Super comfortable upgrade to AD700?
Jul 30, 2009 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jwong

500+ Head-Fier
Alright, I've been lurking here for years. You guys are responsible for my pairs of KSC-75s as well as my Audio Technica AD700s. I figured it was time to finally register and join in.

Comfort is huge on my list. The AD700s are as comfortable as any full sized headphones I've tried, but I've got a bit of the upgrade bug.

So, any suggestions on something just as comfortable (or more so!) that would be a step up, maybe with more bass presence? Up to $200 or so.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 13
sounds like you prefer open headphones, so why not find a used pair of AD900, you should be able to get them for around $200.

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 13
THERE IS NO UPGRADE!

I keed. I'm sure there is an upgrade somewhere.

Have you considered the DT880's? They the only headphones I've used which are more comfortable on your head than off it.

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD900, AD2000.
wink_face.gif

Are the AD900 really that much better than the 700s? As for the AD2000, I think you missed part of my original message.
biggrin.gif

The Denons look interesting. The DT880, HD600 and AD900 all look to be closer to $300 though unless I can find a nice used pair. How about the SHURE SRH840 that has that monster thread going on about them?

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #9 of 13
When I'm listening at my computer I do it through my Presonus Firebox, so that should be fine. But I do listen through portable players as well and don't have an amp for those (as of now anyway).

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 13
If you love the ATH suspension system for the comfort, I'd suggest you try the AKGs - they produce headphones that feel almost the same.

Unfortunately, AKG isn't very bass heavy either. the K340 might fit the bill, but these are a home solution only and require a pretty beefy amp.

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #11 of 13
My understanding is, the vast majority of upscale headphones are comfortable enough.

I've heard some people find Grados with certain earphone covers uncomfortable and I can personally attest that I didn't find the Ultrasones all too comfortable but those kind of thing are the exceptions to the rule.

You'd be better off finding something that caters to your sound needs then verifying that there aren't any issues with fit/comfort before you pull the trigger.

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jwong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the AD900 really that much better than the 700s?

Not really, no. They are slightly better, but only slightly. I chose to keep mine, but if I had returned them, I would have been 100% satisfied with my AD700s.

I am not convinced that an upgrade is possible in your price range (or even in a much higher price range), though you could try something totally different such as closed cans.

Jul 30, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jwong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the AD900 really that much better than the 700s?

I hear they are better but that will be a bit subjective. They are supposed to have a bit more bass, midbass, lower midrange and are also supposed to have slightly better detail without having the sound stage change to much.

Another option right now is the new Shure 840 I have seen in some of the threads you can get this from RMC Audio for $129. The reviews/impressions of these seem pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back