Supermacro IV latest tweaks worth the wait?
Aug 2, 2007 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

justhavingfun

500+ Head-Fier
I always wanted to try out the Xin's Supermacro amp but loooong wait for the amp detered me from buying one. But I had a chance to buy the used Supermacro IV from other head-fier member (stevenkelby) here so I took the plunge. Steve was world class act from start to finish in this transaction. I had a chance to listen to most of RSA's portable amps which include Hornet, Tomahawk, and SR-71. There is no doubt Ray makes one of the most beautiful amps in the world but its sound signature wasn't for me. However, when you order amp from RSA, you will receive your amp within a week not like Xin's amp which can take several months. If you plan to use Xin's amp as the only amp, you will no doubt be frustrated to the max. Having said that, after I received Supermacro IV and listen to it, this very small portable amp might be "THE ONE" portable amp for me. Of course time will tell me whether this will be the case but this Supermacro IV sounds incredible to my ears. I am truly amazed at how small this amp is and yet it sounds so powerful and punchy. Now I understand how some people are willing to wait so long for Xin's amps. There is no question when it comes to aesthetic, RSA amps win hands down over Xin's amps but to my ears, this Supermacro IV amp wins over all other RSA's portable amps that I have tried for its sound signature to my ears. Now I am willing to wait however long does it takes to receive Xin's amp in the future which brings my next main question. This amp does not have latest tweaks (4/11 and 5/13) from Dr. Xin but upto date as of November 2006. Those of you who had a chance to listen to pre-4/11 tweaks of Xin's amp vs. post-4/11 tweaks, is it worth to send the amp to Xin for that latest update? Or is it just tweaking of more effective utilization of power source? Heck, I might even order the Xin Reference amp when it is available to order and maybe I will receive the amp in time for this year's X-mas time.
icon10.gif

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 20
No don't send it he doesn't need any more work, we are up to 5 months as I hear it.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by justhavingfun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always wanted to try out the Xin's Supermacro amp but loooong wait for the amp detered me from buying one. But I had a chance to buy the used Supermacro IV from other head-fier member (stevenkelby) here so I took the plunge. Steve was world class act from start to finish in this transaction. I had a chance to listen to most of RSA's portable amps which include Hornet, Tomahawk, and SR-71. There is no doubt Ray makes one of the most beautiful amps in the world but its sound signature wasn't for me. However, when you order amp from RSA, you will receive your amp within a week not like Xin's amp which can take several months. If you plan to use Xin's amp as the only amp, you will no doubt be frustrated to the max. Having said that, after I received Supermacro IV and listen to it, this very small portable amp might be "THE ONE" portable amp for me. Of course time will tell me whether this will be the case but this Supermacro IV sounds incredible to my ears. I am truly amazed at how small this amp is and yet it sounds so powerful and punchy. Now I understand how some people are willing to wait so long for Xin's amps. There is no question when it comes to aesthetic, RSA amps win hands down over Xin's amps but to my ears, this Supermacro IV amp wins over all other RSA's portable amps that I have tried for its sound signature to my ears. Now I am willing to wait however long does it takes to receive Xin's amp in the future which brings my next main question. This amp does not have latest tweaks (4/11 and 5/13) from Dr. Xin but upto date as of November 2006. Those of you who had a chance to listen to pre-4/11 tweaks of Xin's amp vs. post-4/11 tweaks, is it worth to send the amp to Xin for that latest update? Or is it just tweaking of more effective utilization of power source? Heck, I might even order the Xin Reference amp when it is available to order and maybe I will receive the amp in time for this year's X-mas time.
icon10.gif

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 20
Hi Justhavingfun ........Its great isn't it
biggrin.gif
...... even drives my HD650's very respectably and you can roll op-amps to get it sounding just right for your own needs. I'm the same as you with the upgrades (pre 4/11) , but have decided there's no way I'm doing without my SuperMacro IV for 'x' amount of months in the hope that there may be some very minor improvements to what is already an outstanding little amp. It is well known that Dr Xin has obsessive compulsive tweaking disorder (and I personally hope that he never finds a cure) but unless someone(perhaps on this thread?) can convince me that the latest tweaks will be mind-blowingly better than my present SM IV , then I personally see absolutely no reason whatsoever to join that looooong Xin queue. It just doesn't make sense.......
600smile.gif

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 20
Feel the same way as you all. Bought Anthonyfirst's Supermacro IV LE a month or so ago, realizing it was the pre 4/11. I've owned a Supermacro IV before and sold it; this LE version is sooo superior I too am hesitant about returning, not having it for about four months, then getting it back with just "modest" improvements. UNLESS someone can tell me there are earth-shattering improvements, I'll just keep it until all the orders trickle down--maybe a year or so. Then we can talk upgrades

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #5 of 20
It sounds to me we basically share same thought on this matter. My Supermacro IV (opamp 637 max version currently) sounds so good with not just portable headphones but it is equally good with full size headphones, it may not worthwhile to send the amp to Dr. Xin for minor (it seems) tweaking and be without the SM IV for several months. I will probably just hold on to the amp until there is significant "must" upgrade in the future.
cool.gif
Thanks for the response. Happy listening.
etysmile.gif

Aug 3, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by justhavingfun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds to me we basically share same thought on this matter. My Supermacro IV (opamp 637 max version currently) sounds so good with not just portable headphones but it is equally good with full size headphones, it may not worthwhile to send the amp to Dr. Xin for minor (it seems) tweaking and be without the SM IV for several months. I will probably just hold on to the amp until there is significant "must" upgrade in the future.
cool.gif
Thanks for the response. Happy listening.
etysmile.gif

I see you have a nice little collection of amps in your sig 'justhavingfun'. I would be really interested in how the SupermacroIV compares with any of them for driving the HD600.

Aug 3, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by som4ew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't send it. Buy another XIN amp wait till it arrive,then send old one for upgrade.
(that what I plan to do.)

Agreed. But don't send anything in when Xin is so busy like he is now.

I almost sent in my SuperMacro IV (post 4/11 version; its 3rd update!!!) when I received my SuperMicro back in June at Xin's suggestion. I am glad I didn't. Who knew he would get so busy with the Reference?

I am going to wait for quite a while until things calm down before I send in the Macro for updates....maybe in January.....2009...when the backlogs are all cleared up!!!! Just teasing!

Aug 6, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #11 of 20
OK so we all agree that now is a horrible time to send something in for an upgrade. BUT back to the MAIN question: are these upgrades truly revolutionary/breathtaking/uplifting enough to wait for maybe 4 to 5 months for your amp to come back?? Meanwhile, with no reply from Xin despite emails, letters, etc.

Would love to hear input on what the "new" Supermacro sounds like vs. the original--either the Supermacro or the LE, which is what I have

Aug 6, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #12 of 20
Today, Goto2003 posted this message he got from Dr. Xin.

""I'm okay and about to release the Reference. I've been listening the
different configurations, but so far the 22000Nich sounds the most "reference" to me. Other versions have their own virtues but not so relaxed and so laid-back after long period of listening."

Seems Xin's ready to release the RE.
*he means 22000Uf Nichicon cap.

Aug 6, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #13 of 20
OK, that's great Bushguy, but still doesn't answer the query: are the recent mods to older Supermacros--IV and IV LE--worth the wait to send them back andhave them retrofitted??

Aug 7, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #14 of 20
So far, nobody was able to tell me whether the latest tweaks (4/11 and 5/30) were worth to send the amp back and wait for 4 or 5 months. I am not sure that many people were able to directly compare between those tweaks. Unless there are significant differences, I am not going to send the amp back for update yet.

Aug 7, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #15 of 20
Hi I had a supermacro which is now with Subfocus. I got a supermini after 4/11 tweaks and I thought it was better than my supermacro and made me to sell it. Not a big margin though.
It seems Dr. Xin is on the verge of finishing the development of referrence and he will release it soon. When he is in the development mode, he dose upgrades much before than new orders, so the lead time is less. But i would suggest you to have a backup amp as if he goes into development mode again you will be in trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back