super-fi.4!?
Nov 28, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #31 of 98
Since the cat's out of the bag, I'll post my impressions.

I've had the non iPhone compatible one for a couple of weeks now.

Materials and Finish:
Ear tips. Not as soft as old tips. Not as comfortable to wear for long periods of time. The stem has a flange to hold onto the silicone tips better. The Super.Fi 4 doesn't work with other older Super.Fi tips, not unless you like accidentally shoving hard metal into your inner ear canal. Also, no foamies (at least not so far). So unfortunately, comfort is a step backwards here. While not as uncomfortable as the ear raping hard Shure silicone tips, the Super.Fi 4's offers nothing better to the Shure's incredible "black olive" foamies.

The cord is also prone to transmitting pops and crackle noises from static electricity when touching the cord. The cord is very very thin. While not confidence inducing, it also does not tangle too horribly, not at least as much as the original super thin Super.Fi cables. But with thinness you get much lighter weight. But it would've been nice if the cable had been shielded better.

Now the real kicker, the new Metal Body. It is most likely made from aluminum. Definitely not stainless steel.
Metal body is sturdy; conveys quality and strength. Makes even my much more expensive (and better sounding) Triple.Fi look and feel cheap by comparison. There is just something about picking up that cold metal. Hold it in your hands and you will know what I am talking about.

I think the new Industrial Design is a step in the right direction, but could use some better styling.

SOUND QUALITY

Detail: Moderate. Treble detail is a bit lacking, but up to par with it's price point.

Soundstage: Large, deep, and wide.

Imaging: A little unfocused, instrument separation could be better, but up to par with it's price point.

Frequency Response:

Treble - smooth, lacking a little in the upper high end "sparkle", but that high end can be too much for some people that do not like "Bright" sounds. But Treble freaks may not like it.

Mid Range - Slightly warm, and overall pretty good. Doesn't really stand out though.

Bass - flat and decent extension. Not quite subwoofer low, but at least it does not distort a lot. Mid bass is not too honky, and surprisingly clear for a single driver IEM.

PRAT (Pace, Rhythm, and Timing)

The widow maker of most single driver IEM's.
Somewhat slow, especially compared to higher end IEM's. Especially at the extremes of the frequency spectrum. But again, you'd have to spend 2-3x the money to get a significant improvement.

You know the funny thing is that the biggest stand out difference in this new UE Product is the "Zippo" Style carrying case. It's so convenient and small. It's no surprise that a company that caters to rock stars would come up with such a clever innovation here. Makes me want to hold up a lighter in tribute.

Now for higher end products in the future, I would like a metal version of that "Zippo" Style case for the Triple.Fi's successor.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Ed

Nov 28, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #32 of 98
would you say its a significant upgrade to the super fi 3s? And would you say it works well with rock genres? I found it interesting how you said it had a wide sound stage, this isn't typical of super fi is it? Thanks for the review.

Nov 28, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #33 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would you say its a significant upgrade to the super fi 3s? And would you say it works well with rock genres? I found it interesting how you said it had a wide sound stage, this isn't typical of super fi is it? Thanks for the review.

Yeah, the soundstage is significantly deeper than the other Super.Fi's. Surprisingly more "Shure-like" than the usual UE "house" sound signature.

I'll have to invite Jasper994 over to compare, since he has a more recent Super.Fi 3.

-Ed

Nov 28, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #34 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think they look very cheap compared to the SF5P. I prefer the "geeky" look of the Pros compared to the generic eBay chinese fake earphone of these. The important thing is how they sound though...

When you hold them in your hands and see them in person, it's a different story.

Like I said, the feel of cold metal just oozes quality vs. the creaky plastic of others.

Nov 28, 2007 at 7:51 AM Post #35 of 98
Yes, I like the new case a lot more than old one.
It's smaller and easy to carry.

They have very clear high. I feel cleaness and crispy when I listen to them.
I like the snare description a lot.
But I agree with Edwood that treble freak will not like it.

Doesn't have extend boomy bass. But just enough to enjoy low freq.

So my impression is this is IEM with balanced sound.
Nothing really stands out.

The new way to put them on and new case are good changes.
But its microphobic is increased due to new way to wear em.

And it looks very cheap in picture, but when you hold it you can feel its weight and true beauty.

Oh ye, and I have SF3 and SF5 as well.
SF4 has more wide sound compared to SF3 IMHO.
It could mean it has better sound stage and sound separation.
Still comparing, so it can be changed.

Nov 28, 2007 at 9:54 AM Post #36 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the cat's out of the bag, I'll post my impressions.

I've had the non iPhone compatible one for a couple of weeks now.

Materials and Finish:
Ear tips. Not as soft as old tips. Not as comfortable to wear for long periods of time. The stem has a flange to hold onto the silicone tips better. The Super.Fi 4 doesn't work with other older Super.Fi tips, not unless you like accidentally shoving hard metal into your inner ear canal. Also, no foamies (at least not so far). So unfortunately, comfort is a step backwards here. While not as uncomfortable as the ear raping hard Shure silicone tips, the Super.Fi 4's offers nothing better to the Shure's incredible "black olive" foamies.

The cord is also prone to transmitting pops and crackle noises from static electricity when touching the cord. The cord is very very thin. While not confidence inducing, it also does not tangle too horribly, not at least as much as the original super thin Super.Fi cables. But with thinness you get much lighter weight. But it would've been nice if the cable had been shielded better.

Now the real kicker, the new Metal Body. It is most likely made from aluminum. Definitely not stainless steel.
Metal body is sturdy; conveys quality and strength. Makes even my much more expensive (and better sounding) Triple.Fi look and feel cheap by comparison. There is just something about picking up that cold metal. Hold it in your hands and you will know what I am talking about.

I think the new Industrial Design is a step in the right direction, but could use some better styling.

SOUND QUALITY

Detail: Moderate. Treble detail is a bit lacking, but up to par with it's price point.

Soundstage: Large, deep, and wide.

Imaging: A little unfocused, instrument separation could be better, but up to par with it's price point.

Frequency Response:

Treble - smooth, lacking a little in the upper high end "sparkle", but that high end can be too much for some people that do not like "Bright" sounds. But Treble freaks may not like it.

Mid Range - Slightly warm, and overall pretty good. Doesn't really stand out though.

Bass - flat and decent extension. Not quite subwoofer low, but at least it does not distort a lot. Mid bass is not too honky, and surprisingly clear for a single driver IEM.

PRAT (Pace, Rhythm, and Timing)

The widow maker of most single driver IEM's.
Somewhat slow, especially compared to higher end IEM's. Especially at the extremes of the frequency spectrum. But again, you'd have to spend 2-3x the money to get a significant improvement.

You know the funny thing is that the biggest stand out difference in this new UE Product is the "Zippo" Style carrying case. It's so convenient and small. It's no surprise that a company that caters to rock stars would come up with such a clever innovation here. Makes me want to hold up a lighter in tribute.

Now for higher end products in the future, I would like a metal version of that "Zippo" Style case for the Triple.Fi's successor.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Ed

thanks for the comments Ed, i really like the look of those things and i think they could be great, cheers now im going to spend more
tongue.gif

Nov 28, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #37 of 98
Other than the soundstage, the review sounds pretty "blah". Almost sound overpriced and should be more in the $80 range?

Are they are even a clearcut improvement over CX300/EP630?

Nov 28, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #38 of 98
I think the new super.fi 4 is not worth the money if you don't have an iPhone. I'd rather get the super.fi 5 Pro for "normal" portable media players.

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #39 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by SactoMan101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the new super.fi 4 is not worth the money if you don't have an iPhone. I'd rather get the super.fi 5 Pro for "normal" portable media players.

There is also non-iPhone compatible model.
Super.fi 4, not VI.

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #40 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by SactoMan101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also list price on the normal non-iphone edition is $20 less so it doesn't make it as bad.

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #41 of 98
heres a thought, why didnt ultimate ears put a little switch on the mic version of the phones for ambiant sound to enter such as the shure PTH accessory. that would have been a nice trick up ultimate ears sleeve and worth the extra money.

that is if there isnt such a switch...i dont actually know, but if there isnt one then thats a bit of a oversight on ultimate ears behalf

Dec 2, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #42 of 98
I just got a pair at the local Apple Store. Exchanged my days-old V-Moda Vibe Duo, plus cash.

Here are my initial impressions -- most about form factor, some SQ:

- Bud design: kinda blah to be honest. Shape is nothing to write home about. The housing is aluminum, but it looks like plastic. Good reinforcement where the wire enters the housing, should prevent side-to-side tension. At a glance, the V-Moda looks cooler, but the bumpy-ridge design flourish actually irritated my ears. WINNER: Push

- Tips: The smallest 4vi tips seem bigger than the smallest V-Moda tips (almost the size of the medium V-Moda). So if your ears are really small, the 4vi may not be for you. With the V-Moda, I used both mediums, although my left ear would have liked something between the medium and small size. With the 4vi, I use the medium tip for right ear, and the small tip for left ear. V-Moda come with black tips, too. 4vi have two extra medium sizes and two flange designs. Squishiness of all buds is equal to me. WINNER: 4vi, but your ears are likely totally different than mine.

- Mic design and placement: The V-Moda mic was longer, but thinner. The 4vi is like a small chiclet on the wire. I think the 4vi is closer to my mouth. Both mics seem closer than stock iPhone buds. The iPhone mic control button on the V-Moda was a tiny oval on the long mic. The button is small (compared to entire mic button design of stock buds), but because the mic was longer, I had an easier time finding the button. I had read complaints about the smallness, but it really seemed easier to me. This is also where the 4vi has the biggest deviation from other two designs. The mic button is below the L/R split reinforcement. So you have right bud > mic chiclet > split reinforcment > button larger chiclet > audio plug. After two hours with the design, I cannot say I am a fan. I'm just used to reaching by my mouth to switch. Also, the 4vi design is 3/4 plastic housing, 1/4 rubber-covered button. The rubber button does give your finger/thumb a tactile reminder that the button is on the one side, but after a few uses the rubber tends to pop out on the sides and has to be pushed back in. And, lastly, the way the L/R buds are placed, the rubber button faces toward your chest, so if you grab it with right finger and thumb, you use your thumb to activated. For me it seems more natural to use my index finger. These are likely minor quibbles that will resolve themselves with muscle memory retraining, but right now they seem like a BIG annoyance. WINNER: V-Moda (for now).

Comfort: After two hours of listening, the 4vi are fatiguing my ear canals like the V-Moda did. But I can see myself getting used to them. WINNER: Push

Cord design: The V-Moda cables were fabric covered, looked nicer and resulted in fewer tangles. The 4vi cables are standard rubber and average in thickness. I have yet to wad these up and stick and my pocket and see what happened upon removal. I really hope they don't tangle as badly as the iPhone stocks. The WINNER: V-Moda, but would be a push if 4vi don't tangle up

Microphonics: The V-Moda fabric-covered cables seemed to transfer less extra noise while walking or moving. I think this is the 4vi's weakest point. With rubber cables and all of the chiclets, I get lots of microphonic noise. UE says you can wear these in the cord-over-the-ears position to minimize, but doing so renders the mic unusable (it's almost behind your ear). I can't say this is a design flaw, as I don't have a better solution, but it ain't right. WINNER: V-Moda

Isolation: I don't have decibel measures, but I think the 4vi has better isolation. My wife has already yelled at me twice with the 4vi on.
smily_headphones1.gif
WINNER: 4vi

Misc: Both the 4vi and the V-Moda have a low hiss when connected and with the iPhone turned on (no sounds or music playing). Weird.

Sound quality (very general, not audiophile analyses): The 4vi sound really good out of the box. As mentioned before, they are fairly neutral; I actually hear treble! The V-Modas were EXTREMELY BASS HEAVY. I had to set the iPhone EQ to Treble Enhance (and I've NEVER EQ'd an iPod/iPhone before, dating back to my 1st Generation). It sounded like I had my head next to a subwoofer, and the satellite speakers in another room. Despite many of the positives detailed above, this single issue depressed me about the V-Modas, leading to my exchange for the 4vi. Listening to Massive Attack (dark and bassy) AND Imogen Heap (bright female vocals) have been really pleasant on the 4vi. If I dig deep in my memory banks, I think the 4vi also beat the Shure E2C I used to own on SQ, too. I'll have to do some A/B comparison against my amped DT-990 for my final SQ comparison, but I am quite happy after listening for the last 4 hours straight (started this post, went to do some chores, finishing later). After 15 minutes with the V-Moda I was already "concerned." WINNER: 4vi (by a large margin)

Value: The 4vi cost twice as much as I paid for the V-Modas (saved $20 on VM during Apple Black Friday sale). But an extra $70 is really worth it to me for the improved sound. More hours and days should prove this point. I don't see returning the 4vi anytime soon (especially there isn't anything better on the market for the iPhone -- without extra buttons and attachments, that is). WINNER: 4vi

Dec 15, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #44 of 98
While I am glad to see UE finally offering something for the iphone I am disappointed that they also do not make just a cable option for ppl that want to use the superfi.5's etc. I was really hoping for this option, just a 30 dollar cable that I could replace with my existing one since they are easy to swap out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back