Superfi 5 pro...I said i wouldn't but my word they deliver!
Jul 30, 2008 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Beyerfan70

100+ Head-Fier
Well just a few days ago i said i wouldn't bother with anymore in ear phones as i was completely happy with my marsmallows,sort of happy with superfi 3 and just about happy with E210.
But because it's my hobby and because i love sound i got the urge to try these.
So they arrived this morning and i was listening to my 3 studio at the time,so i thought great time to do a comparison.
Oh boy these 5 pro's are perfect for rock!
What a sweet sound indeed!
David Bowie,Rush,Status Quo,Sabbath,Ozzy,Maiden.....The list goes on.
Everything was delivered in kind of a forward but dry way,very clear with a definitive rock curve to it all.
Absolutely no need to equalise,which i had to do with the 3 studio's and the E210's to get the sound i wanted.
Even when i compared them to the marshmallows they blew them away too...no mean feat considering i adore the jvc's!
Drums,high hats and cymbals really crash with power which i adore,the bass rumbles away with an outstanding freshness about it,guitars are incredibly crunchy,and the vocals are so dry and throaty it really makes for an incredible experience.
So happy with these,very very nearly as good as my dt231 galactic,in fact maybe slightly better as they are so up front and in your face.
Wonderful,its sound like this that makes me proud to be a music lover and head fi'er!
I'm 200% happy!

Jul 30, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 6
Yup - SFP's are high on my list of options for someone entering the audiophile category (from earbuds). They do just about everything fairly well. Big bass, big soundstage, detailed.

However DO NOT listen to any triple driver IEM's as you may want to upgrade. As good as SFP sounds, once you listen to TF Pro or SE530, you have jumped to a whole new level of audio bliss.

Jul 30, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However DO NOT listen to any triple driver IEM's as you may want to upgrade. As good as SFP sounds, once you listen to TF Pro or SE530, you have jumped to a whole new level of audio bliss.

Same with the ER-4P and the UM2. I got those two while my SF5Ps were out for repair/replacement, and when they came back I couldn't listen to them anymore, they were so surpassed by the other two.

Jul 30, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyerfan70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh boy these 5 pro's are perfect for rock!
What a sweet sound indeed!
David Bowie,Rush,Status Quo,Sabbath,Ozzy,Maiden.....The list goes on.

Tell you what is bizarre....

I am new to 5 pros in the past few weeks. I don't enjoy rock and indie on that much - but I do find them superb for electronica. I think they sound harsh* to me on guitar stuff, but the I love the detail and tightness on really intricate electronica.

* I have been getting "used" to it though, coming from CX300s which probably hid a lot of the detail here.

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 6
Might want to check out the Super.Fi 5s, not Pro, but a new modern design. There's a thread here on this forum (Portable phones), and the reviewer (EdWood) rates them pretty highly, and they are only $169.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back