Sunglasses - best lenses
Oct 26, 2004 at 7:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

jpo245

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone, im looking to get a new pair of sunglasses..
Im looking for something not too sporty, and can be used for both sports and with casual attire...

i have a pair of oakleys. they're ok...

im thinking of the maui jim titanium sports.. they look awesome and they are really really good technology (i heard that maui jim has the absolute best lenses)

Anyone have any comments?

Oct 26, 2004 at 7:58 AM Post #2 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpo245
Hi everyone, im looking to get a new pair of sunglasses..
Im looking for something not too sporty, and can be used for both sports and with casual attire...

i have a pair of oakleys. they're ok...

im thinking of the maui jim titanium sports.. they look awesome and they are really really good technology (i heard that maui jim has the absolute best lenses)

Anyone have any comments?

Arguable...

I never cared for the Maui Jim lens. They're way too dark.

Personally I like Revo lenses the best. Glass lenses ground and polished 9x finer than standard optical quality and then laser coated some ridiculous amount of times. Try on a pair they're VERY nice. If you need polarization, check out the H20 line. Their traveler lense (if it's still around) is also pretty nice.

http://www.revo.com/

Sarengetti Drivers are also nice lenses but the photochromic lens (adjusts light to dark according to available light) while useful looks really goofy.

Oct 26, 2004 at 8:10 AM Post #3 of 43
I actually have these. The lenses are great & very comfortable too.
attachment.php

Oct 26, 2004 at 8:43 AM Post #4 of 43
woo nice frames guys... the revos reallyl look quite cool... not the usual oakley kind... kinda funky if u ask me..

are their lenses really that good?

i've heard people swear by maui jims...
i wonder how revos hold up..

Oct 26, 2004 at 10:38 AM Post #5 of 43
Another for the Revo. I had a pair of Chromatophors which were the most expensive Revos you could get. Outstanding. They would darken in the sun and lighten when you went indoors. Sadly (on both parts) they quit making them due to the fact they didn't sell alot of them. They were either the top of the H20 line or they have quit manufacturing the entire H20 line. Either way I damaged my nice ones and you can't buy a replacement anymore...
cry.gif

Oct 26, 2004 at 10:43 AM Post #6 of 43
I've always liked the Revos. I'd also agree that, while I like the Serenghetti lenses, they are a bit goofy looking. Ditto Ray Ban Ambermatics...I always liked them, however. I wonder if they even MAKE them any more??
confused.gif

My all-time favorites were the old Bolle lenses...they definately don't make THOSE any more, or I'd have a pair today.

I have tended over the years to buy Ray Bans. Not the ones Tom Cruise wore, but something a bit more unusual. The glass lenses, of course (necessary if one is going to wear them at high altitude).

Oct 26, 2004 at 1:40 PM Post #7 of 43
I would recommend getting a frame you like and getting some nice NuPolar lensesin them. These are pretty much it when one talks about polarised lenses.
a bit expensive cos' you will have to get work done by an optometrist.
I have a pair and it is definitely my favorite.

As for frames take a look at the Boomslang model from Bolle.
Very cool and has little vents on it that prevent fogging.

Oct 26, 2004 at 1:51 PM Post #8 of 43
You might consider the Smith Slider series. They make a few different style frames (all comfortable) and you can chg lenses very quickly. I've had polarized lenses and just reg tinted but I'm rough on them and when they get scratched up i just score a new set of lenses (pretty cheap). Bought them not expecting too much and they've become standbys.
CPW

Oct 26, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #9 of 43
Yet another vote for Revo! I love them, even though they can be quite heavy... (if you get headaches easily from heavy glasses then steer clear). My all time favorite sunglasses were the old Sunclouds with Rose lenses... But then Bausch & Lomb bought them and the company went spiraling down. I also like the lenses in the serrengetti's but their frame styles dont mesh well with my 'look'. heh. I've also had a few pairs of Oakleys and I really dont like most of their new styling trends. Even if those Juliets do feel really good... I should check ebay to see if I can't find some original Razor Blades... damn expensive hobbies.

Cheers!
-Jeremy

Oct 26, 2004 at 4:17 PM Post #10 of 43
Look at Revo, as suggested. However, I like Ocean Waves even better than Revo... great polarization (you can read the Maui Jim parrot thingy just fine with em). I bought a pair of Maui Jims and returned them cuz I didn't like them.

The Ocean Wave lenses are at least as good as Revo, if not better (I think they are better, but YMMV). Available online from A Pair of Shades, better pricing than Revo. They are glass so heavier than polycarbonate.

Oct 26, 2004 at 4:17 PM Post #11 of 43
I like Maui Jims, I think the clarity in their lens are as superior as to Revos (also my favorite as I have several pairs). Currently I have a two pairs of Maui Jims Flexons; the Molokini (discontinued) and the currently available Mauna Loa both in Copper lens which aren't too dark for me. The Gunmetal lens are a bit darker. I also have several polarized lensed Revos and the clarity of thru them are astounding like that of the Maui Jims. I have many pairs of Oakleys, more than I can count. The only reason I have so many pairs of Oakleys is that I receive them at a better than those availble at authorized retail outlets, a good friend of mines is a authorized Oakley distributor. I have a pair of Razor Blades (first Oakleys available for retail) with regular lens in excellent condition bought back in 1989 and a pair of Blades Slit lens with Irridium lens unused bought in 1991.

Oct 26, 2004 at 4:47 PM Post #13 of 43
I have Bolle Nitronia's with the polarized sandstone lenses. I like them a lot, maybe not quite at the upper level of lenses but they feel good, solidly constructed and one of the nicest lenses for brightness, coloring and contrast that I've found within a reasonable price range.

Oct 26, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #15 of 43
I buy all of my sunglasses here locally. There are some online retailers with great prices if you google for them by the style of sunglasses. I haven't ordered anything from the online retailers because by the time they charge for shipping I end up pay just about the same as if I were to buy them here locally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back