Super Fi 5 pro has weak bass. Anyone?
Jul 17, 2008 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

michaelv20850

Head-Fier
Hi,
I got Super Fi 5 Pro . I think its bass is weak, even weaker than the Ipod earbud that comes with Ipod Classic. I even push it deep into ear canal, but bass does not improve much.

I probably don't put it in correctlY?

thanks.

Jul 17, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #4 of 29
Definitely try some of the other tip sizes. Your results will vary with each size.

When I'm in the mood for more bass out of the super.fi I often switch to the soft Shure E2 tips (very dark gray colored ones).

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 29
I've tried them all and none of them give me better bass...except when i push real hard into my ear . Besides, the silicon ear tips are uncomfortable. So, i've just ordered a few pairs of Complys foam tip ....will see

thanks.

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael415 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most definitely something is amiss. Try different tips esp. the foamies. Sounds like your having an issue gettng a seal or a bum pair of iems out of the box.

Yeah...It's not brand new, but rarely used. I don't think it's even break-in yet

Do i expect better bass after break-in time?

thanks.

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #7 of 29
Do you have small ear canals, medium or large ear canals? I strongly suspect the problem is that you don't have a tight seal in the ear canal.

The Super.fi 5 Pro that I sent you have the medium Complys foam tips and probably have less than 5-10 hours of music played on them. You have to roll the foam tip between your fingers to compress it, then shove them into your ears, then wait for the foam to expand. When you get a good seal there is definitly no lack of bass. If the foam tips are too big, you wont get the tips in deep enough and you get a poor seal. If the foam tips are too small, even after they expand the seal is poor. So, make sure you get the right tips. The only silicone tips that ever seem to seal for me are bi-flange and triple-flange tips, but I don't like the comfort.

My first pair of Super.fi 5 Pro took less than 15 hours to break in, but these definitely had bass at the time I shipped them. Please let me know how this works out for you.

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #8 of 29
Does it not depend on what you are coming from? I would still like more bass from my 5 Pros which I have went to from CX300s - used less than a week so far so just getting used to them.

Although coming from iBuds I would have thought pretty much any IEM would be able to produce more bass with the pressure inside a sealed canal.

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelv20850 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried them all and none of them give me better bass...except when i push real hard into my ear.

Try pulling the top of your ear up and out, and then while holding it, put the earpiece in, twist it around till it's 'in' - and then let go of your ear. I find it really easy to get a good seal that way.

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #11 of 29
I have medium ear canal, i think . I've tried again this morning with dual flange ear tips. It is better now...good bass. Now i know it's the seal problem
smily_headphones1.gif
I will keep this while waiting for Comply foam tips

One thing i like UE right away is that it's very detail, especially listing to acoustic guitar music. Oh yeah, listening music through Go-vibe Petite+DAC connected to my PC is great.

All,
Thanks for all comments and suggestions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have small ear canals, medium or large ear canals? I strongly suspect the problem is that you don't have a tight seal in the ear canal.

The Super.fi 5 Pro that I sent you have the medium Complys foam tips and probably have less than 5-10 hours of music played on them. You have to roll the foam tip between your fingers to compress it, then shove them into your ears, then wait for the foam to expand. When you get a good seal there is definitly no lack of bass. If the foam tips are too big, you wont get the tips in deep enough and you get a poor seal. If the foam tips are too small, even after they expand the seal is poor. So, make sure you get the right tips. The only silicone tips that ever seem to seal for me are bi-flange and triple-flange tips, but I don't like the comfort.

My first pair of Super.fi 5 Pro took less than 15 hours to break in, but these definitely had bass at the time I shipped them. Please let me know how this works out for you.

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #12 of 29
I don't know about that...next to my Atrio's and SA6's, the SF5P's lower-bass capabilities sound pretty weak and lacking. Lots of mid-bass, if that's what the TC likes.

Jul 17, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #13 of 29
michael, when I had a low bass problem with my Triple Fi's I googled this test and tried it out

Sensaphonics / Seal Test

It helped me to adjust the seal till I knew I had a good one because initially I could not hear the low bass at all, then with the right tips I could hear it clearly.

Hope this helps you too!

Jul 17, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #14 of 29
If after shoving foamies you start to feel uncomfortable then you have achieved a perfect seal.

Jul 18, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by western120 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If after shoving foamies you start to feel uncomfortable then you have achieved a perfect seal.

x2 It's a tolerace issue rather a comfort issue (for me at least.)
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back