Super.Fi 5 EB OMG The Bass!!!!!!!!!
Oct 26, 2005 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 119

Jasper994

Organizer for Can Jam '09
So I was just sitting around playing various things over the UE-10s and I came upon a track I haven't heard in a while in my music library. Some of you may remember it, Freak Nasty - Da Dip... Anyway, I was like, wow, that's a lot of bass! I had a sudden urge to try this song with the Super.Fi 5 EBs...
eek.gif
basshead.gif
OMG! THE BASS!!!!
basshead.gif
blink.gif

Anyway, if you can manage to put the two together (the song and the 5 EB) definately give it a listen!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Incedentally, my opinion of the EB has changed over time. I still think they're very bass heavy to the point of coloration, but the bass no longer seems to completely drown out everything else. If you're a basshead, these are a must have. Let them burn in though, they get a lot better than when they're fresh out of the box.

Oct 26, 2005 at 7:29 AM Post #4 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Curious.... does it extend as deep as its is bloated? Or is it more in the upper freq's?

Garrett

The bass goes deep, very deep. I just played a boston acoustics bass test track over them and they go down in to the stuff I can only feel...
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2005 at 7:55 AM Post #5 of 119
...a couple more tracks:

Missy Elliot - Get Your Freak On
Infected Mushroom - Psycho
Hans Zimmer - The Battle (Not the best I've heard this track sound, but it gives it a lot more presense and makes it FUN!)
Christina Aguilera - Can't Hold Us Down
Madonna - Holiday (again, not the best I've heard it, but it definately got me dancing in my chair...)
The Cure - Fascination Street (Those of you who have been on this board for a while might remember me complaining about the poor quality of this recording (off the Galore album). The 5 EB makes this song enjoyable again. I haven't enjoyed it this much since the last time I heard it played in a club. This is the best I've ever heard this recording sound).

...if you can't tell already, I'm having a lot of fun playing with these things...
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2005 at 8:35 AM Post #6 of 119
Try this:

Vector 13 - Isis (Original mix)

That song made de high peak listening experience in my old E3c.

Oct 26, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #7 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
...a couple more tracks:

Missy Elliot - Get Your Freak On
Infected Mushroom - Psycho

...if you can't tell already, I'm having a lot of fun playing with these things...
tongue.gif

Stop! Stop! Please
eek.gif
I really don't want to buy another pair of Phones
basshead.gif

Not again
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oh my...poor wallet
icon10.gif

Oct 26, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
So I was just sitting around playing various things over the UE-10s and I came upon a track I haven't heard in a while in my music library. Some of you may remember it, Freak Nasty - Da Dip... Anyway, I was like, wow, that's a lot of bass! I had a sudden urge to try this song with the Super.Fi 5 EBs...
eek.gif
basshead.gif
OMG! THE BASS!!!!
basshead.gif
blink.gif

Anyway, if you can manage to put the two together (the song and the 5 EB) definately give it a listen!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Incedentally, my opinion of the EB has changed over time. I still think they're very bass heavy to the point of coloration, but the bass no longer seems to completely drown out everything else. If you're a basshead, these are a must have. Let them burn in though, they get a lot better than when they're fresh out of the box.

Jasper994,
I was hoping to read your review on the UE-10’s and here you are talking about the 5EB :), don’t tell me you use those more than the UE-10??

When are you going to post your opinions on the UE-10?

I would really like to know your views after using the Shure E5C and other high end IEM’s and moving up to the UE-10, was it worth the upgrade and if yes, please elaborate.

Oct 26, 2005 at 2:48 PM Post #9 of 119
I'll add another song to check out for the bass. Plus this one isn't bad to check out how clear they are in the low end as well as how low they go.

Angel- Massive Attack

Oct 26, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #11 of 119
I'm glad I'm finally not the only one who likes the Super.fi 5EB's. But I must admit that I really do like bass more than anything else, but the 5EB's do a better job with the mids/highs than anything else I've heard anyways.

I listened to the Da Dip and that A Perfect Circle track you suggested, and they both are VERY bassy. The track by A Perfect Circle you suggest is probably the bassiest Rock track I have, in fact all of the A Perfect Circle songs I have are pretty bassy now that I listen to them.

One of my favorite bass tracks is:

Mos Def ft. Massive Attack - I Against I

Another one I like (which happens to be the first song on my iPod) is:

2Pac - Ambitionz Az a Ridah

Some other good ones:

50 Cent - Just a Lil Bit
50 Cent - Candy Shop
The Game - How We Do
Ali - Boughetto
Ying Yang Twins - Wait
Black Eyed Peas - My Humps

The first song my roommate listened to on my 5EB's was Candy Shop, and he had the volume way above safe listening levels, and he said he could actually feel the bass in his eyes! I tried it, and with the volume quite high you can acutally feel the bass in your eyes!

Also on this list should be pretty much anything produced by Lil Jon (that includes some Ying Yang Twins and some Usher). Fabolous, Ja Rule, and St. Lunatics also have overall bassy CD's.

Oct 26, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #12 of 119
to add some haterade to the thread, my super.fi 5eb took exactly 5 minutes to put in, listen to, and sell. There is absolutely no clarity in the mids or highs, and I've heard better treble extension from a boombox.

Oct 27, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #13 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by imz14u2nv
Jasper994,
I was hoping to read your review on the UE-10’s and here you are talking about the 5EB :), don’t tell me you use those more than the UE-10??

When are you going to post your opinions on the UE-10?

I would really like to know your views after using the Shure E5C and other high end IEM’s and moving up to the UE-10, was it worth the upgrade and if yes, please elaborate.

It's coming...
biggrin.gif
...and no I don't use the 5 EB more than the UE-10.
biggrin.gif

The UE-10 has taken over as my primary head/earphone. They sound excellent with just about anything but AMAZING with jazz, blues, other vocal heavy music, and classical.
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2005 at 6:59 AM Post #14 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by EricP
to add some haterade to the thread, my super.fi 5eb took exactly 5 minutes to put in, listen to, and sell. There is absolutely no clarity in the mids or highs, and I've heard better treble extension from a boombox.

That was pretty much my initial opinion of them. They got A LOT better with some serious burn in. Initially the bass covered over everything. The treble and mids were non-existant. Now the bass is heavy but the mids and treble regions are clear and enjoyable. These aren't what I'd call "audiophile" but they're certainly a lot of fun.
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #15 of 119
What are you using the EB's with? Are they amped or eq'ed at all? I was wondering how they'd sound with the 6-band EQ on my minidisc player... I might be able to brighten them up a bit, or take the mid-bass down a smidge...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back