Superlux HD 681 or HD 668b
Jun 22, 2013 at 10:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

silverensign

New Head-Fier
Hello,
     In a former post I asked for advice in choosing a DAC, Amp, and headset. Now b/c of certain events, I am forced to severely limit my budget. The audio card I have chosen (just because I dont feel like spending 100+ in a sound card) is the ASUS Xonar DSX. To compliment that I was going to get the Sennheiser 558 or 518, but now I cannot afford to spend that much more money, but I defininetly want a better headset than what I have right now (some dinky Walmart stock piece of...). I want a open headset, and I will not be buying an amp at the moment, unless there is a good one that isnt solely run on batteries under $30. So I have chosen to buy the Superlux HD 681 or HD 668b. Yes I know the cups are crap, and that it is semi open, but for right now their price can't be beat. So unless there is a better open headset lying about for less than $50 I have no choice so I need help in choosing between the two. And as a side note, I would not consider my self an audiophile. I do enjoy pristine sound quality, but i am not looking to make anything perfect, just a whole lot better than what I have right now.

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #2 of 4
Might as well get the Asus Xonar DGX, it comes with a headphone amplifier, the DSX does not.
Whichever Superlux you get (681 or 668b), for around $15 you can get geneic OEM Velour ear pads off eBay.
The AKG K240/241/270/271 and the Superluxs (681/668b) use the same size ear pads.
The Samson SR850 (made by Superlux) seems to be well liked.

Aug 6, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #3 of 4
681 if you want something more fun sounding with a wow factor. 668b if you need something more neutral and less colored with smoother highs.

I would highly recommending replacing the pads on both, the stock are horrid.

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #4 of 4
Yeah, I bought the 668b's. Jumping from the $60 walmart turtle beaches to something of this quality was a big step (not to mention I cant stand closed headphones anymore, though I wonder what true open headphones sound like). Yeah the ear pads are a bit disgusting after wearing them for a while, but I don't feel like replacing them for a while. But these headphones sure as beat my friend's $200 razer gaming, real 7.1, closed headset. Like everybody says on here, having 7 drivers is crap compared to 1 good one. The only thing it has on my headset is the bass and a cool box that adjusts the levels of each driver. lol feel bad for him cause he thinks he got great headphones for gaming, and I could hardly distinguish anything, apart from the rumbling of engines and explosions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back