SuperMacro-3 a review
Apr 9, 2005 at 4:16 PM Post #76 of 247
There should be no difference, ones and zeros, but there is. Jitter and other factors can alter the sound as well as the optical transmitter being used in eiher unit. I am referring to the optical digital out on both units. That is why some people will pay 1000 to 25,000 for a transport. there is a difference.

John

Apr 9, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #77 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8
True but who wants to pack additional batteries around. So many options so little time.

John

That's my thinking, too. It's already a bit ridiculous to carry around a player, dac, amp, and headphones, as well as the cables, adapters for when you need to recharge, and a bunch of CDS. Of course, I don't mind being a bit ridiculous but you have to draw the line somewhere. I don't think the difference in sound quality going from the digital out of the SlimX to the D-303 is worth carrying the extra box, and as already pointed out, the D-303 has no skip protection.

Apr 9, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #78 of 247
Yes it can get to be a bit much. I often take a D-EJ2000, Moica II dac, V3 and ofcourse the headphones on walks and hikes. It takes up little room but anything more, additional battery packs etc, would take the enjoyment away. I was out hiking the other day and the sound was too good. It actually got inthe way of the hike so I shut everything down. It was as if I was at home listening to a high end system with an open transparent stage. But it is great for flights and sitting in the car when my partner is looking for clothes. She complains much less now about my hobby since I take her shopping and I am occupied allowing her to shop for a few hours.

John

Apr 10, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #79 of 247
Cool!!! I finally got the shipment confirmation of my SM3. I had a talk with Xin last night and he said AD8610's sound fantastic in SM3 as well. I have a pair of it and can't wait to compare them to OPA627/637 and NE5534s.

Apr 10, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #80 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by goto2003
Cool!!! I finally got the shipment confirmation of my SM3.

Me too. My amp is in the mail, my amp is in the mail, my amp is in the mail.

Now the really hard part of the wait.
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #81 of 247
Do you think UPS will ship on Saturday? Or they just leave it somewhere in their backyard and kick it out this Monday?

Apr 10, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #82 of 247
Xin ships by mail and priority, which he uses, travels on the weekend. Two times I received a package mailed on sat on monday. It was mailed from Florida and came to Tucson, Arizona. I look forward to other impressions, which there should be many in a short time.

John

I will try the 8610 tonight.

Apr 10, 2005 at 1:00 PM Post #83 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by goto2003
Do you think UPS will ship on Saturday? Or they just leave it somewhere in their backyard and kick it out this Monday?

I got my SuperMacro 3 boards yesterday, Saturday. Didn't have any time to listen yesterday as I was gone all day. I'm going to be studying all day today so I'll be checking it out!

One thing that I'm a little confused about is this talk of 2 vs. 4 boards. It seems to me that there can only be two circuit boards, otherwise it won't fit in the amp enclosure. While the layout for my new module is different, with buffers and opamps on different sides, it is still two boards.

Apr 10, 2005 at 1:52 PM Post #84 of 247
4-layer board (not 4 circurt boards) means the board has four layers of copper, two layers inside the board that can be used for ground or isolation.

Apr 10, 2005 at 2:32 PM Post #85 of 247
Yes, of course. It makes perfect sense now.

Thanks!

Apr 10, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #86 of 247
Goto and erikzen,

And then there are those of us who haven't the foggiest idea what you're just talking about!!! And we are happy to be blissfully ignorant!!

BillC, good for you! I know you have been eager to hear that your SM is on its way.* Now was that too bad????????

Apr 10, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #87 of 247
I was asked some time back the difference between the Woo 3 and the SM V3. I have listened to both for some time now and while I like to think, believe, that a well designed amplifier either in tube or solid-state should be very similar, these are not.

The Woo has the warmer presentation often associated (though not always true) with tubes. The Woo sounds like a hall with plenty of people sitting around you slightly softening the sound. The SM V3 has a cooler sound with a more analytical approach as if less hall is sound being absorbed by acoustical treatments (chairs, wall coverings, and people). The V3 also sits you back further, say row 15 vs. 7 or 8 for the Woo. The V3 does have the uncanny ability to throw a 3D musical image that tubes are noted for. Is one better than the other? They both are very enjoyable but I must admit the black background to the music that the V3 throws provides a very open spatial musical field. When the 7236 is opted for in the Woo, the Woo takes on a blacker background and slightly deeper and further back presentation to the music. The afore to mentioned observations for the V3 are with the opa627 and most of the Woo listening was done with the 5998, with differences noted when the 7236 was used.

The source used was my home transport and The Elaborate Dac did the conversion.

John

Apr 10, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #88 of 247
John, did you get a chance to try AD8610's and how would you describe the signature of AD8610's in V3?

Apr 10, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #89 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby
Goto and erikzen,

And then there are those of us who haven't the foggiest idea what you're just talking about!!! And we are happy to be blissfully ignorant!!

BillC, good for you! I know you have been eager to hear that your SM is on its way.* Now was that too bad????????

They are talking about 1 of the few updates to the SM V3 from V1;

other changes and correct me if I'm wrong:

-3 channel update? Guys help me on this one. This is the update supposedly sets it apart from the V1

- 4-layer board

-Volume pot update

-default opamp is now 5534

-introduced slight humming in V3 while listening to the V3 while re-charging rechargeable batteries and connected to AC/DC source via supplied COBY AC/DC adapter (which has recently been identified and corrected by Xin)

-$50 base price increase

Where's my V3???

Apr 10, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #90 of 247
I will put them in now and listen.

Hey, these sound different than when in the V1. There is more hall reverb and the 8610 sounds very different from the opa627. The bass is good and solid, there seems to be more of a "jump" factor to the music. The 627 sounding a bit more smooth with the 8610 having a more "excited" sound. I am listening to some Al cohn, "Standards of Excellence", so you might want to take this into consideration. I still like the 3D of the 627 but the 8610 is no slouch and throws a nice wide stage. It is nice to have these options. You can change opamps to suit your own taste, like a tube amp. :^)

** As the 8610 gets some warm up time I am noticing very solid, tight and dynamic bass. The spread of the stage is very wide but with good center fill. **

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back