SuperMicro IV vs. Mini IV for a Nano
Apr 20, 2007 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

tracyrick

100+ Head-Fier
If I'm going to combine a Xin Mini or Micro with a Nano back to back - and assuming the Micro sounds just as good as the Mini now - does the Micro really buy me anything in smaller size vs. the Mini?

I'm guessing I might as well get the Mini if it isn't any bigger than a Nano. Then I have more options since the Mini has more features than the Micro.

I guess I could do a size comparison using the specs, but I might miss something that way.

Apr 20, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 25
Up until 4/11/07 the Supermini SQ was not equal to that of the Supermicro - at 4/11 Dr. Xin finally discovered the tweaks needed to bring the SQ up to the same quality as the Supermicro (I now have a post 4/11 Supermacro LE
in my hands - so can speak from experience [also received my Supermini IV in December]). ......as to size/form factor with Nano....see here:
IMG_0101.jpg

So, IMO, as of now there is no reason to order a Supermicro over a Supermini.
BTW - my Nano is a 1st Gen........and that is Supermini IV polybanded to it.

Apr 20, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 25
When people say the SQ of the Supermini IV is lower than the Supermicro, are they saying there is no possible way of making the Supermini, in any way, sound as good or better than the Supermicro? Or do they mean the default configuration didn't sound as good?

Apr 21, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so how does your post 4/11 supermacro LE sound, bushguy?

X2. I owned a Supermacro about 2 or 3 years ago and at the time I though it was better than the SR71. 3 years and several iterations later, I would think it should be even better. I'm sorry I sold it. I'm thinking of buying it again. Was the Supermacro improved after 4/11? The one I owned had the OPA627 in it. Is the stock opamp better than the 627?
cool.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so how does your post 4/11 supermacro LE sound, bushguy?

x3

I am going to send my supermacro LE in soon also, after Xin OKs the upgrading process.

Apr 21, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 25
I really like the 627 but I just went to Xin's order page and it's not available.
frown.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #10 of 25
Besides the post-4/11/07 Supermacro LE, I also have a Dec '06 Supermini IV sitting here. The LE is still, obviously burning -in (not default opamps, but AD8616/8656, the 4 month old Supermini has 8616/8616). It clearly sounds, right out the box, so impressive that I contually opt to listen thru it. Let putting it this way, to provide some perspective. When I sold my Supermini III and opened the IV....my initial reaction was " is that all there is, if that's all there is my friend, then let's keep dancing" ..........if you remember the ennui permeating that late great Peggy Lee song, you have to realize the difference between my reaction then, and my reaction now to this amp..This time, nothing but huge smiles
smily_headphones1.gif
and
smily_headphones1.gif
. Right now, listening using v.3 Darths and Nano. The soundstage is huge. I'm not a real fan of HD25-1 or HME25 (these have better sound but don't care much for DJ double headbands) but still prob. the best portables out there.............anyway, I never heard them sound as good. Much more "open". Since the LE is still burning-in, I think it is somewhat foolish to into yards of detail description (which is not my tendency anyway). Suffice it to say that it is clearly superior to my slightly older Xin, which means his statement re equalling Supermicro would need to be accepted as being quite correct. ....This one is making me soo happy that it's likely the only fooling I'll do with it is reverse the opamps and see which works best for me. I do have both "spare" 8656 and 8616 but doubt I'll stray from this mixed arrangement.

Apr 22, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #11 of 25
Is that Nano REALLY pink??? Or is your color spectrum a tad off???

Apr 22, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #13 of 25
Anyone can give me a idea what is the OPAMP install in Micro? is it AD8616 or AD8620?

Apr 22, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #15 of 25
tnMike1 - Leftnose has it right - white iPod with skin from a orig. pkg of 5 iSkins. Notice the Vibes are not the "girly" RedRoxx version
smily_headphones1.gif
you ultra-right-wingers from the sissy-state of Tenn. are toooooo much
smily_headphones1.gif
. Too overwhelmed by traditional oppression via the great state of Ky. - I can understand the continual conundrums faced by residents of Tenn..
smily_headphones1.gif
- the home of warming on suppose-d grand scale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back