SuperMacro V3.0!!!!!!!
Mar 10, 2005 at 2:17 PM Post #46 of 77
Good lord! Does this mean that replacing the op-amp will become a dangerous game?

(Oh man, this PPA is SOOOOO cool!)

Mar 10, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #47 of 77
Please do not refer to the SuperMacro or any other non PPA as a true PPA. SuperMacro may borrow some ideas from the PPA, but it is not and never will be a PPA. The name PPA is the intellectual property of Team PPA and refers to our PPA headphone amplifier board. Team PPA is Morsel, Tangent, and PPL.

Mar 10, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #48 of 77
Thanks for the clarification, Morsel
smily_headphones1.gif
I noticed that Xin mentioned "PPA type" not "PPA" in his reply to my questions. I might have missed the context by quoting this piece of private message.

Mar 10, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #49 of 77
It's also curious why Xin would want to dilute the "Supermacro" brand by equating it with a PPA. People will just say, "Supermacro v3 is just a miniature version of a PPA," which is not what I want if I were him.
confused.gif

Mar 11, 2005 at 6:04 AM Post #51 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
It's also curious why Xin would want to dilute the "Supermacro" brand by equating it with a PPA. People will just say, "Supermacro v3 is just a miniature version of a PPA," which is not what I want if I were him.
confused.gif

Dilute the Supermacro brand? You probably haven't been around long enough to know. Actually, it's the other way around. Xin's trying to give his Supermacro a higher end cachet by associating it with the legendary PPA.

Mar 11, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #52 of 77
Quote:

Dilute the Supermacro brand? You probably haven't been around long enough to know. Actually, it's the other way around. Xin's trying to give his Supermacro a higher end cachet by associating it with the legendary PPA

Doesn't matter if the PPA is legendary. By giving the impression that the "Supermacro" is a PPA knock-off means diluting the brand. It loses its uniqueness as a product.

Imagine Toyota claiming their engine is like a Benz. Well, if Toyota sells them at a substantially lower price, that's one thing. If it's the same price, just get a real Benz and forget about the wannabes.

Mar 11, 2005 at 7:01 AM Post #53 of 77
A ppa is significantly larger than a supermacro

there are two types of amps, portables and home models.

i'm sure i don't have to explain which ones are generally better.

but recently with the sr71, and supermacro, we may reconsider.

before them, the pcmkII and the larocca pocket amp were consider almost as good as the ppa's and melos shas (ahem. cough cough, check my sig)

so to say it's like a mini-ppa type amp is a great achievment.

Mar 11, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #54 of 77
I am not sure of the idea behind it except that maybe it is that you can a PPA type amp in a very, very small package. Maybe because it has some of design concepts of the PPA, and goes on from there. I don't know, just thoughts.

John

Mar 11, 2005 at 7:14 AM Post #55 of 77
Quote:

A ppa is significantly larger than a supermacro
there are two types of amps, portables and home models.

Sure. You can also argue that the supermacro has more "goodies" like bass boost, gain switch, etc. But you missed my point. If the supermacro is nothing more than a "mini-PPA," then you might as well call it "mini-ppa+" and not the "supermacro." That's what I meant by brand dilution.

Mar 11, 2005 at 8:58 AM Post #56 of 77
Its actually not a bad thing from a marketing point of view if the PPA is as good and well known as I think it is (I only recently read about the PPA).

Xin can't call it mini-PPA from an intellectual property point of view anyway.

However, saying that its got features similar to other well known product does not diminish its image. In fact, it should enhance it for most.

PPA-Like Supermacro is akin to "AMD <Blah> with SSE". Their own "3D Now!" extension just isn't as well established as the various versions of SSE, so it doesn't hurt it to borrow something that is typically and originally associated Intel processors.

Mar 11, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #57 of 77
XIN's crazy about technologies. I don't think he's thinking about brand stuff when talking about PPA-type technology. IMHO, he's trying to explain what kind of technologies he's using in the SM V3.0. The fact is: It's a SuperMacro V3.0 using some technical ideas in PPA, i.e., three seperated identical channels, can stack up buffers and roll opamps. As always, SuperMacro has something totally different from a PPA. As consumer I care little about what brand he's using (SuperMacro, POLO, MONO, ....), but do care what new stuff he's bringing in a product.

Mar 11, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #58 of 77
There are pictures up now on Xin's site. Just the seeing everything packed in there is pretty inspiring.

John

Mar 11, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #59 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8
There are pictures up now on Xin's site. Just the seeing everything packed in there is pretty inspiring.

John

Link please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back