:sunrise: CanJam SoCal 2016 (March 19-20, 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 14, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #211 of 1,119
  What gear do browsers (i.e. people not setting up a rig) normally bring down to the floor? I was planning on bringing my phone and a DAP as sources, and closed portable headphones for listening. Is that even necessary, or do the booths all have their own preselected music and headphones for you to try their stuff with?

Last year I brought my portable headphones (HP100) and DAP (Fiio X5) along with a 1/8" to RCA (for using line out into an amp) and 1/8" to Coax with Coax cable (for using as a portable source into a DAC).  This let me test headphones, amps, and DAC's against equipment that I was familiar with, with music I was familiar with.  I was kind of a lot to haul around but totally worth it.

Of course you don't NEED to bring any of that if you don't want.  You could just show up and sample the sweet sweet gear.  :-D

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #213 of 1,119

Last year I brought my portable headphones (HP100) and DAP (Fiio X5) along with a 1/8" to RCA (for using line out into an amp) and 1/8" to Coax with Coax cable (for using as a portable source into a DAC).  This let me test headphones, amps, and DAC's against equipment that I was familiar with, with music I was familiar with.  I was kind of a lot to haul around but totally worth it.

Of course you don't NEED to bring any of that if you don't want.  You could just show up and sample the sweet sweet gear.  :-D

Did you have to check in your equipment? To ensure you are not walking out with display products. I was wanting to do the same thing; bring my portable amp/DAC/headphones to sample equipment with familiar equipment.

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #216 of 1,119

Did you have to check in your equipment? To ensure you are not walking out with display products. I was wanting to do the same thing; bring my portable amp/DAC/headphones to sample equipment with familiar equipment.

Nope, no check in required.  Some items were stolen at last year's SoCal Canjam and it was a major shock to everyone.  Generally speaking, it's not the kind of thing that happens in our community.  But there's always someone to ruin it for everyone else...

Sweet!! Delta says 60 days till I can check-in.
biggrin.gif

Here we go again... 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 17, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #221 of 1,119
I'd suggest anyone who goes to Can Jam and wants to demo their goods.. just bring your headphones and a carrying case. It isn't worth it to lug around all your gear and constantly be reminded that you have to keep an eye on it. Leave the amp and DAC at home and just bring your favorite cans.. there are plenty of setups to go around. Also bring a flash drive with some of your own music in case you really want to get serious and try something out that you like but can't get a good feel for cause of different people's music selections.

If there is a member's showcase this year I might sign up for it though. Last year I brought too much gear and never got a chance to let anyone hear any of it. It sat in boxes inside the pizza conference room. Can Jam is more of a vendors showcase.

Another thing, I think there should be an off-duty cop or some kind of security guard at the upcoming CanJam. Why even take chances? The hobby has grown very big and there are always curious people outside the Head-fi community who want to stop by and listen. There isn't a way to track all of the guest coming in and with crowds you get shady people too that are eyeing goods they know the retail value of. I really am hoping that security gets stepped up this year. It would help the community and make people feel a bit more comfortable after last years shenanigans.

Jan 17, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #222 of 1,119
I'd suggest anyone who goes to Can Jam and wants to demo their goods.. just bring your headphones and a carrying case. It isn't worth it to lug around all your gear and constantly be reminded that you have to keep an eye on it. Leave the amp and DAC at home and just bring your favorite cans.. there are plenty of setups to go around. Also bring a flash drive with some of your own music in case you really want to get serious and try something out that you like but can't get a good feel for cause of different people's music selections.

If there is a member's showcase this year I might sign up for it though. Last year I brought too much gear and never got a chance to let anyone hear any of it. It sat in boxes inside the pizza conference room. Can Jam is more of a vendors showcase.

Another thing, I think there should be an off-duty cop or some kind of security guard at the upcoming CanJam. Why even take chances? The hobby has grown very big and there are always curious people outside the Head-fi community who want to stop by and listen. There isn't a way to track all of the guest coming in and with crowds you get shady people too that are eyeing goods they know the retail value of. I really am hoping that security gets stepped up this year. It would help the community and make people feel a bit more comfortable after last years shenanigans.

A DAP is also good to bring to use as a source, both for having your music for amps or DACs and also as a reference for trying out headphones & IEMs. Regarding security it's hard to police dozens of tables across a bunch of different rooms. Best is if we all stay aware. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back