:sunrise: CanJam SoCal 2016 (March 19-20, 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #436 of 1,119
  As we get closer I just keep getting more excited! A few noob questions:

1. Is there any real difference between attending Saturday and attending Sunday? I'm planning on attending Sunday, so I just want to make sure the later attendance doesn't somehow mean a lesser experience, or that there are first-come-first-serve type of things I might miss out on. 

2. Are most of the products on display also for sale at the show? For example, under most scenarios, if I hear a dap and just love it, is it possible for me to purchase it and leave the show with it, or do you usually still have to order it online?

Last year Sunday was a slower day than Saturday. You'll probably experience shorter lines but you could miss out on a Saturday giveaway or some of the interesting panels. If you can only make it one day then my advice is just go with whichever day works best with your schedule. It'd be better to attend for a full day on Sunday than a half day on Saturday - there's going to be a lot of gear and you'll want as much time as possible to listen.

Product availability depends on each exhibitor. Some will have product on hand, some will take online orders at the show and ship from their central warehouse, and others won't be selling at all. There are many factors that will influence each company's decision, so there's no guarantee you can get a specific product and have it for your return trip home.

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #437 of 1,119
While we're on the newb questions, how important is it that I bring my own music on a portable source? Will many exhibitors have Tidal set up?

I don't have a portable setup, but I don't know if I'll get a good sense for all the gear if I am listening to unfamiliar recordings... 

I don't have a DAP either, and I'm a noob too. My plan is to press my iPhone into service as s DAP, and as backup, bring a USB key with music files.

For the "iPhone as DAP" plan to work, you need 3 things: enough free space, obviously, an Apple Lightning to USB Camera adapter, and an app that can play hi-Rez music. I picked Onkyo HF player.

Using this, I've confirmed that I could send PCM and DSD digitally to at least some USB DACs successfully.

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #439 of 1,119
Viva Las Vegas - ZZ Top
They don't want music - The Black Eyed Peas
Walk of life - Dire Straits

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #445 of 1,119
3 is not enough.

Please do not be "that guy" that locks up a product while people are waiting behind you.

I learned this very quickly when I demoed gear. For those tables with less gear to demo, I instantly looked for songs that I just wanted to hear on their player. If the tables had more gear to demo, I would take my time looking for more specific genres, as there would be less of a line.

I think having at least one album or preferred song of your genre preferences is good, but zeroing in on those most-favorite-songs-of-all-time work best. I eventually did this on the demo players and my own DAP. Well, being patient and flexible with all of those different demo players helped as well.

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #446 of 1,119
You must have been the one I was following constantly at RMAF. It felt like each demo was playing that song every time I sat down. :p

Well it's your fault for stalking me... :D
I learned this very quickly when I demoed gear. For those tables with less gear to demo, I instantly looked for songs that I just wanted to hear on their player. If the tables had more gear to demo, I would take my time looking for more specific genres, as there would be less of a line.

I think having at least one album or preferred song of your genre preferences is good, but zeroing in on those most-favorite-songs-of-all-time work best. I eventually did this on the demo players and my own DAP. Well, being patient and flexible with all of those different demo players helped as well.

I have also found a lot of new, to me, music by browsing through the selections on different setups.

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #447 of 1,119

3 is not enough.

Please do not be "that guy" that locks up a product while people are waiting behind you.

I dont really demo much at shows, its just 3 choices isn't enough for me. I will test more when I do, but I dont listen to entire songs, I dont spend any more time than most, good chance its even less.

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #448 of 1,119

I dont really demo much at shows, its just 3 choices isn't enough for me. I will test more when I do, but I dont listen to entire songs, I dont spend any more time than most, good chance its even less.

I have over 1000 CDs that I love over many genre's so I just wanted to get a small sampling of "demo" tracks other people like to use.  Since I like so many genres, I find it hard to pick tracks to demo with... Plus I am still learning how to analyze gear from a listeners point of view. 

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #449 of 1,119
  I have over 1000 CDs that I love over many genre's so I just wanted to get a small sampling of "demo" tracks other people like to use.  Since I like so many genres, I find it hard to pick tracks to demo with... Plus I am still learning how to analyze gear from a listeners point of view. 

I have just over 300 songs total and about 80 in my fav list, I guess you could say I am in the low factor.

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #450 of 1,119

I have just over 300 songs total and about 80 in my fav list, I guess you could say I am in the low factor.

I'm in the middle of building a couple of custom iPods and will probably take one of my extra donor iPods and rockbox it with a SD card and toss a bunch of random tracks on that. And maybe a USB drive with the same tracks in case I am demo'ing on a laptop. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back