SUPERLUX HD-330 VS HD-668B ! Little Review.
Mar 7, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #17 of 30

I've hard-modded my HD330 for the better, but even then I wouldn't use it for gaming, so I'll just describe the headphone as stock. The HD330's bass reponse is a bit slow -- and I've tested it on five headphone amps -- so certain lower frequency sounds will come in a bit late. For music, that slow response can give a relaxed feel, but applied to gaming I can see it as an issue. But how much of an issue will depend on how competitive the gaming is I suppose. Also, the bass sounds very bloated on certain amps, and I don't need to go into why that might be a bad thing. Oh, and despite what the OP has said, in my experience you will definitely need a headphone amp to drive the HD330s sufficiently. On something like a fiio E7 or uDAC2, which I'd say are small, entry-level amps, the headphone only gets to a good volume at max or near max, and by that point the sound can get strained due to having to reach the volume ceiling. So there's a potential hidden cost with the HD330. The soundstage on the HD330 can get congested if the music gets very busy-sounding, which hits the imaging somewhat. In a gaming context it might mean that if there's a lot going on, you might not be able to pinpoint where the sounds are coming from all that well. Again, maybe this is only a problem if the gaming is competitive.

I suppose with more time with the HD330 now, I'm not inclined to consider it in a conversation about a really great headphone on the cheap, but it's still a nice project for modding purposes. Anyway, this might be beside the point.

One of the draw-ins of the HD668b for me is its fantastic sense of space (soundstage) you get for very little money, so imaging etc., which can be a problem with the HD330 will not be an issue with the HD668b. Also, there won't be any issues about bass bloat, slow bass response either, but on the same coin due to the HD668b wanting to be neutral-sounding, you won't get much impact on the bottom end, and maybe that's a problem for some gaming, but if you have an EQ then that can be sorted to a point. Whilst a headphone amp is always appreciated in my opinion, the HD668b is also fine without one, so if you don't own an amp already then you're still good to go.

Anyway, both headphones in short reveal a really good amount of detail in music for the price, but certain bloating and congestion issues that the HD330 can sometimes go through can get in the way of some of that detail.

Personally, I never think to use the HD330 for games, but I'll sometimes put on the HD668b for casual gaming, although I don't really play a ton of FPS' because I suck at them XD.

But basically I'd take the HD668b all days of the week. Even though I sometimes leave out my HD330 in clear sight of my listening station when there is hip-hop on the horizon, the HD668b certainly gets more time, even though both cans are not my go-to pair. Hope any of that helped, and sorry to anyone who has read my talking about the HD330 in this thread and another similar one, as there must be a lot of repeating going on lol.

Thanks for the great post, It really helps a lot! I've managed to try both headphones and the 668B seems more clearer sounding for me probably due to less bass and more balanced FR than HD330 . I like the 668B in terms of FPS gaming only but for fun in games and music / movies... i'll probably use the HD330. Later down the road, I'll be one of the members here that has more than one pair of headphones. lol

Mar 8, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #19 of 30
I got my hd330's today. These are used and I have no idea if these are burned in or not. So far my initial impressions are negative. There is bass but it sounds kind of lazy. It is definately there with a proper quantity but it lacks firmness and impact. Mids are recessed and only good with some female vocals. Highs are quite nice...those sound real without being over emphasized. Soundstage is very small for a fullsize open headphone. Overall these sound really boring. Actually these sound pretty close to old dt990 that was made befor dt990 pro's. At first it might sound like a compliment but that model is no good by todays standards. Not even if sold for 27 euros.

About the design... I like how beyers are built and these are a nice copy. Pads feel cheap but are quite comfortable for me. I tried beyer velours but those did nothing to improve the sound. There are few flaws that piss me off. First is the cable...it is too short. Another thing  is how the hingest retract back into the headband. There is no proper angle so those just got straight up and poke the headpand padding which is allready weak as it is because of cheap build materials.

I give these couple of days and if there is no significant improvement I will sell these. All in all weird headphones. Sound is meh...and design choices are weird. 150ohms fullsize open headphones with cable too short for home use...way to go superlux!

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #20 of 30
I share your opinion on the coiled cable - it is cumbersome and weird. But in all fairness, the choice was most likely made with the pro market in mind.

In terms of sound I think you hit some pretty important points there.
Compared to more upscale headphones the HD-330 sound indeed quite unimpressive. Even against their own siblings, HD668B in particular, the sound lacks speed and resolution, resulting in a rather flat presentation. 
With that being said, they're not a bad headphone either. In terms of comfort out of the box it's still one of the best from Superlux. And at their price point all headphones have their own trade-offs.

Regarding burn in
I my experience all Superluxes are rather bass shy and compressed sounding at the beginning. Some more than others.
With that in mind, I'd give them at least 100 hours of burn in before a final listen.

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #21 of 30
Im bit impatient when it comes to burn in so I allready started trying to make these sound better. I was surprised that velours didn't make these better, atleast not enough to make a difference. Luckily I have some old beyerdynamic pads that are not velour but some sort of cloth. Pads are very thin, propably because these have countless amount of use so the foam inside has gone flat. The thinnes of the pads propably is the key to greatly improved sound. Now these headphones came to life. Clarity improved drastically and mids are definately not recessed. Anyone who enjoys hd330 sound should not try the pads I'm using because these now sound nothing like original hd330 :)

Mar 8, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #23 of 30
I doubt I could get a good enough picture with my phone, so here is one I found online. These are black and otherwise identical to beyerdynamic pads. These also have the plastic with holes underneath like beyer velours have. I guess cheapest and propably only way to get these is hunting used old beyerdynamic and mb-quart headphones. Propably german maestro has these also. Pair I'm using is from mb-quart 220 but my old dt990 had identical pads.

Mar 8, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #24 of 30
How much thinner do you reckon they are, compared to stock pads?

From what I understand that is the main difference. And the sound change is due to the closer proximity of the drivers to the ear.
Did I get that right?

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #25 of 30
Not much thinner...maybe 2mm. Difference comes from how these react to clamping. Mb quart pads get squashed extremely thin and superlux pads are stiff and keep their form. Closer proximity to the driver made these sound more aggressive lifting the veil over the presentation. Quite gradoish now if you will... Way music is played is really effortless. Nothing is holding music back.. Originally  It sounded like music was close to breaking through the wall but fell short. Now there is less bass so some people might not like this but I take mids with clarity over bass amount :) I'm still not perfectly happy how these sound but atleast now I like listening to these.

EDIT: If hd330 improves alot with extended burn in it might be partly because the pads get softer. Usually it doesn't matter that much but these obviously are one of those headphones that are very picky about the distance between ear and driver.

Apr 15, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #28 of 30
  Not much thinner...maybe 2mm. Difference comes from how these react to clamping. Mb quart pads get squashed extremely thin and superlux pads are stiff and keep their form. Closer proximity to the driver made these sound more aggressive lifting the veil over the presentation. Quite gradoish now if you will... Way music is played is really effortless. Nothing is holding music back.. Originally  It sounded like music was close to breaking through the wall but fell short. Now there is less bass so some people might not like this but I take mids with clarity over bass amount :) I'm still not perfectly happy how these sound but atleast now I like listening to these.

EDIT: If hd330 improves alot with extended burn in it might be partly because the pads get softer. Usually it doesn't matter that much but these obviously are one of those headphones that are very picky about the distance between ear and driver.

Hi, How are they going for you now? Have they Burned in more?

Dec 7, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #29 of 30
Just picked up this superlux from ebay, and the semi-open one as well (too cheap!) , will post review when arrived. But at the moment, on my only working set of cans, akg k612 pros (got tired of soldering k141's!), if they are even close, well then a steal! Edit bought hd681 for NOK 199, and the HD 330 for 302 NOK, free shipping. Guess that works out to for the hd 681 about 24 usd, and for the hd330, about 37 usd. So not complaining! As long as they're not complete crap of course! Used to listening to akg's here. Heading down to aus from Norway, and you pretty much can't buy akg's for love or money, or you pay stupid prices..even the superlux cans I ebayed gonna put you back at least 100 usd..because aussies like getting bent over the bonnet! Man I don't know! But nice xmas present anyway! Just want to try a closed-back superlux a la beyerdynamic...

Dec 7, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #30 of 30
Uhhmm just some research..bit late, picked them up but...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back