Super .fi 5 questions
Aug 30, 2007 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

The5ickne55

100+ Head-Fier
I bought them a few weeks ago and have a few quesitons about them.

I was told they should sound similar to hd280's and I use 280's as my main listening device, they don't sound near as good as them. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, is there a way to get rid of all the tangling at the end (where it plugs into the audio device) ?

I am new to IEMS and don't really know whats up <_<

Aug 30, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 9
I'm not sure how the 280's sound but, good is relative. To get the best sound out of IEMs first, make sure you have a good seal. This means trying all the different tips that came with your cans and experimenting with different ways to place them in your ears. I like to smoosh up the foam tips and stick them into my ear. Keep messing with them. You’ll know they’re in right because the bass will jump up in quality.

Aug 31, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by The5ickne55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have crammed all of the tips far into my ears... is there a tip with this stuff ? lol

Read a thread in here about using the Shure olives to get the best seal.you will need a pair of needlenose pliers to expand the white tube till you can stuff the tip in. do note that removing the bud would destory it as it is so tight. so you might not want to remove it until each set of buds is going bad.

Sep 2, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #7 of 9
try foamies?

Sep 2, 2007 at 10:46 AM Post #8 of 9
As a former lover and preacher of IEMs (especially the Super.Fi 5 pro and Triple.Fi 10 pro), I might be able to help here. IEMs are great for what they are... in some cases (such as custom UE) they are super accurate monitors with excellent separation. They do have excellent bass, lush midrange, and sparkling highs. However, IEMs don't have the impact, punch, and fullness of a full-size headphone -- they sound a lot thinner even though they can demonstrate the full audible frequency range accurately. IEMs are great for when you're on-the-move and you want the best sound possible. But if you have a good setup at home (amp, source, DAC, cables) then full-size can't be beat.

To give you a real world example of this, next time you get a chance listen to a bass drum kick up close. Listen to a cello up close as well. Then listen to those same sounds on both a high-end IEM and a high-end pair of full-size headphones. You'll hear the difference.

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #9 of 9
I also recently picked up a pair of Super.Fi 5's (the basic one, not Pro or EB). I upgraded from a Metro.Fi 200v and first impressions were the new Super.Fi lacking A LOT of bass in the low end. I've been using consistently for around 3 days now and was wondering if that's enough time for it to burn in. Do you guys think I should give it more time to burn in (and hopefully, the bass will increase) or will this be the best that it'll get? If this is the best it can do, then I'm afraid I might have to return it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back