SuperMacro-3 is available with promotion (2XBUF634 for free)
Mar 14, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #46 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by TooNice

I think the SR-71 has already reached the legendary "You simply can't go wrong with it" status among the portable. The SM is also highly regarded, but my impression is that it hasn't reach the SR-71 status (and I guess there is no saying whether its justified or not).

I was debating between the Portaphile V2 and the SM V2. But with the price increase of the SM, I reckon that I am more likely to go with the SR-71 simply due to legacy the SR-71 seems to have built here.

(This is from the perspective of someone who hasn't listened to either but basing the judgement from what I've read).

Lemme just tell you, I think the legendary status of the SR-71 is completely justified.

I remember when I started looking at portable headphone amps, I looked long and hard at both the SM and SR-71. Yet, for some reason, I believed the SuperMacro was the better choice based upon the switches and flexibility, the smaller size, the rechargable set-up and a bit of a lower price (yet when I got it all tricked out, it tagged at closer to $350.00), and IT IS a great amp. Xin's customer service and support has been great, and I am excited about upgrading the SM.

Now that I have had a chance to live with the SR-71, I love it, and the price of the SR-71 is fully worth it. The lack of sound flexibility so far as switches has not even affected my enjoyment of the SR-71 one bit, just flick it on, turn the knob and get your mind and ears BLOWN. It has just been jamming and cranking out tunes for me non-stop since I got it on Thursday of last week.

Mar 14, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #47 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProleArtThreat
I'm torn between a Supermacro and an SR-71 myself. The only think that's tipping the scales toward the SM is the P-->S impedance switch built in to the amp which to me is less a matter of saving money (it is an additional $50 after all) than a question of having one less adapter to carry around in my already overstuffed messenger bag.

i'm going to be getting a P->S adaptor for use at home anyway, so it makes some of the SM's features slightly redundant for me. it's going to be at least a couple months before i'm in a position to get a transportable amp anyway (i need a DAC and a new CDP, first). maybe by then the SuperMacro version 19 will be out and the whole SR-71/SM paradigm will have completely shifted. who knows?

Mar 14, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #48 of 314
Just wait and get the SM/dac that will be coming out. That will fix you up just right.

John

Mar 14, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #49 of 314
Quote:

Now I would like to compare the SMV3 to the SR71. The V2 does have a slightly wider stage and a bit more detail than the 71 (with its black back ground) but it is so very close.

You mean the SM V2 has the same sound signature as the SR71?
eek.gif
redundant amps? I was thinking of getting a V3 assuming the sound is different than the sr71, but if it sounds alike, then I might as well forget it since I already have the sr71.

Mar 14, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #50 of 314
I saw the new SuperMacro-3 Headphone Amp annoucement and
ordering information on Xin's Fixup.net website.

However, I thought that there would be some upgrade options
for the the SM V1.0 CURRENT OWNERS.

The SM V3.0 board looks small enough to fit the V1.0 enclosure.
What do you all think?

Do you think that Xin will offer to sell the SM V3.0 Board
for the SM V1.0 owners, as XIN had announced he was going
to do with the SM V2.0 ????????????????????????????

So SM V2.0 was only a prototype and will not be commercially released?
And All Selling SM are V3.0 only?

Thanks!

Mar 14, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #51 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by rab10

So SM V2.0 was only a prototype and will not be commercially released?
And All Selling SM are V3.0 only?

Thanks!

Xin once mentioned that the current SM3 can be configured to be a SM2 using the same circurt board; but since SM3 sounds better than SM2 and he is not gonna go with SM2 anymore.

Mar 14, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #52 of 314
I doubt that the SM V3 will sound like any of the previous SM's as the topology is totally different.

The sound signature of the SM and SR 71 are different as the SM is a little more aggressive but they are both so good that unless you listen and listen hard, the music is being presented in such a convincing manner that the musical enjoyment takes front stage. There how was that?

It appears that the SM V3 uses the same case as it also uses the same number of AAA batteries etc. It would appear the SM V2 was a beta, as that is what I got. The Super Mini should be interesting. But the Mac Dac will offer many nice options.

I guess the SM V2 will be a very rare bird.

John

Mar 14, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #53 of 314
@uncle b: I noticed that you also got an UM2. I was just wondering what sort of improvement can one expect from using an amp on, what I imagine are (due to the fact canal phones are meant to be portable), easy to drive phones?

Another question to anyone.. How long has the SR-71 been around?

Mar 14, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #54 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8
I doubt that the SM V3 will sound like any of the previous SM's as the topology is totally different.

The sound signature of the SM and SR 71 are different as the SM is a little more aggressive but they are both so good that unless you listen and listen hard, the music is being presented in such a convincing manner that the musical enjoyment takes front stage. There how was that?

It appears that the SM V3 uses the same case as it also uses the same number of AAA batteries etc. It would appear the SM V2 was a beta, as that is what I got. The Super Mini should be interesting. But the Mac Dac will offer many nice options.

I guess the SM V2 will be a very rare bird.

John

The name "Mac Dac" has such a nice ring to it, sounds like a new burger or something like that.
It'll be interesting to compare the sound of SuperMacro to a PPA, since they as Xin claims have similar circuit structures.

Mar 14, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #55 of 314
Quote:

How long has the SR-71 been around?

End of June 2004.

Mar 14, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #56 of 314
Thanks. Is there such thing as a typical product cycle when it comes to portable amp?

Obviously SM V2 -> SM V3 is an exception in that its extremely short.

But I wonder about SM V1 -> SM V2 and Portaphile V1 -> Portaphile V2.

Basically, I don't think I can splash any more money on audio equipment for a few months after the UM2. And I figure that if there is a chance for the SR-71 to get updated in the mean time, then its even better!

I really hope I can get and use for 5 years or so.

Mar 14, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #57 of 314
Quote:

@uncle b: I noticed that you also got an UM2. I was just wondering what sort of improvement can one expect from using an amp on, what I imagine are (due to the fact canal phones are meant to be portable), easy to drive phones?

Those Westone UM2's are absolutely mind-blowing now. I mean they were nice 'phones before the SuperMacro, with the SuperMacro, and now with the SR-71, they are PHENOMENAL. Another high-ticket purchase, but they are, also, worth the money.

I don't mean to sound so gushy, but I'm just really in headphone/portable amp/music nirvana right now, really feelin' these components (if not my wallet).

Mar 14, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #58 of 314
Xin's product cycles are nothing like anything else I've ever seen. He is constantly working to improve his amps and I wouldn't be surprised if a year from now he was introducing the SuperMacro V6.2c. That is unless he stops working on the SuperMacro to develop the SuperDACro.

One thing you have to remember about updates and upgrades is that they don't render previous versions useless. If it sounds good now, it will still sound good 5 years from now.

Mar 14, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #59 of 314
Quote:

Or in other words, it really doesn't matter which amp since you'll be enjoying the music more than the differences in the amp. Yes, that helped a lot. I think I'll wait for Xin's dac then.
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #60 of 314
as a Supermacro V1 owner, i'm actually kind of annoyed. as cool as it is to have new versions so often, i feel like i'm left in the dust... especially since i don't know whether or not i can upgrade mine w/o having to buy an entirely new amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back