Super.fi 3 vs. ER6i
Mar 23, 2008 at 5:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Tmacfan4321

100+ Head-Fier
Basically, I have narrowed down my search for iBud replacements to two sets of IEMs, the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3's and the Etymotic ER6i. I was wondering what the best choice would be for Rock, Hip-Hop, and Rap.

I am limited to a budget under $100, that is why I am in this predicament.

Mar 23, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #2 of 21
Ermmm, neither one is really for rap and hip hop, and the ety's definitely aren't. If you're looking for impactful bass, I wouldn't really be looking this way, but if you want a more balanced sound, then Etymotic ER-6i it is. The Super.fi 3's are also good for rock, but I still prefer the Ety's.

Mar 23, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #3 of 21
I can deal with a lack of Bass, anything is a step up from iBuds. I do want a balanced sound and I think that the ER6i would be a better choice for me. I made that decision after seeing a few other threads with people in my situation.

Thanks.

Mar 23, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 21
Don't forget to pick up some Shure black foam (olives) if you gonna use foam instead of silicone flanges.

Mar 23, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 21
UM comply tips will also help to improve the bass for ER6i. But it will not last as long as the Shure olives.

Mar 23, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 21
I'll try both silicone and the foam sleeves, is there anyone else who carries the Olives for cheaper than Shure?

$20 is a pretty steep pricepoint for foam sleeves.

Mar 23, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #7 of 21
I hate to double post but this is a bump and it involves another question.

Would a pair of SR60's complement these IEM's for home use? I have heard that the SR60's produce good bass and they don't need an amp to sound good. Any input here?

Mar 23, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #8 of 21
I'm interested to know this, how does the super-fi.3 stand up against the ER-6i?

In addition, how does the super-fi.5 pro stand against the ER-4P?

The design features of the UE IEMs are much more attractive to me than the Ety's design (especially the removable cable, since my Ety cable is about to fall apart), though I love the Ety sound, almost unavoidable cable microphonics really stress my enjoyment with my ER-6is.

Mar 24, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #9 of 21
In my opinion, Ety ER6 easily outperforms the UE super.fi 3s in every possible way - it has better quality, more detialed, tighter and deeper bass response, crisper and more detailed mids and much better high frequency detail and extension. The Etys also have superior imaging and dynamics. Personally, I even preferred the ER6 to the UE Super.fi 5 Pro and Westone UM2. Also, I think that the Etys do most, if not all geners of music acceptably - people complain that they lack low end, but to my ears they more than enough bass to handle rap, hip-hop, dance, trance and other bass heavy music, especially when amped with my MiniBox E+.

Mar 24, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #10 of 21
That's unfortunate. I'm really quite fond of the ER-6i's sound, but I am getting annoyed enough with how difficult it is to keep from getting cable microphonics (even with the shirt clipper).

It's VERY jarring, especially if the cable--not the main cable, but the "pigtails" that lead to each driver unit--hits an open zipper, and I can't wear earrings when I listen or they thump against the cable as well. Even my hair thumps against the cable and ruins the mood. I remember my old Shure E5c had a memory cable that went over the ears and I never had problems with cable noise with them, but I just didn't like the sound signature. I definitely agree with you on Etys doing almost any music well.

I'm just finding it REALLY hard to enjoy them with all that cable thumping going on! And I've already lost a couple pair of earrings because I had to take them off when out and about to use the IEMs without hearing *thump* every time I took a step.

*sigh* It's a moot point anyway as I expect the left driver in my ER-6i to go dead at any moment. It's been cutting out for variable periods of time for a couple of days now. I'm pretty impressed they're just now starting to decay after four years of hard listening. I'm so wanting ER-4P because I love the Ety sound but... portability demands practicality.

Mar 24, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In addition, how does the super-fi.5 pro stand against the ER-4P?

I have done extensive research on these forums, and the result is: UE superfi 5 just DOESN'T stack up against ER-4P. And, I ended up with 4Ps, and very happy.

Mar 24, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmacfan4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to double post but this is a bump and it involves another question.

Would a pair of SR60's complement these IEM's for home use? I have heard that the SR60's produce good bass and they don't need an amp to sound good. Any input here?

I have to say, before I burned in my Grados I thought they were more UE sounding, but after burning in, I think they are closer to the Ety's, so I would say yes. Ironically I own the SR60's and the SF3 and ER-6i
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion, Ety ER6 easily outperforms the UE super.fi 3s in every possible way - it has better quality, more detialed, tighter and deeper bass response, crisper and more detailed mids and much better high frequency detail and extension. The Etys also have superior imaging and dynamics. Personally, I even preferred the ER6 to the UE Super.fi 5 Pro and Westone UM2. Also, I think that the Etys do most, if not all geners of music acceptably - people complain that they lack low end, but to my ears they more than enough bass to handle rap, hip-hop, dance, trance and other bass heavy music, especially when amped with my MiniBox E+.

You are probably the only other person I could get to agree with me on this. I could swear on my life that the Ety's have a more pronounced bass (b/c they're balanced, whereas the SF3's are very forward in mids). I do think the Ety's outperform the SF3's and that's why I haven't been using my SF3's for a while now.

BTW, @ whoever was asking....i'm too lazy, but if you look at "Find all threads started by..." then you'll find my review on the both of them....more like a comparison.

Mar 24, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #13 of 21
Thanks for directing me to the link to the review, I'll read it right now

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #14 of 21
heh, sorry I got lazy, i'm sure if you asked, anyday I'd prefer the Ety's, unless I'd just run out of my last foamy and my flanges decided to tear
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #15 of 21
Nice review, I thought that I would have to pay extra for a pair of foamies right when I got the ER6i's, having some in the box is pretty cool.

I see that you have a Cmoy for your SR60's, where does it make a difference in sq when compared to non amplified listening?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back