could get something else...

I'm trying to resists, answering that I prefer spending money on records than on gears, but supoose I'd eventually got to listen to that devilish voice...

In fact what I'd like to do to ease the upgradisis would be to get a second headphone to complement my DT880

I mean complement more than upgrade, so what I would be looking for would be something comparable to the DT880 in quality but with a very different sound, to let me feel the diversity of sound

What good headphone in the 200 to 300 euros or dollars range would you advise me to get that would make me feel a sweet/sour feeling compared to the DT800 ?

It depends on the kind of music you are listening to of course, but I would suggest maybe Grado SR225 or Alessandro MS2. They would introduce a bit of a "rock" feeling, which is the only thing the DT880s are a bit lacking in my opinion.

Jul 5, 2006 at 8:15 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

I feel the 880's are plenty good! Maybe you could try some different amps/DAC's. You wont get better than the 880, just different with say a 701 or 650.

Man this Ozzy is sounding good!!!

Jul 5, 2006 at 8:39 AM Post #4 of 9
I listen to many kind of music
Rock (mainly "classical" like Stones, Bowie, ...)
Jazz (Miles Davis, ...)
Classical music
French music (Gainsbourg, Higelin, ...)

I also feel that the 880 are missing a "rock feeling", that's often the first impression people got when they try it : it's very good but misses bass, not strictly true as the bass are there and very good, but not as obviously present as people are used to with all kind of "boom boom xtra bass" equipements

Do you think the grados will add a more present bass over the 880, without covering the mids & trebbles ?

What are the Alessandros ? Grados variations ?

I think the Sennheiser sound will most likely be subtle variation to the Beyer, probably not worth for what i'm looking for

The AKG 701 are overpriced for me, do they sound very transparent like 880 or 650 or are they more rock coloured like i understand the grados are ?

The search function is out of order right now, bad luck...

Other question : is there a european dealer for the Grado cans ?

Jul 5, 2006 at 9:03 AM Post #5 of 9
Sorry I don't know about any of these headphones, but if dealers sell any of the headphones you're interested in as overpriced, you could always look at the FS forum here. Although some users only like to sell within CONUS or North America, there are many who are willing to ship worldwide. I've noticed recent spurts of K701's, so if you decide that you'd like those, I'm sure you'd be able to buy them off of the forums.

Jul 5, 2006 at 9:11 AM Post #6 of 9
Yes, the forum here is a good place to buy used headphones.

I just visited Grado's website, but did not see a list of distributors. There must be one, since HeadRoom has France listed as a country they cannot ship Grados to.

Another option for you would be to buy from eBay. There are a number of reputable sellers who ship internationally. Also, Audiogon (http://www.audiogon.com) has many sellers willing to ship internationally.

Jul 5, 2006 at 9:25 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

I listen to many kind of music
Rock (mainly "classical" like Stones, Bowie, ...)
Jazz (Miles Davis, ...)
Classical music
French music (Gainsbourg, Higelin, ...)

I also feel that the 880 are missing a "rock feeling", that's often the first impression people got when they try it : it's very good but misses bass, not strictly true as the bass are there and very good, but not as obviously present as people are used to with all kind of "boom boom xtra bass" equipements

Do you think the grados will add a more present bass over the 880, without covering the mids & trebbles ?

What are the Alessandros ? Grados variations ?

I think the Sennheiser sound will most likely be subtle variation to the Beyer, probably not worth for what i'm looking for

The AKG 701 are overpriced for me, do they sound very transparent like 880 or 650 or are they more rock coloured like i understand the grados are ?

The search function is out of order right now, bad luck...

Other question : is there a european dealer for the Grado cans ?

The Grados will add a bit of bass punch. The overall sound signature is more energetic.

Yes the Alessandros are a Grado-variation. I only heard them for a short while, but they seem to sound a bit more refined than the original Grados. A lot of people prefer them over Grados because it makes them more all-round I guess. But you can check that out when the search function is back. Plenty of posts from actual owners.
In the meanwhile here is a link to the Allesandro site:
http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

HD650 are realy a variation on the DT880s. Different but not complementary.
And yes, like mentioned above: the DT880 are plenty good. Don't trade them in for any FOTM (flavor of the month), you will regret it later.

There are European Grado dealers, but they are (compared to US) extremely expensive. Better check out the for sale forum.

Jul 5, 2006 at 9:59 AM Post #8 of 9
Don't worry it's out of question that I sell my DT880 for something else, i'm faithfull to it !

The idea is to get an extra headphone complementary to it

Bass punch and more energetic sound signature sounds exactly like what is missing in the Beyers (at least for a certain type of listening of a certain type a music), and I wish I would be as faithfull to these cans than I am to the 880, so I'm definitly not looking for the FOTM !

I will look at the sale forum for some Grados or Alessandros, but anyway maybe not in the next days, got to prepare my wallet to that first !

Jul 5, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #9 of 9
My first entry level headphone was SR-80 and I still have it and won't give it up. It is a very good pair with DT-880 I use as my main cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back