:sunrise: CanJam SoCal 2016 (March 19-20, 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 9, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #603 of 1,119

You can still bring your own rig.  I brought mine to the last two shows I attended and set it up in my hotel room.  Then a bunch of folks brought their own gear and we had a mini meet up there.  There were people there I'd just met that day.

The event is what you make it.  If you want to bring your rig, go for it.  Post in this thread about it and let us know where we can see it!  I'm sure the organizers would even let you put up a sign if you asked nicely.  Don't hate on the people working so hard to make this event happen.  Be the change you want to see.

I hope to meet you in a couple weeks and we can discuss over a drink.  
beerchug.gif

Haha I know the guy on the left. That is audiofrk.

I'll be at CanJam this year. But I think the Member's showcase last year was more limited in space because I tried to sign up for it but it was already too late. I brought my gear anyways and I ended up having to hide it in the pizza room which was the last room on the third floor to the right because  no one turned up for the bring your own gear thing.

I believe CanJam has never really been about members sharing their own personal rigs and setups with each other. It has always been about showcasing the latest and greatest and being able to test a very large sample of products from just about every big name brand audio company. That is the fun of CanJam for me.

I learned the hard way thinking it was going to be anything like a Head-fi meet. Just bring a pair of headphones and something to protect them in while you carry them around. Don't bother bringing your amp and DACs because in the end you probably won't have table space and you'll end up having to hide your gear somewhere so no one else can hear it too.

Mar 9, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #605 of 1,119
In the area and would love to go, but am too poor! Seems like a fantastic opportunity though! Some day!

You don't have to buy anything, except a ticket...and probably lunch and dinner. Besides, there is going to be lots of stuff that will be worth the demo time and worth saving to buy later.

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #606 of 1,119

Haha I know the guy on the left. That is audiofrk.

I'll be at CanJam this year. But I think the Member's showcase last year was more limited in space because I tried to sign up for it but it was already too late. I brought my gear anyways and I ended up having to hide it in the pizza room which was the last room on the third floor to the right because  no one turned up for the bring your own gear thing.

I believe CanJam has never really been about members sharing their own personal rigs and setups with each other. It has always been about showcasing the latest and greatest and being able to test a very large sample of products from just about every big name brand audio company. That is the fun of CanJam for me.

I learned the hard way thinking it was going to be anything like a Head-fi meet. Just bring a pair of headphones and something to protect them in while you carry them around. Don't bother bringing your amp and DACs because in the end you probably won't have table space and you'll end up having to hide your gear somewhere so no one else can hear it too.

Yes indeed, that's he!  The guy on the right is MoeDawg, the guy in the middle is Jude and the guy in the way back is XERO1.

Hope to meet you in person there!  If anyone is looking for me, there's a good chance I'll be at the Cavalli table as I'm helping them out this year.

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #607 of 1,119
I believe CanJam has never really been about members sharing their own personal rigs and setups with each other. It has always been about showcasing the latest and greatest and being able to test a very large sample of products from just about every big name brand audio company.

That part of your post is completely inaccurate. The inaugural Head-Fi National Meet in 2006 in NY had at least 18 tables of member gear (possibly a bit more, but I can't remember for sure and couldn't quickly find the Member Table sign-up thread). I owned barely any equipment worth talking about at the time (it was mostly just cheap ultraportable stuff that I crammed into my carry-on) and was able to register for a table to share even my ultra-cheap gear at the time. HeadFest 2007 (the 2007 National Meet in NorCal, and yes that's what they actually called it) had more than 20 tables of member gear. I still remember the all-black stack of HeadAmp gear that I took to it (black GS-X, black GS-1, black Gilmore Lite LE, black AE-2).

The 2008 CanJam in Fort Lauderdale had a huge roomful worth of member gear (don't remember how many tables, but there were a LOT, and I still remember my B22-based setup from that one, which got a lot of Head-Fier attention), the 2009 CanJam in Los Angeles had 3 rooms of member gear (which was the CanJam that I got my BHSE at, which I spontaneously paired with another Head-Fier's Spectral SDR-2000), and the 2010 CanJam in Chicago had 2 rooms of member gear (which I also had a setup at, with the SPL Auditor and Beyer T1).

So previous to last year's 2015 CanJam in SoCal, CanJam/the Head-Fi National Meets had always been about members sharing their personal rigs with each other from the very beginning.

Oh and I also had my gear at both the 2009 and 2010 CanJam@RMAFs (BHSE/OII at 2009 and Auditor/T1 at 2010) since that event allowed for member tables at the time.

Mar 10, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #609 of 1,119
Has there been a decision yet about whether or not there will be a member's area at this CanJam SoCal? I sure hope there will be.  I was disappointed to hear that there didn't seem to be that much interest in having such a member's area this year. If not, I believe the suggestion was made here that perhaps members can bring their equipment and demonstrate it in their hotel rooms are various times.

I am a complete newb (signed up only 10 days ago) and my main reason for going is to learn more about this new hobby and to see the latest and greatest products available. I'm really looking forward to meet the vendors and seeing and hearing their products. As far as I know, this is the only venue where one can find and test out a huge selection of headphone and gear all together in one place and talk to fellow enthusiasts who are well-versed in this subject. I can hardly wait to attend and am planning on staying both days.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the sense I get is that CamJam's are basically a convention or a show in which manufacturers demonstrate and show off their various products, whereas meets are basically venues where members setup and demonstrate their own systems. My belief is that is that the best possible outcome would be that both experiences could be provided at this CanJam.

Thanks so much to the members who put in so much time to make this CamJam a reality. I look forward to meeting many of you there.

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #610 of 1,119
  Has there been a decision yet about whether or not there will be a member's area at this CanJam SoCal? I sure hope there will be.  I was disappointed to hear that there didn't seem to be that much interest in having such a member's area this year. If not, I believe the suggestion was made here that perhaps members can bring their equipment and demonstrate it in their hotel rooms are various times.

I am a complete newb (signed up only 10 days ago) and my main reason for going is to learn more about this new hobby and to see the latest and greatest products available. I'm really looking forward to meet the vendors and seeing and hearing their products. As far as I know, this is the only venue where one can find and test out a huge selection of headphone and gear all together in one place and talk to fellow enthusiasts who are well-versed in this subject. I can hardly wait to attend and am planning on staying both days.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the sense I get is that CamJam's are basically a convention or a show in which manufacturers demonstrate and show off their various products, whereas meets are basically venues where members setup and demonstrate their own systems. My belief is that is that the best possible outcome would be that both experiences could be provided at this CanJam.

Thanks so much to the members who put in so much time to make this CamJam a reality. I look forward to meeting many of you there.

Welcome! 

Regarding your question, the point I've been trying to get across is that almost everyone attending is a member so the whole place is a member's area.  Many people bring their own gear and set it up in their rooms or even demo it for each other in other places.  People are super friendly and generally very happy to talk and demo stuff.

To once again pull out personal experience, last year's Socal was my first Canjam as well.  I went knowing only one person in advance.  I recall early the first day before the floor opened, I was in the lobby waiting for my friend and a guy sat down across from me with an Oppo PM-3.  At the time this was a brand new headphone and I was really interested in hearing it based on what I'd read.  So I introduced myself and asked if I could hear it and he was totally cool with it.  I chatted with him a bunch at Socal and again at RMAF and I'm looking forward to seeing my friend Jose again in a few weeks.

At another point, I met a pair of cool guys named Maurice and Alan.  We went out with my buddy Brian for lunch and ended up demoing eachother's portable gear for like an hour+ after we'd finished eating.  It was a totally spontaneous and fun little mini-meet within Canjam with two guys I'd just met that day and another I'd just met in person for the first time.

I could tell you many more stories from that Canjam about people I met that day who ended up being super cool and friendly, and with whom I'm still friends today.  Jude let me listen to his prototype HE-1000 for half an hour.  Warren and I met that weekend and we've become very good friends since.  Ethan's wife was my realtor on my recent move to LA and we met that weekend.  Liang let me demo his $500 USB cable when I told him I didn't believe they made a difference.  Michael and I had some great discussions, not just about audio, over breakfast.  Etc etc.  I didn't know any of these folks before that weekend.

This stuff happens if you let it.  I wouldn't be too worried about Canjam lacking a community feel.  

I'm really looking forward to next weekend!

EDIT - BTW, left out forum names because I'm friends with these folks now and I don't think of them by their handles anymore.

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #612 of 1,119

Welcome! 

Regarding your question, the point I've been trying to get across is that almost everyone attending is a member so the whole place is a member's area.  Many people bring their own gear and set it up in their rooms or even demo it for each other in other places.  People are super friendly and generally very happy to talk and demo stuff.

To once again pull out personal experience, last year's Socal was my first Canjam as well.  I went knowing only one person in advance.  I recall early the first day before the floor opened, I was in the lobby waiting for my friend and a guy sat down across from me with an Oppo PM-3.  At the time this was a brand new headphone and I was really interested in hearing it based on what I'd read.  So I introduced myself and asked if I could hear it and he was totally cool with it.  I chatted with him a bunch at Socal and again at RMAF and I'm looking forward to seeing my friend Jose again in a few weeks.

At another point, I met a pair of cool guys named Maurice and Alan.  We went out with my buddy Brian for lunch and ended up demoing eachother's portable gear for like an hour+ after we'd finished eating.  It was a totally spontaneous and fun little mini-meet within Canjam with two guys I'd just met that day and another I'd just met in person for the first time.

I could tell you many more stories from that Canjam about people I met that day who ended up being super cool and friendly, and with whom I'm still friends today.  Jude let me listen to his prototype HE-1000 for half an hour.  Warren and I met that weekend and we've become very good friends since.  Ethan's wife was my realtor on my recent move to LA and we met that weekend.  Liang let me demo his $500 USB cable when I told him I didn't believe they made a difference.  Michael and I had some great discussions, not just about audio, over breakfast.  Etc etc.  I didn't know any of these folks before that weekend.

This stuff happens if you let it.  I wouldn't be too worried about Canjam lacking a community feel.  

I'm really looking forward to next weekend!

EDIT - BTW, left out forum names because I'm friends with these folks now and I don't think of them by their handles anymore.

Totally 100% agree. If you're just going out there and treating it like a "convention" my heart breaks for you. If you want to bring a setup, bring it! Make some new friends and set-up a side "mini meet" in one of the hotel rooms one night and compare your rigs! When I think back on all my great memories from RMAF, most of them took place off the actual show floor. I think it's funny that people are lamenting the absence of a members' area, when any area can really be a members' area. There are hundreds of tiny Head-fi meets going on at any given time. The show is just the excuse for us to get together.

I think we're thinking about it the wrong way here.

This event is about us. Without us, there is no CanJam. This land is our members area. This city is our Head-fi meet. These waters flow with our liquid mids. These lands quake under the power of our rumbling bass. We are many and we are one. Together, we are CanJam, and in nine days we unite to claim Costa Mesa.

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #613 of 1,119
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back