Super budget Amp for dt770 80 ohm suggestions?
Oct 3, 2007 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

marshes

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
Basically I'm a complete n00b when it comes to audio, have a great modification background and prefer budget quality. I own er6i's and an unlocked iphone
smily_headphones1.gif

Just bought a pair of dt770 80 ohms love to listen to techno, rock, and some rap. Typically my source is a ipod or iphone, looking to get a portable pocket amp under 100 bucks preferably in the 50 dollar range... if possible?

I have found cmoy's in altoid cans that really appeal to me just wanted some opinion on that combo. Also a guy makes cmoy's with bass boost that I've heard would be awesome with er6i's and bring out the bass in softer songs on my dt770's which should be here this week.

Whats a good super cheap starter pocket portable amp that would pair nicely with an ipod and dt770s 80 ohm? me right now
blink.gif
me soon
600smile.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 13
I think you already named it. You will need to spend more than $50 if you want some decent amplification. If it were me though, I'd buy a mini^3

Oct 4, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #4 of 13
I am going to bump this because I have a related question. I just ordered some DT770s pro 80 ohms. I will be running on a audigy 2 ZS sound card and will likely get an X-fi later. Is it necessary for my to get an amp even though I will be on a dedicated sound card for the 80 ohm phones.

Also, If I do need a amp, can you all recommend a really inexpensive one, around $50 or so. I do not need it to be portable at all, I will be using it at home at my computer. I would actually prefer to use an AC plugin so I do not have to worry about batteries. This also will come in handy with having that volume adjuster right there (I have always been used to a volume adjuster on the cord).

Now this is just if I really need an amp.

Oct 4, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by marshes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Typically my source is a ipod or iphone, looking to get a portable pocket amp under 100 bucks preferably in the 50 dollar range... if possible?

There have been quite a few suggestions for budget amps already, but I wanted to add that you will need a source with a line out (as opposed to a headphone out) to benefit from a headphone amp. If you use the headphone out you will be amplifying the source twice - once with the (inferior) internal headphone amp and then again with the (hopefully better) external amp.
You can get line out docks for iPods, which plug into the docking port on the bottom of the iPod and bypass the internal headphone amp. They vary greatly in price depending on what cable/connector options you choose, although I've no idea how much they cost as I don't own an iPod.

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #8 of 13
Z-Audio Epsilon $69
www.z-audio.com

I have the Mu , and it sounds good,unless youre going to use IEMs,because of a little hiss....but the Epsilon is a similar amp but only uses one amp chip instead of two,so maybe less his?

Just figured you may want to check it out because its cheap.

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #9 of 13
I would like something where I can plug a DC adapter in my will into the amp so I don't have to worry about batteries.
I would like to know what the effect of having Output Impedance: 47 Ohms per channel on that amp I liked would have on the DT770 80ohm. Would it benefit it at all. I am really noob here. My logic tells me the amp would need to be over 80 Ohms to benefit the 80 Ohms of the headphones.

Oct 6, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ihaveworms /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to know what the effect of having Output Impedance: 47 Ohms per channel on that amp I liked would have on the DT770 80ohm. Would it benefit it at all. I am really noob here. My logic tells me the amp would need to be over 80 Ohms to benefit the 80 Ohms of the headphones.

It actually works the other way around for power amplifiers driving speakers/headphones. You want the output impedance to be as low as possible.

Oct 8, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #13 of 13
what do people think of the minibox-d? What about the ibasso t1? or the Mystery xtra x1 amp? I hear the minibox-d is better than the t1. Anyone know how minibox or xtra x1 stacks up with cmoys?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back