Super.fi 5 pro - please help
Nov 21, 2006 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

osoucy

Head-Fier
I received some super.fi 5 pro in the mail today.

I currently have a really big problem with them. When they are plugged in, there is a totally unacceptable level of white noise. This happen with both my iPod and my computer. Did anyone ever experienced this problem? It must be a defect, right?

Note that when I use the level attenuator, I don't have this problem anymore. Also, the super.fi are incredibly loud without the attenuator.

Nov 21, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A low gain amp should fix your problem.

Well... it might fix the problem, but is it something normal? Does everybody that uses super.fi 5 pro with ipods need a low gain amp??

Nov 21, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by osoucy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well... it might fix the problem, but is it something normal? Does everybody that uses super.fi 5 pro with ipods need a low gain amp??

I hear white noise on mine with the 5 Pros...but then again, I hear them on my E500s too. Eitherway its pretty noticable, but not what I would call unacceptable.

Nov 21, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #6 of 34
The super.fi 5 pro are very low impedance, so some noise should be expected. I had this problem with the super.fi and my 4G iPod. It's not a defect, unless it's so loud that it bothers you even when music is playing. If it's that bad, it might be a defect.

Nov 21, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #7 of 34
I previously used ety ER6i which have lower impedance and never had such problem. It bothers me when I listen to music. It's really loud and so is the sound. At the lowest volume setting, it is as loud as with my etys at the volume set up to 1/3 of the max.

Nov 21, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #8 of 34
The super.fi 5 Pros are indeed quite sensitive (i.e. prone to picking up a headphone amp's noise floor), which can make them pretty player-specific. Plugged into my Rio Carbon, for example, I can only detect a slight ticking sound when the backlight powers on and off. With my iRiver H120, however, the constant hiss is practically overbearing. It's quite possible, unfortunately, that the headphone amp built into your 4G iPod simply outputs too much noise and your super.fi 5 Pros are completely normal. If you're willing/able to make an exchange to test this, it might be worth it...but I wouldn't be shocked if the results are the same.

Nov 21, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #9 of 34
The white noise is caused either by a high gain device or by a high Signal/Noise Ratio one.

Since the Superfis are incredibly efficient I was experiencing the white noise with my Iriver IFP799 which is pretty powerful: 18 mw per channel compared to most discmans which are only 5 mw per channel.

Get a Cowon Iaudio G3 which is 13mw per channel with
95 DB SIGNAL NOISE RATIO which is better than MOST devices out there which are 90DB = less noise. I get absolutely NO white noise at all. I can even listen to vocal based music with no other instrument than acoustic guitar and there is a BLACK background. It is available in 1GB and 2 GB, it sounds terrific, also has a great custom 5 channel EQ, BBE et....

Nov 21, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #10 of 34
What you're experiencing sounds like a defect to me.
I'm a Super.Fi 5 pro fan, and I've never had anything like what you're experiencing -- and this is my 2nd pair (first ones cracked).
If it's a high level of white noise, like you say, equivalent to a 1/3 of the total volume, then you definately have a defect somewhere -- either in your source or the headphones. Send them back -- UE is great about that stuff. They will help you out 100% and send you a new pair.

Nov 21, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you're experiencing sounds like a defect to me.
I'm a Super.Fi 5 pro fan, and I've never had anything like what you're experiencing -- and this is my 2nd pair (first ones cracked).
If it's a high level of white noise, like you say, equivalent to a 1/3 of the total volume, then you definately have a defect somewhere -- either in your source or the headphones. Send them back -- UE is great about that stuff. They will help you out 100% and send you a new pair.

I highly doubt it's my source. I never had this problem with any other headphone using my G5 iPod (senn HD 595, bang A8, ety ER6i). Note that the ER6i have lower impedance than the super.fi...

Nov 21, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #12 of 34
I had a problem like this before with my cd3k (super sensitive, low impedance phones)

Most likely, you are just very sensitive to what a lot of people seem to consider as an acceptable noise floor.

Your only hope is to move to a less sensitive iem, use the attenuator, or use "better" sources.

Nov 21, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #13 of 34
Like I said, I previously used more sensitive IEM (ER6i) and never had such problems.

The white noise is very loud. You don't need to be and head-fier or audiophile to be bother by it. I guess any cheap ibud user would be annoyed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raif /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a problem like this before with my cd3k (super sensitive, low impedance phones)

Most likely, you are just very sensitive to what a lot of people seem to consider as an acceptable noise floor.

Your only hope is to move to a less sensitive iem, use the attenuator, or use "better" sources.

Nov 21, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #14 of 34
The E6is have 48 ohm (impedance), the Superfis, only 21 ohm. In addition to this, the sensitivity on the E6i is way lower (97DB) compared to the Superfis (119B). This explains why the noise floor is not always an issue with the Etys with powerful and or noisy sources.

Nov 21, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by osoucy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like I said, I previously used more sensitive IEM (ER6i) and never had such problems.

The white noise is very loud. You don't need to be and head-fier or audiophile to be bother by it. I guess any cheap ibud user would be annoyed.

Well, you seem to be answering your own questions here, so why ask? If you know the answer, which I agree with you based on what you have said, then just return the pair. UE will be more than happy to accomodate you with a new set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back