Supermicro IV and ER-4S
Dec 28, 2006 at 6:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bellsprout

500+ Head-Fier
I've heard good things about the Supermicro IV, but I haven't heard anything about how it drives ER-4S - if anything, people has been recommending the GV5 more. How's the synergy between Supermicro IV and ER-4S?

Dec 28, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #4 of 12
hmmm...my concern is that I've heard plenty of recommendations of GV5 as well as Supermacro 3v6. But both of these are rather large amps - transportable at best. I'm concerned about whether the tiny Supermicro IV will be able to drive the thing, considering ER-4S has a pretty high impedance as far as IEM's/portable setups go. I like pleasant surprises however.

I'm not really expecting anything that will make emo metal sound like beethoven 9th - if it adds some bass decay and headstage to my music, I'll give it 2 thumbs up

Dec 28, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #5 of 12
If you search carefully, specially threads by mrarroyo and vorlon and a few other amp enthusiasts, they have extensive experience with Xin Supermacro LE, Supermini, Supermicro and RSA Hornet M.

Most were surprised by how Supermicro perform despite the size. Some even claim Supermicro has bigger soundstage than Supermini and Supermacro, and some even claimed Supermicro is akin to RSA SR-71 in certain aspects. The only donside is that Supermicro is not built for OPAMPs rolling like Supermini or Supermicro (which even support crossfade).

If Dr. Xin built his amps around ER-4S, there's beyond any doubt that Supermini/Micro can drive ER-4S to the fullest. In fact Dr Xin deemed his amp complete if the result he heard through his ER-4S is satisfactory.

Dec 28, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm...my concern is that I've heard plenty of recommendations of GV5 as well as Supermacro 3v6. But both of these are rather large amps - transportable at best. I'm concerned about whether the tiny Supermicro IV will be able to drive the thing, considering ER-4S has a pretty high impedance as far as IEM's/portable setups go. I like pleasant surprises however.

I'm not really expecting anything that will make emo metal sound like beethoven 9th - if it adds some bass decay and headstage to my music, I'll give it 2 thumbs up

Either the Supermini IV or the Supermicro IV will drive: K501, K701, HD600, Ety ER4P/S, etc. Not only will it drive it but it will sound excellent. So far I have not found a portable amp that sounds better and I have been looking.

Dec 28, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #7 of 12
I sold my very good Supermini III (used it with AD8656 opamp), and NOW have a Supermini IV (with 2 AD8616 opamps and no bufffers)..........and lovin' it. This one is being used with a de-podded iM716 - and I've not heard these Ety-derived 'phones sound nearly as good (had used the same de-podded pair with the earlier setup)..........more specific to your question, a friend bought a Supermacro IV (with AD7656 opamp) and he is ecstatic about it in combination with both his ER-4S, and Beyer dt880. I had orignally suggest he buy both opamps to find what makes him happy. I has yet to install the Ad8616, because he is soo happy with what he is already hearing..........my personal sense of what works best (based on experience with them) is - if primary use is for ER-4S, I'd suggest a Supermacro LE with the AD8616 opamps (it gives the most solid, fullest sound with effortless bass production - plus an incredible soundstage.....on the other hand, the dt880 seems best with AD8656 choice.
Now, in addition to my Supermini, I'm ordering a Supermacro LE/AD8656 for Beyer (primarily for dt880, although it also allows me to use Darth's in the backyard
smily_headphones1.gif
) use. As it was stated by a previous poster - these Xin amps do justice to most 'phones int the aprox 250 ohm category. He is building amazing portable amps.

Dec 28, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #8 of 12
I just read your interim post. Neither a Supermacro or Supermini are in anyway large or could conceivably be called "transportable". My Nano/Supermini combo regularly glides into my shirtpocket, and a Supermacro is regular- 5th gen.iPod-sized. I have to wonder how you could perceive either one as belonging in the "transportable" category. A Supermacro measures 3.3" long (shorter than a Nano) x 2.1" wide x 0.9" high. Weight for a regular Supermacro w/ its' batteries is 9oz, and LE version likely weighs in (w/batteries) at aprox. 7oz.

Dec 29, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #10 of 12
I am using nano(2nd) + copper dock + SuperMicro3 + ER-4P(with 24p).
ER-4P with 24P adapter is almost equal to ER-4S.

SuperMicro3 drives ER-4P/24P fairly good, superb instrument separation and 3D soundstage. Great combo for Jazz and chamber music.
I like this combo, SuperMicro4 would be better.
I am thinking to upgrade but waiting time would be so long..

Dec 29, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the pics.

The Micro looks gorgeous and so teeny, tiny.

I like the clear blue. It's the one I want.

Vedy, vedy nice.

Dec 29, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ER-4P with 24P adapter is almost equal to ER-4S.

SuperMicro3 drives ER-4P/24P fairly good, superb instrument separation and 3D soundstage. Great combo for Jazz and chamber music.
I like this combo, SuperMicro4 would be better.
I am thinking to upgrade but waiting time would be so long..

Oh wow!!
My portable rig is going to be almost like that but im still waiting on my ALO mini dock and supermicroIV to get here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back