Sunrise SW-Xcape are GREAT!
Feb 12, 2011 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Hayang

100+ Head-Fier
So, recently I made the transition into IEM territory from full sizes.  I read joker's review and got the Sunrise Xcape version 1.  They are currently burned in only 12 hours or so.

WOW!  So neutral, yet so engaging, so fun!  For the first time, I actually emotionally enjoyed classical music in the car!  I listened to American in Paris and Rachmaninoff PC2, and it was such bliss.  The timbre is so right for each instrument... I hated the M50s for classical because they made pianos sound cold and thin, and my HD558s were great for piano but now I realize that they were just a little on the warm side of neutral making the sound a little "romanticized" if you will, although the HD558s are also awesome cans (plus the soundstage of the open HD558s is much better than that of these IEMS).  When I listen to the X-cape however, I get the feeling that the piano sound is more realistic than these two... The treble is well balanced, and the bell-like tone of high notes comes through much better.

I think classical is a great test for headphones because strings and pianos just require so much detail and balance to sound realistic and emotional.  I am glad to say the Xcapes pass my classical test.  They also pass my pop, hip-hop, jazz, acoustic, everything test.

In general, I think these are a phenomenal buy for $80.  If there was a closed full size headphone this good I think it would be worth a good $150.  They are more neutral yet almost just as fun as the M50, for example, for most genres.  But the M50s cannot do acoustic and classical as well as these Xcapes because of their V-curve FR.  After hearing the Xcapes I decided the M50s could not really be called neutral cans.

Lots of love for these!

Feb 12, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 8
I thought version 1 was sold out and no longer produced. Anyway, it is not said that version 2 is better in sound, we're still waiting for reviews.

Is there anything you don't like about the SW-Xcape?

Feb 12, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
are they able to be powered without an  amp on an ipod and still sound great?

Thanks

Yup - work fine for me straight from an iPod 120GB Classic.

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back