:sunrise: CanJam SoCal 2016 (March 19-20, 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #886 of 1,119
  So other than food, what are people most excited to check out at Canjam?  

For me it's the Cavalli Audio Liquid Tungsten (obviously) and the MrSpeakers Ether E.  Dan claimed in the Ether C thread that it has sub-bass.  Knowing his taste in music, I think this could be a great headphone if he can get that sub-bass going!  And even if it's "only" another STAX clone, it will be the most comfortable option out there.  

The last thing I'm itching to try is the Chord Mojo.  I've heard too many good things about this to not have my interest piqued.  Oh and I'm curious how the AK 320 will stack up to the AK 380 at half the price.  Seems like giving up DSD to save $1800 is a good choice for someone who doesn't use DSD!

There will be a ton of cool stuff there but I've heard much of it before.  These are the big ones for me.  What are other folks excited about?

Absolutely check out the MOJO!  I got one last month and it's amazing.  It's an excellent DAC and the amp will power my T1's to a volume so high that you really shouldn't be listening to anything that loud.  And it's smaller than the palm of my hand!

Mar 16, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #887 of 1,119
@warrenpchi

Hi Warren! I would love to test the liquid tungsten. I've listened to many TOTL amps (WA234, Bottlehead's Mainline [which I own] and Neothoriator, BHSE... just to name a few).

Thanks!

You got it!  
smile.gif

Only 7 more spots left fellas!

This is just a thought for all of us who may be bringing a couple of credit cards this weekend.  No matter how stunning an amp or dap or hp might be, don't jump right in.  Step back, take a few breaths and give it some thought.  Last year I heard the Layla's at the Astell & Kern table and thought they were so good I would have made a $2,500 impulse buy if they had been selling them there.  Driving back to the Bay Area Sunday night gave me time to decompress and consider the excellent IEM's I already have.  I've already blown enough holes through my credit cards.   Our enthusiasm for personal audio should be something that enhances our lives, not something that creates a financial drag on it.  Sorry if I'm being a wet blanket.

Hey @TraneTime, this might seem unexpected coming from a manufacturer, but I agree with you!  
smile.gif

It's always a good idea to reflect on what you want - not only in terms of making an expenditure - but also to be sure that it is the right step to take in upgrading a rig.  Each component is not only a piece-of-kit in isolation, but the start of a different path signature-wise.

Plus, since Alex and I both came up through the hobby, and consider ourselves Head-Fiers first and foremost, we know exactly what it's like to be in your shoes (because we are).

Having said that, I have just extended the date of our 10% off code so that it remains valid for a week after CanJam.  Hopefully that will help with not having to make a rushed decision?  

Mar 16, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #891 of 1,119

You got it!  
smile.gif

Only 7 more spots left fellas!

Hey @TraneTime, this might seem unexpected coming from a manufacturer, but I agree with you!  
smile.gif

It's always a good idea to reflect on what you want - not only in terms of making an expenditure - but also to be sure that it is the right step to take in upgrading a rig.  Each component is not only a piece-of-kit in isolation, but the start of a different path signature-wise.

Plus, since Alex and I both came up through the hobby, and consider ourselves Head-Fiers first and foremost, we know exactly what it's like to be in your shoes (because we are).

Having said that, I have just extended the date of our 10% off code so that it remains valid for a week after CanJam.  Hopefully that will help with not having to make a rushed decision?  

Thanks Warren.  I knew I wasn't the only one.

Mar 16, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #892 of 1,119
OMG can we please stop with the In-n-Out talk?  Off topic for pages and pages...

Mar 16, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #893 of 1,119
Mar 16, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #895 of 1,119
  If anyone likes Hawaiian BBQ, this place is really good, ridiculously huge portions, and also walking distance:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/aloha-hawaiian-bbq-santa-ana-2?osq=aloha+hawaiin+bbq

Mmm chicken katsu. I'll check it out when I'm there on Saturday :)

Absolutely check out the MOJO!  I got one last month and it's amazing.  It's an excellent DAC and the amp will power my T1's to a volume so high that you really shouldn't be listening to anything that loud.  And it's smaller than the palm of my hand!

From what I'm reading it sounds like the Mojo has the good R2R-like characteristics of having natural timbre and spacious imaging without the etched or detail-spiked sound of the gala of delta-sigma off the shelf converters in most portable DACs and DAPs. This weekend is going to be mainly about testing my TH-X00 with a Mojo at the event and then trying some other portable setups like the QP1R. I'm almost ready to drop $600, I just have to be sure
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #896 of 1,119

From what I'm reading it sounds like the Mojo has the good R2R-like characteristics of having natural timbre and spacious imaging without the etched or detail-spiked sound of the gala of delta-sigma off the shelf converters in most portable DACs and DAPs. This weekend is going to be mainly about testing my TH-X00 with a Mojo at the event and then trying some other portable setups like the QP1R. I'm almost ready to drop $600, I just have to be sure
smily_headphones1.gif

The QP1R is very good.

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #898 of 1,119
Mar 16, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #899 of 1,119

smily_headphones1.gif

Be very sure.   You might want to read post #887 from Warren.  He was responding to my post #885 regarding spending our money.  

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #900 of 1,119
  Hi Warren,

I'd love to test the Liquid Tungsten, if there are still spots available.  My favorite tube amp is actually a hybrid: the Cavalli Audi Liquid Glass.

Awesome, just put you on the list!  
smile.gif

And for the record, the Liquid Glass is my favorite Cavalli amp.  Most people think the Gold is my favorite, but nope, it's the Glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back