Super.fi eb, sennheiser ie6, or atrio m5
Oct 10, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 8
Ok thanks. Instead of starting a new thread i'd figure i'd ask a few questions in this one while i search around. I have never owned a pair of earbuds/canalphones that were more than $50, and am looking for an upgrade. I listen to hip hop, reggae, and john mayer/jack johnson type music.  At first i was going to order the Shure SCL4's but many reviews say that they wouldn't be the best choice if you listened to alot of hip hop with their lack of bass, even with a proper seal. I'm looking to spend under $300, cheaper is better. I listen to music very often although i am no audiophile, so I shouldn't be spending unnecessary amounts of money for a small difference.
I've found many contrasting reviews and figured that i could get a straight forward answer here. Thanks for the help, let me know if there's anything i could add to narrow down my choices.  For the record, i've been looking around for days and have had no luck
frown.gif

Oct 10, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Ok thanks. Instead of starting a new thread i'd figure i'd ask a few questions in this one while i search around. I have never owned a pair of earbuds/canalphones that were more than $50, and am looking for an upgrade. I listen to hip hop, reggae, and john mayer/jack johnson type music.  At first i was going to order the Shure SCL4's but many reviews say that they wouldn't be the best choice if you listened to alot of hip hop with their lack of bass, even with a proper seal. I'm looking to spend under $300, cheaper is better. I listen to music very often although i am no audiophile, so I shouldn't be spending unnecessary amounts of money for a small difference.
I've found many contrasting reviews and figured that i could get a straight forward answer here. Thanks for the help, let me know if there's anything i could add to narrow down my choices.  For the record, i've been looking around for days and have had no luck
frown.gif

In terms of bass response, the Shure SCL4 has a very tight bass response and it is accurate, but most of the time can't respond as well as a dynamic driver IEM for hip-hop music (I still have the Shure SCL4 and think it's an excellent IEM, but might not be the right IEM for everyone). Some IEMs you could look into include: Sennheiser IE6/IE7/IE8 (try to buy new because there are many fakes of these, ranges from >$120 to >$300), Panasonic HJE900 (>$120), Radius HP-TWF11R (known as the Radius DDM, >$200).

These are all dynamic driver IEMs that I am recommending for you. The Shures use balanced armature transducers (BA's), which typically have better clarity but more difficulty reproducing bass, unless you have two or three BA's working together (such as for the Shure SE425 and Shure SE535); of course these cost more, but I think you will be fine starting out with some IEMs under $150 so you can appreciate the differences as you move up. And honestly, there are a lot of IEMs under $150 today that are very competitive sound-quality wise with the more expensive IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back