Supermacro IV + dt770/80?
Mar 21, 2007 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kessomatt

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone have this setup? This amp would basically just be used with my ipod. I am quite happy with the SQ I get from my computers sound card(xfi). I owned a supermacro 3 about a year ago but sold it becuase it did not really make a difference with the super fi 5 pros I had. I did like the bass boost option, and think that it would help on the ipod. Can anyone comment on the bass boost?

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 5
You'd actually want to use bassboost with dt770 ? ..................dt770 have the capability to provide all the bass you can want, so I'm guessing you don't understand what he means by the term. The bassboost switch increases the bass portion of the spectrum of "bass-deficient" 'phones (eg. some would say. Ety er-4). If you have dt770, your concern is to provide the POWER (or juice) to allow them to function as they are designed. Deep bass/busy bass passages up power requirements. Insufficient power (pls don't misunderstand, ability to simply be loud enough, does not indicate sufficient reserves to adequately handle those low notes) can/does sometimes result in "rattling" sound. These caveats usually come into play with lower-priced amps. BTW, you should rest assured these comments are from a multi-Darthbeyer (and Xin) owner.

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 5
I prefer the sound of my Darths(770pro/80) using my SM3v6(OPA637) than my desktop tube amp(Xiangsheng 708B). With the tube amp, the soundstage was wider and instrument separation was slightly better, but the Xin somehow just makes the mosic more enjoyable, especially with the bassboost and crossfeed switched on. The sound with Xin is more upfront and much fuller, IMO therefore more suitable for music that a 770pro/80 user would usually put through it. The bassboost is almost an indulgence...makes the cups shake literally, but causes fatigue over prolonged periods
basshead.gif

Since the SM4 is supposed to have a better/wider soundstage than the SM3, I'm guessing it would be a good match YMMV...

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks, I do like real excessive bass sometimes depending what I am listening too.
basshead.gif
How about out of an ipod though? Or any underpowered mp3 player really, becuase right now the bass sometimes gets distorted on my ipod.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fongalv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the sound of my Darths(770pro/80) using my SM3v6(OPA637) than my desktop tube amp(Xiangsheng 708B). With the tube amp, the soundstage was wider and instrument separation was slightly better, but the Xin somehow just makes the mosic more enjoyable, especially with the bassboost and crossfeed switched on. The sound with Xin is more upfront and much fuller, IMO therefore more suitable for music that a 770pro/80 user would usually put through it. The bassboost is almost an indulgence...makes the cups shake literally, but causes fatigue over prolonged periods
basshead.gif

Since the SM4 is supposed to have a better/wider soundstage than the SM3, I'm guessing it would be a good match YMMV...

Mar 21, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 5
For me this is a great combination. I have an RWA iMod and listen to mostly classical music and some jazz with the DT880s (also AKG501s, re-cabled 81DJs and re-cabled KSC75s). The SMIV bass boost helps a bunch, but the DT880s are hungry cans (as are the 501s) and sometimes with some numbers the gain can help also.

There is warmth yet clarity with the 880s all along the frequency spectrum, good soundstage and instrument separation. Just a fine combination overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back