Super (capacitor) charging your iFi Zen Can (and other zen products and possibly other manufacturers)
Oct 20, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #91 of 109
105dB/1V & 12 Ohm
99dB/1V and 26 Ohm
Demanding...

I bought this for ZenCan https://nostromo.audio/pl/zasilacze-do-urzadzen-audio/149-zasilacz-liniowy-nostromo-5v-6a.html and it doesnt work. It gives 5.44V output (should be ok or too much?). ZenCan starts, but after 2 seconds lights dim, the lights are visible but very weak, and there is no sound. The same effect I had, when I connected ZenCan to 5V/0.5A PSU. So, not enough current?

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #92 of 109
I bought this for ZenCan https://nostromo.audio/pl/zasilacze-do-urzadzen-audio/149-zasilacz-liniowy-nostromo-5v-6a.html and it doesnt work. It gives 5.44V output (should be ok or too much?).

It should be ok, but is borderline. If adjustable, try backing off to 5.1V.

ZenCan starts, but after 2 seconds lights dim, the lights are visible but very weak, and there is no sound. The same effect I had, when I connected ZenCan to 5V/0.5A PSU. So, not enough current?

Could be. Ask the seller.

Because the Zen CAN uses an SMPS with large value capacitors behind it, the initial current on turn on from cold can be quite high. Some power supplies may go into protection.

Thor

Oct 23, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #93 of 109
try backing off to 5.1V
Thank you! I did, 5.15V (under load goes down to 5.05V) and it works :-D It worked as well at around 5.25V but I lowered it a bit more.

@Thorsten Loesch please let me know if it is normal that with linear power supply ZenCan lights are dimmed? When it starts, they are bright, but after 1-2 seconds they dim to about maybe half of their "normal" brightness. Sound seems to be ok, no problems at +12dB with xbass+3d as well. Output voltage of LPS is around 5.1V without load, and 5.04V under load. With SMPS, lights are always at their maximum, no dimming effect.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #94 of 109
It should be ok, but is borderline. If adjustable, try backing off to 5.1V.

Could be. Ask the seller.

Because the Zen CAN uses an SMPS with large value capacitors behind it, the initial current on turn on from cold can be quite high. Some power supplies may go into protection.

Thor

What ever happened to this thread?

I have a pair of beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro and am considering the Ifi ICAN signature. But will getting a better power supply make it sound better?

I was a bit confused by all this.

Thanks

Apr 30, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #95 of 109
What ever happened to this thread?

No idea? Ran it's course.

I have a pair of beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro and am considering the Ifi ICAN signature. But will getting a better power supply make it sound better?

If you already have an iFi PSU included and use relatively high impedance headphones (250 Ohm is "High"), unlikely.

Thor

Apr 30, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #97 of 109
I saw that there is an issue with the crosstalk.

Really? Are you sure?

How much crosstalk is in your recording.

ON TOP, these "pee-pull" know jack about how to measure.

The "issue" is caused by the capacitance of the mosfet switch in the crossfeed circuit.

If it had been measured by someone who knows a minimum of what they do, they would have discovered that far from "crosstalk", it is actually "anti crosstalk" (which measures the same on the standard AP2 crosstalk test, but is nothing alike in sonic effect).

At the levels at which it is found (crossfeed off) it is "mostly harmless" and possibly "a slight subliminal whiff of extra air".

Is that an audible issue?

In my testing, no.

And is there any fix to that ?

It's not a bug, it's a feature, don't fix it.

Thor

Apr 30, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #98 of 109
crosstalk.jpg
Really? Are you sure?

How much crosstalk is in your recording.

ON TOP, these "pee-pull" know jack about how to measure.

The "issue" is caused by the capacitance of the mosfet switch in the crossfeed circuit.

If it had been measured by someone who knows a minimum of what they do, they would have discovered that far from "crosstalk", it is actually "anti crosstalk" (which measures the same on the standard AP2 crosstalk test, but is nothing alike in sonic effect).

At the levels at which it is found (crossfeed off) it is "mostly harmless" and possibly "a slight subliminal whiff of extra air".

In my testing, no.

It's not a bug, it's a feature, don't fix it.

Thor

Thanks so much for the response! Super appreciate it

It was measured by John A from stereophile.

https://www.stereophile.com/content...ature-v2-da-processor-ifi-zencan-measurements

And Goldensound. https://goldensound.audio/2021/07/22/ifi-zen-can-measurements/

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #99 of 109
Thanks so much for the response! Super appreciate it

It was measured by John A from stereophile.

https://www.stereophile.com/content...ature-v2-da-processor-ifi-zencan-measurements

And Goldensound. https://goldensound.audio/2021/07/22/ifi-zen-can-measurements/

First, it is 40dB below signal at 20khz. Secondly, as noted, it is actually anti-crosstalk, so we add a -40dB or more opposite phase signal to the other channel.

The sumsquareroot (this is how it adds up) of 1 - (1/100) in dB adds up to a 0.00044dB improvement in stereo separation for out of phase signals (in phase signals are mono - so there is no change).

I suspect that JA and GS may have reached out to iFi about this, but clearly ifi now also have nobody who knows what he is doing. I noticed Amir berating this...

So yes, the Zen Can has an issue in that for a stereo signal it provides an 0.00044dB enhancement of the stereo image. That is not STRICTLY on purpose, but a consequence of a cost constrained design that needed a low distortion (thus relatively high capacitance) switch to deliver the best all around performance.

Thor

Apr 30, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #100 of 109
Apr 30, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #101 of 109
First, it is 40dB below signal at 20khz. Secondly, as noted, it is actually anti-crosstalk, so we add a -40dB or more opposite phase signal to the other channel.

The sumsquareroot (this is how it adds up) of 1 - (1/100) in dB adds up to a 0.00044dB improvement in stereo separation for out of phase signals (in phase signals are mono - so there is no change).

I suspect that JA and GS may have reached out to iFi about this, but clearly ifi now also have nobody who knows what he is doing. I noticed Amir berating this...

So yes, the Zen Can has an issue in that for a stereo signal it provides an 0.00044dB enhancement of the stereo image. That is not STRICTLY on purpose, but a consequence of a cost constrained design that needed a low distortion (thus relatively high capacitance) switch to deliver the best all around performance.

Thor

Thanks so much for the response again man.

So because it’s an ti-crosstalk it shows up in a ‘ standard’ crosstalk measurements method as a not so good measuring crosstalk ?

I think I get what you are saying.
And I’m 55 so I doubt I would hear it anyways. Even tho my hearing is good at my age. Lol
And btw I don’t care what Amir says. He is biased and often his methodology is not done properly or purposely skewed.

Is there anything else that can be ‘ improved ‘ on from a DIY perspective on the Zen Can Signature besides the external power?

Thank you so much Thor!

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #102 of 109
So because it’s an ti-crosstalk it shows up in a ‘ standard’ crosstalk measurements method as a not so good measuring crosstalk ?

Crosstalk measurement on AP2 in standard pre-set discounts phase. So crosstalk and anti-crosstalk look identical.

But its like saying a 10" pothole and a 10" bump are the same.

Is there anything else that can be ‘ improved ‘ on from a DIY perspective on the Zen Can Signature besides the external power?

Depends on how DIY you are and what you want.

On my desk is an original "pre-production" drop HD6XX, where I "clipped out" the HD6XX (etc.) specific EQ and did nought else except the power.

Thor

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #103 of 109
Crosstalk measurement on AP2 in standard pre-set discounts phase. So crosstalk and anti-crosstalk look identical.

But its like saying a 10" pothole and a 10" bump are the same.

Depends on how DIY you are and what you want.

On my desk is an original "pre-production" drop HD6XX, where I "clipped out" the HD6XX (etc.) specific EQ and did nought else except the power.

Thor

Are there any parts that can be switched out to ‘ better ‘ sounding parts?
Both subjective and objective?

Or would that just be subjective ?
I guess it would be tough since it looks surface mounted.

Would changing the power supply help with my Beyerdynamic DT1990 pro headphones?

Thanks man

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #104 of 109
Are there any parts that can be switched out to ‘ better ‘ sounding parts?

Of course, but its a lot of effort and deep blue hero stuff level soldering, I decided not to do that,

Would changing the power supply help with my Beyerdynamic DT1990 pro headphones?

if the supplied one is an ifi ipower, probably not.

Thor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back