SuperMacro-3 a review
Apr 12, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #121 of 247
Sounds great that everyone is recieving their SuperMacro v3.0 now.

Quick question to those SM v3.0 owners with the black enclosure:
is the black case easily scratchable? And when the black case gets
scratched is the scratch a silver color that is really noticeable? I
have the silver enclosured SM v1.0 and haven't had any problems
with scratches. yet. But if a scratch does occur on the case it
wont be that noticeable, a silver color scratch on a silver color
case is not noticeable. How about the black enclosure?

Thanks!

Apr 12, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #122 of 247
I hike with mine, have dropped it, taken it across country a few times and the case looks fine. No real scratches but a black marker would cover a scratch up, more or less. Actually I don't really care, the case is rugged and protects the good stuff inside.

John

Apr 12, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #123 of 247
Well, my SM3 couldn't have taken a breath since I put a hand on it. This baby (with NE5534's) really blew me away immediately. Did I ever say MX500 is a great ear bug? Yes, it is. I couldn' t believe it can make some low end impact justice from time to time on SM3, which reminds me of my ProAC T2000s.

Apr 12, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #124 of 247
my headphones are vibrating against my ears =P and no hiccups.... only thing is.. now you can hear how crappy some music is recorded.
rolleyes.gif
i cant wait for the new chips to come in to test how they sound...
smily_headphones1.gif
they make my senn 212 pro's sound amazing
cool.gif

Apr 12, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #125 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by rab10
Sounds great that everyone is recieving their SuperMacro v3.0 now.

Quick question to those SM v3.0 owners with the black enclosure:
is the black case easily scratchable? And when the black case gets
scratched is the scratch a silver color that is really noticeable? I
have the silver enclosured SM v1.0 and haven't had any problems
with scratches. yet. But if a scratch does occur on the case it
wont be that noticeable, a silver color scratch on a silver color
case is not noticeable. How about the black enclosure?

Thanks!

I don't know about the V3, but at least in the case of my V1 black case, there are some very small, but noticeable, scratch marks. I don't have the SM with me here, but I think they're silver color, although opaque and they don't call your attention very much.

I think some of the scratches might have been caused by moving the amp around my desk, which has a very dirty surface, before I installed the little plastic "feet" on the bottom of the amp.

Apr 12, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #126 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by alanz
I made a couple of photos of the upgrade kit before assembly.
If you're interested, take a look at by clicking here

WOW! Is it me or does it look like the Ouput jack and power jack on the V3 are much more spaced apart than they are in the V1? This by itself would be a big improvement for me. No more cramped connectors!

Check it out...

Apr 12, 2005 at 1:01 PM Post #127 of 247
Everything is the same on the front. I haven't really found it to be that much of a problem once I have everything ready to go. I know where I want the switches, turn the unit on put the headphone in and away I go or just use it as the desk. The V3 has become my home unit as well.

John

Apr 12, 2005 at 2:24 PM Post #128 of 247
The distance from the out socket to the power socket has not changed...

However, it might appear that it has changed because the V3 units use a slightly different socket the for in and out ports. The new sockets have a much thinner wall (silver colored) around them, so the holes in the faceplate are smaller than in the V1. So visually, yes there is more black space between the out port and the power port. But the actual distance from center to center remains the same.

Apr 12, 2005 at 2:39 PM Post #129 of 247
Up close and personal....

sm3e.jpg

Apr 12, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #130 of 247
Nice pictures. It seems that SM3 has better alignment than SM1. Oh, I wish the bottom one is a SuperDAC
600smile.gif

Apr 12, 2005 at 3:19 PM Post #131 of 247
I don't see any difference in the alignment... both look to have precision hole alignment. In both faceplates, all the switch holes are in line, with the power hole a little higher than the rest. This is really nicely done... Xin has chosen a good case/faceplate supplier.

Apr 12, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #132 of 247
Hmm... but don't the input and output jacks looks slightly different in the V3 vs. the V1? The ones on the V1 look thicker.

Apr 12, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #133 of 247
Zoide,

Yes, I pointed out the thinner socket walls a couple of messages ago... and posted the photo to show the differences.

Apr 12, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #135 of 247
you get everything you need. All you do is slide the new boards in. There is no soldering.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back