Superbowl!
Feb 8, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only caught the halftime show. Cool stage for the Who. Very clever. They performance I suppose was pretty good for such oldtimers (hey I'm one too, but they're really oldtimers.) Rogers voice isnt bad, sounds strong but not much range. Pete can still flail, but I playing was that great. Age is depressing.

I appreciate the vulnerability in this post. Thanks.

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Results aside.. it was a pretty mediocre match I thought.. very safe play from both teams.

Man, what game did you watch? If you mentioned the Colts, fine. They have been a conservative team for years. They like they're talent and play the odds. The Saints however brought it. Brees put on a clinic the second half, or even more the New Orleans' line did. Their QB could knit a quilt in the pocket.

From the other side, I didn't like New Orleans' six man fronts, and thought the Colts did good job running against it. But like many bend, wait for a big play D's. The Saint's made a break for themselves in the end.

It was a good game that was played cleanly. Not the greatest Super bowl, but no way would I approach it apathetically.

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #19 of 33
I lost interest after the refs did nothing about the fighting in the scrum after the kickoff to the second half. That was embarassing.. talk about refs losing control of the game. I think the NFL should go back.. look at that footage and start dishing out some hefty fines for that debacle. Shameful. Overall.. it was a very conservatively played game by both sides.. not one.. wow! moment in the game. (unless you count the 2 point call.. )

The play in the superbowl seems to be getting progressively less risky every year.. too much at stake now perhaps. It reminds me of the FA Cup from a couple years ago.. My team won, but man it was a tedious game.. It was almost embarassing to be called champions after it.

I guess I'm just harder to please than some. No big deal. Hockey season is still on
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #21 of 33
I caught some of halftime while out eating before I went to the superbowl avoidance party and watched Star Trek III in a lecture hall. Time much better spent I might say.

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Ponys had no chance. I knew it, I called it all the way.
wink.gif

No bias?
biggrin.gif
I picked the Vikings and the Colts, so "NOLA" has given me the middle finger two games in a row. In all fairness, I did say take the Saints against the spread, there's that...I guess.

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #24 of 33
WHO DAT!!!

Great game. I think people tend to underestimate the benefit of 2 weeks to prepare for a game vs. 1 week. Something happens in that extra time that gives the defense a huge advantage when it comes to football. You see it a lot in college football for the first quarter or half of national championships, until the better coached team figures out the defense schemes (if they ever do). Hence, the saying: Defense wins championships. Saints had the better defense, better schemes in my opinion, and I had no doubt the saints were gonna win. The only thing i didn't honestly know was by how much. Freeney being injured really hurt the Colts' chances of putting up a fight.

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by spideyman409 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Freeney being injured really hurt the Colts' chances of putting up a fight.

Good points you have made. For the above I thought the same, yet it may be the time to just say the Saints' O-line is awesome. In the NFCCG they also bottled Minnesota's, D-front, which I at least thought was collectively twice the worth of the Colts. Also, it must be noted the Saints have been missing their starting left tackle and pro-bowler Jammal Brown all season.

My sticking point before the game, was what Ware did to the Saints late in the season. In hindsight, it may have been more about how Dallas moved him around in their 3 - 4.

Feb 8, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #26 of 33
The Saints offense was just so damn consistent. Brees threw with astonishing accuracy, if not distance, tying that completion record. The onside kick was a pleasant surprise and shifted the game from a conservative match on both sides to the Saints kicking ass through the rest of the game. Their momentum made them unstoppable in the second half. Both defensive lines made way too many mistakes, with people getting past 4-5 guys several times.

Feb 8, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #27 of 33
That late pick 6 is how I fantasized the game would conclude.

Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No bias?
biggrin.gif
I picked the Vikings and the Colts, so "NOLA" has given me the middle finger two games in a row. In all fairness, I did say take the Saints against the spread, there's that...I guess.

Me? no way.

Feb 8, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #28 of 33
I used to think I was kinda geeky, but after reading this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I went to the superbowl avoidance party and watched Star Trek III in a lecture hall. Time much better spent I might say.

I yield to the master.
atsmile.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #29 of 33
Caldwell needs to take a lesson away from this season. Take a chance. Holding the team back from the undefeated shot took their momentum. Nothing to take away what the Saints did. They earned their prize.

As a Colt fan, I felt despair two plays before the interception. Manning always has been good for one int. You hope it don't come at a critical time but it did.

Congratulations Saints and Saints fans. Great story, great season ending.

Drew has vindicated his place with the greats in the history of the game.

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Results aside.. it was a pretty mediocre match I thought.. very safe play from both teams. Here's hoping for a better game next year.

Did we watch the same game?

Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, what game did you watch? If you mentioned the Colts, fine. They have been a conservative team for years. They like they're talent and play the odds. The Saints however brought it. Brees put on a clinic the second half, or even more the New Orleans' line did. Their QB could knit a quilt in the pocket.

From the other side, I didn't like New Orleans' six man fronts, and thought the Colts did good job running against it. But like many bend, wait for a big play D's. The Saint's made a break for themselves in the end.

It was a good game that was played cleanly. Not the greatest Super bowl, but no way would I approach it apathetically.

The game wasn't the shootout that was widely anticipated, but the game was well played overall. Not too many penalties, and the officials stayed out of it for the most part. (I liked the challenge from the Saints that got them the 2 point conversion.)

The on sides kick to start the second half was amazing. Sean Payton has the guts of a burglar. The end of the first half was pretty gutsy, too. Going for the TD, and running the ball on every play, ran the clock down enough to keep Manning off the field, and kept the Colts deep. The Saints eventually turned that into a FG, but that's another call no other coach would make. (Bill Belichick, perhaps?) No way do you want Manning to pull off one of his patented end-of-the-half TD drives just before the half.

The Manning INT to close out the game just points up the fact that Peyton Manning is 9-9 in playoff games. The Colts are turning into the Atlanta Braves of football - lots of games won, and they always contend for their division, but don't have a lot to show for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back